Strap Holds

Big Steve

O great grip guys give good advice please! These strap holds are playing with my mind. I am moving up in weight and time but I am not seeing any improvement. Holding 20# with filed down #2 for 20 or 30 secs. Should I add more weight or hold it longer? Thanks guys!

Guest Harlan Jacobs

I would say go up in weight. Longer holds will help build inderence but will do little for for that last 1/4"-1/8". Hit some negitives to.

More weight opposed to more time. The thinner the strap the better.

If you could find it, the best solution would be a harder gripper and less weight. Once I get up heavy in weight, my little wussy wrists hurt. You will get more benifit from a heavier gripper and less weight though.

I agree 100% with Heath-get a tougher gripper if you can. I was ding some major heavy strap holds with my #2 before I realized that it was way to much on my shoulder and wrist and moved to the PDA 387. Much better.

Steve-you can borrow my 387 if you need a high gripper that is easier than the #3.

Rick Walker :rock

Thanks guys I am taking y'alls advices. Rick helped me get my strap holding on the right track today. It is amazing how 1 1/4#, 3#, and 5# can work you to death. My strap was too fat. Just like the rest of me. :blush

Steve you might try using a metal ruler or something simular instead of the straps. The stap holds from iron mind tend to grap the knarling on the handle. Metal on metal is definately more difficult. :stuart

Guest sjeff70

The shorter you hold the staphold the better. I'd keep it under 5 seconds. Will you ever need to hold a #3 closed for longer than that?

I also found doing stapholds with a gripper I can't close only impedes my progress.

Jeff

How would you do a strap hold on a gripper you can't close? Do you mean something like adding a small block in addition to the strap to get past a sticking point?

How would you do a strap hold on a gripper you can't close?

By using a thick strap.

Eg if you can get a gripper to 5mm, using a 10mm strap for holds.