Why Isn't Inverted Gripper Strength Much Stronger?

truth1ness

This has had me curious for a while. If the leverage is better at the end of the handle and your first two fingers are the strongest fingers, then shouldn't holding a gripper in the inverted position with your strongest fingers in the strongest position yield a much stronger close? It seems like with that combo we should see folks with inverted crushes ahead of regular, particularly if you use the same setting width.

Edited by truth1ness

I have wondered the same thing. The only thing I can think of is the strength curve of your fingers, maybe your top 2 fingers are at their strongest point when they are on top. I am probably way off but, that is my theory

Think about the thumb placement man inverted it's at the top and is positioned differentently rather than normally you can position the gripper into your palm and use your thumb pad more efficiently.

I'm no expert either but here's my assumption...the gripper is heaviest at the top near the spring, and then lightest at the bottom. Reason why ironmind rates coc 4's at 365 lbs and rgc is around 215 is because ironmind "rates" them from the middle instead of the bottom. So if your index and middle fingers are strongest, then they would be much better options for the top of the gripper closest to the spring where it's harder, rather than flipping it around and tossing your weak pinky and ring fingers into the endzone.

If i'm wrong, hey at least I tried lol.

• Like 2

Consider that inverting the gripper also inverts the spring direction.

I know of at least one person who is strongest with an inverted gripper in left hand.

This puts the winding in a favorable position.

The conventional close more closely follows the natural path from open hand to clenched fist, the other is it is rarely trained to the same degree...a little dedicated training will more than likely see a big increase in inverted close strength.
Get some willing participants to show a max close then hit a 2 month inverted training cycle and then show the gains or lack thereof. I'm not playing, just a suggestion! ;)

A friend of mine has an extensive background in construction and he is stronger inverted then reg. he said it's from swinging hammers.

I think it's the do with ROM and where your fingers are strongest.

For example, I was always told in judo to grip the opponents gi with only the last 3 fingers (middle/ring/baby) because when you close your hand they are the toughest to break open. Obviously the index and middle are strongest but I personally find that when I make a fist my top two fingers are the easiest to force open. I also feel like I get the most pressure, when squeezing, in my bottom 2 fingers.

Honest answer, I haven't a clue but I thought I'd share my train of thought of it.