Robert Baraban Thumb Screws.

Jose Cabrera

Does anyone know if RB thumb screws fit a Vulcan? How do they compare to David Horne's? Help would be great I have two good options on the table and gotta act fast!

They look identical in every way even down to the tightening bolt. I say they will fit.

I would buy the original and no copy

• Like 1

I believe the baraban is the original. Neither one is patented. Baraban has been making cool stuff like this since 2003.

I believe the baraban is the original. Neither one is patented. Baraban has been making cool stuff like this since 2003.

...and on what do you base this declaration?

Just interested.

Mine are the original.

World of Grip Thumbscrews were first manufactured in Dec 2009.

Thanks for the heads-up Mike. I presume 'Mr Copy' Baraban is copying again, this is what he is called in Europe. He is pretty unbelievable. Look at his shop and you see copies of IronMind, World of Grip and whoever else's stuff. He has NO originality in his body!

• Like 5

Wwhat has mr copy Done for gripsport?

Wwhat hasnt Mr Horne Done?

I say, get Davids units.

He is a standup guy. Helpful with good manners!

• Like 2

Thank you Peter, I/we certainly have tried to help the hobby and sport of grip as much as we can.

• Like 1

David

I really had no idea you were the first. He's been making stuff since 2003 and I've been seeing these for years. I looked to see if I could find patent numbers and back search the dates, but I had no luck. Copying is bound to happen. Something good comes out and some one tweaks it and passes it off as their own. To be honest I didn't think anyone was copying or stealing ideas, just thought it was barabans version. Like ghp vs ironmind vs gnc grippers. Some one had to be first.

Thanks for all the input guys, EJ thanks again for being such a helpful guy.....seriously! Mr. Horne I own several of your products and have been nothing but 100% happy with them. If things go right I will have a pair of DH thumb screws asap.

EJ,

Firstly let me talk about the Thumbscrew development, and incidentally the name 'Thumbscrew' was my idea.

The development of the Thumscrew was started by a member of my forum, Bill Hays. He has developed many ideas for shooting, etc, and his 'V-pinch Developer' was the forerunner to the Thumbscrew. Bill kindly licenced us to produce this piece of apparatus. This is how people with integrity go about business.

Another person with integrity is the American Weldon Stogsdill of this forum, he designed and built the Vulcan Death Grip after we licenced him to do this. Now he took the idea and created something quite different, and visually very pleasing. I still have two of his grippers in my collection, as no doubt others on this forum have.

Contacting, conversing, and designing new ideas have been achieved by others, but not by Baraban.

His items are all copied, with no discussion with the originators. He has no thoughts on developing something better, or for the sport of grip. No it is only to fill his pockets with some more Euros.

The changes he does are miniscule: Two stripes on a gripper (only when he was told he couldn't go with one), Randy can expand on this. Knurling on the Vulcan, and a longer tube on the Thumbscrew. Really, is this developing?!

People may think I have something against Baraban; well we have to remember that this is a person who used to phone me for lengthy chats on grip, write to me, etc, way back in the 1990s. He was a friend, and this is why it was very tough to take, that a "friend" would do this.

Hopefully this gives you the low down on the situation.

Edited by David Horne
  • Like 2

I bet Mr copy doesnt have a WR in euro pinch or has a wonderful wife that also is in the absolute top elite grippster level tho :)

Edited by PeterSweden
  • Like 1

Also let's not forget Mike Condrin who took over building those Vulcan Death Grip grippers - another top person, full of integrity!

The likes of Baraban will always have his pedigree in the grip world tainted by this kind of shenanigans.

Let us give more kudos to the good people in this business of grip, starting with the grandfather of modern grippers Warren Tetting. Then followed by Randall J. Strossen, the father of modern grippers.

• Like 1

Hmm—there's a lot I could say here, but I think the best summary of RB came from a fellow I know who said of Baraban, "He is like Chinese factory in the middle of Austria."

Yes, as EJ points out, inspiration and evolution are natural, and I think they are good for the market, but there are bottom feeders who simply offer cookie cutter knockoffs—they steal/borrow/are inspired by a ground-breaking product and then they might add a ring or two to a gripper handle or maybe splash on some chrome, but make no mistake about it: they are doing their best to imitate and ride on the coattails of the original product and I would guess that their main contribution to marketplace is giving customers a second-tier alternative. I've seen some of these second/third tier alternative priced equal to or higher than the real McCoy, so the bottom line here is that consumers need to be thinking about how and where they are spending their hard earned money and not be duped by the typically overstated claims of the copycats.

Incidentally, my feeling is that there are things that went into the design of the original product that are not apparent on its surface so it's not like these me-too/wannabe guys have quite the roadmap or quite the handle (ahem) on guaranteed success that they might think at first glance when they go into knockoff mode.

Anyway, I feel bad for David—I've gone through this for so long and have had so many former "friends" and colleagues turn around and try to pick IronMind's pocket that I have developed sort of a detached cynicism about the process.

Edited by Randall Strossen
  • Like 2

David produces a unique line of well-made products that cannot be beat for developing usable strength. His shipping and service are both excellent, and you are buying from the man who stands by his original designs.