Happy 10 Year Anniversary To Me

Hubgeezer

Ten years on the Gripboard today. Time flies when you are having fun!

Not setting the world on fire, but I am stronger in EVERTHING than when I started. And, I started at Age 50, which was why I chose the name that I did as a joke. I attended my first grip contest in March of 2004, which was when I found out about this forum. A few months later, I came up with a name that was both descriptive and funny. Being the only Geezer in that first contest, it was the first time in my Life that I realized that I was perceived as being "old". It's been nice, because I have gotten used to it!

Thanks to many for the stories of your own journeys of self-discovery and self-improvement, which are the best reasons to be here.

Hubgeezer

Whoops. Probably should have put this in Goerner's. Sorry!

Edited by Hubgeezer
  • Like 4

Happy decade! And here's to another decade to come :)

You're just getting warmed up Mike - here's to another decade in strength!!!

Every day that we can train and improve is a gift and a blessing. Congrats and keep setting/reaching goals!

Congratulations on 10 years of Grip, and good luck with the next!!

Congrats mates and happy another decades to come :D

Hell yea CONGRATS!

Something tells me that in 10 years, I will not be stronger than I am now. Very grateful it has hung in as long as it has.

By the way, I had been doing grip for more than 5 years before I joined the forum. I may have heard of it in an issue of David Horne's "Iron Grip Magazine" (fantastic magazine by the way, RIP). I had thought that forums were creepy and intentionally stayed away from all of them. Meeting some guys I liked caused me to take the chance. Back then, the forum was completely closed, and you couldn't even view anything.

My favorite "Internet" story has to do with my answering someone's request on the Gripboard to let them spend the night on our hotel room floor for one night while attending the 2005 AOBS Dinner. I checked him out, read his posts, saw his profile in MILO for his CoC Certification, and spoke to someone I personally knew who had met him. My wife, upon hearing about our one-night-roommate: "You are going to let some guy YOU MET ON THE INTERNET SLEEP IN THE SAME ROOM AS MY SON???!!!" She was mad. Looking back at it, it does sound kinda weird, doesn't it?

Happy ten years!

Congrats on 1 decade!!

Something tells me that in 10 years, I will not be stronger than I am now. Very grateful it has hung in as long as it has.

By the way, I had been doing grip for more than 5 years before I joined the forum. I may have heard of it in an issue of David Horne's "Iron Grip Magazine" (fantastic magazine by the way, RIP). I had thought that forums were creepy and intentionally stayed away from all of them. Meeting some guys I liked caused me to take the chance. Back then, the forum was completely closed, and you couldn't even view anything.

My favorite "Internet" story has to do with my answering someone's request on the Gripboard to let them spend the night on our hotel room floor for one night while attending the 2005 AOBS Dinner. I checked him out, read his posts, saw his profile in MILO for his CoC Certification, and spoke to someone I personally knew who had met him. My wife, upon hearing about our one-night-roommate: "You are going to let some guy YOU MET ON THE INTERNET SLEEP IN THE SAME ROOM AS MY SON???!!!" She was mad. Looking back at it, it does sound kinda weird, doesn't it?

Lmao.

I just beat ya to ten years hub. But you're over 20 years ahead in life lol

Lmao.

I just beat ya to ten years hub. But you're over 20 years ahead in life lol

Yeah, I can see your "10 Years 2 Months" on your description. There ought to be some kind of club for the double digit guys.

• Like 1

Nice one Mike! :)

You go through different phases on a forum, regardless of who you are. I imagine the first few years of the forum had a completely different vibe than what it was when I joined. Likewise, it has a different feel now than it did say, three years ago. I don't lament "the good old days" of what I thought I felt when I first joined, as you realize that many respectable top athletes don't post because they are training, they don't feel the need to share their experiences, have full lives and better things to do than to be away from their families. The very evolution of training and the huge body of work concerning training and the sport itself are exponentially greater than when the forum began. Websites, blogs, ebooks, and products that did not exist 10 years ago have exploded.

Nine years ago, I was attending my first AOBS Dinner, and saw a very intense Pat Povilaitus walking through the hotel parking lot. I approached him and introduced myself. He brightened up and said "You're Hubgeezer!" Likewise, two years later, I was competing in the British Grip Nationals, I was in a strange place in a foreign country, and two members who I only knew through their Gripboard names came up to me and introduced themselves, and I had similar reactions. Later, when my wife arrived, I introduced them to her with pride. That may still happen with some members, and it seems so long ago and naive to me now. But it was very real at the time for me.

Lastly, four years ago, Randy Strossen told me IronMind was starting a forum, and he asked me if I was interested in being a Moderator on it. I had three concerns, one of which I don't even remember, and one of which was a condition. The condition could surprise some, but unlikely those who would be surprised would be reading this thread. I told him that I would not do it if I was expected to drop my membership on the Gripboard. At that point, I don't believe that he had ever read anything on the Gripboard, but no doubt had been getting feedback from many over the previous 10 years. To his credit, he said he was okay with it. And, to his credit, he has never complained that I have continued to post here, but there have been a few interesting conversations with him as a result.

The only thing I can say for certain is that I will never invite a stranger from the Gripboard to sleep on my hotel room floor again. I am too old and cranky and set in my ways now to do something like that!

Edited by Hubgeezer