"l" Drill Rod In Imp's

king crusher

The last time I bent was a couple weeks ago when I only slightly kinked the red. After that my hands hurt for about a week on and off.

Today I decided to go for the L. I warmed up with a 1/4"x 6" bolt that bent like a wet noodle.

The L was noticeably harder throughout then the k. But still not a max especially on the sweep and crush.

After the bend I only felt slight discomfort in my right knuckle. Which was where I was most sore after the red.

Here's the video with a funny surprise visit from my toddler.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1GNtpFfm3tI

I know I kinda dropped my hands for the crush but honestly it was nothing. For me the kink is the hardest only because I can't get in the best position for good leverages.

Very nice bend.

You are progressing nicely. Dude you have a pretty big neck, once you figure out how to engage your neck and upper back your kink will sky rocket. You will kink almost anything you touch. Something to try next time though, you are losing some of your power on the sweep into the crush. Next time try to interlace your fingers as soon as possible. Don't do the one hand open and closed thing. I think you will have more power that way. When you interlace your fingers you can pull your fingers apart(but not apart, hard to explain) and crush with your palms. That generates more force, at least for me.

Thanks guys. EJ, how do I go about activating my neck and back?

Thanks guys. EJ, how do I go about activating my neck and back?

It's one of those things like "how do you ride a bike?" Trial and error. I have found the stronger my neck the stronger my kink.

1. I rest the bar on my Adam's apple

2. Put chin into chest as deep as possible

3. Compress the back of my skull into my spine

4. Compress muscles until almost shaking and slowly release.

I have found the slow release of force allows me to generate lots of power. If you watch my kink on hard stuff, it never kinks right away. It starts to kink after a second or second and a half. That's me generating the force and releasing it as needed. When I hold the hits I'm not losing power, I'm building power. I don't want to exert any more strength than is needed. All my bends are relatively slow for this reason. I cannot just unleash on a bar or go balls to the wall. I can't control anything that way. I have short twitch muscles and I can activate a bigger percentage of my muscle than the average person. I know this because I was tested at Johns Hopkins when I was 23-24 for rhumitoid arthritis, I was misdiagnosed.

I'm not sure if any of that helps you, I hope it does. My ability to activate more muscle fibers is how I can get all my muscles to work together. But I only have one maybe two shots at it before I'm jelly and ready for a nap. It's the same at the gym and lifting heavy, 3-5 reps 1 set and I'm done.

Edited by EJ Livesey

I can activate a bigger percentage of my muscle than the average person.

Understatement of the year :tongue:rolleyes:D

• Like 1

Thanks guys. And I will try to apply those tips next time EJ. Thanks.

Next up is a piece of "M" which according to the az bending chart, is a big jump from the L?

L says 370 and M says 405. What do you guys think?

Edited by king crusher

I can relate to what EJ said. I'm a relatively slow bender as well although not up there with the stuff he bends......yet. Plus, if it's something I've already bent before, I can get a better workout by bending it slowly and letting it cool down in between hits.

You wont know for sure on the drill rod until you try it. May surprise you one way or another but you can get it.

I may give the M a go tonight. Only the red has proved painful to my hands the next day so far. So I feel fine to bend again.

Give that m a go king let us know how it went

I'm thinkin today I'll give it a go. I'll post it when I do. That should put me over 400lbs then.

Just don't rush the bend. See how your hands and knuckles feel and go from there. If you have any pain while bending, shut down. Don't try to push through the pain, call it a day.

You're getting into the range where relatively new benders hurt themselves and say screw it. This is the weight area that can make or break your bending career.

Edited by EJ Livesey
  • Like 1

Just don't rush the bend. See how your hands and knuckles feel and go from there. If you have any pain while bending, shut down. Don't try to push through the pain, call it a day.

You're getting into the range where relatively new benders hurt themselves and say screw it. This is the weight area that can make or break your bending career.

I agree with this 100%.

EJ how hard will the M be compared to the L? Or a difference of about 35lbs.

Another question I was wondering, would a 6" piece of red nail be harder or is it actually easier because of being able to get better leverage on the smaller piece?

EJ how hard will the M be compared to the L? Or a difference of about 35lbs.

It really depends on the drill rod. You won't notice that much on the kink, where you will feel it is on the sweep to the crush. I've had M drill rod rate at 405 and I've had all rate at 390. So it really depends on the steel, it's a crap shoot. On average the M is 25-30lbs heavier. And on average the red is 420-440. Don't be worried, just bend it. Don't worry about numbers worry about diameter.

Another question I was wondering, would a 6" piece of red nail be harder or is it actually easier because of being able to get better leverage on the smaller piece?

6" stuff is the devil. No question. I have Q bars rated at 765 @ 6 and 595 @ 7. So 6" stuff really ramps up. Be ready for a fight. You don't really get more leverage because your fingers and knuckles get in each others way. It's really a whole new animal.

If the kink is not more noticeable then the M is as good as dead. Because I can tell I have more in the sweep and crush. The kink is my weak link because it feels weird getting into position. I am gonna stretch first.

Sorry stupid auto-correct on the iphone.

I've had L drill rod rate at 390 and M at 405. So I've had L rate very high and M rate mediumish.

Don't over think this. You've got it. Just do it, take your time and focus your strength. But the second you feel weird pain, stop. Lots of guys give up here because of injury that could be avoided.

Okay I'll post up later tonight if I get time to try it

As EJ has said don't over think poundages and calibration. Steel varies so much. Poundages are good as a generalization of steel but unless it's been directly calibrated it will be a crap shoot.

Wrap it up and give it hell! You'll know soon enough if it's going to bend!

Okay I'll post up later tonight if I get time to try it

You probably won't have trouble with it. I did have a freak M bar that was harder than any Red I ever bent. I never actually completed a bend.

I'll know right away if it's in the same league as the red.