O-1 Drill Rod "k" In Imp's

king crusher

Okay so today I did a heavy back workout at the gym. Doing some really heavy rack pulls among other things. On a side note I feel pretty good about a PR on rack pulls today of 675.

So I got home and decided to try a K.

I really feel like I'm applying more power into these bends now. Each rod is actually feeling easier even though in reality they are thicker, harder steel. Awesome.

I used some of your guys advice and didn't bend over as much. I also used more speed when applying the force to the bar instead of rolling into the power. I feel the speed worked better.

I got it to 1.5"

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hewe3xfMeaU

When training to certify on the red I started taking the time to re-wrap every bar with the IMP as the tighter you can get the wrap the more you can use the wrap for leverage like you would with a suede wrap. To me the tightness in the wrap made a significant difference. Have you tried any of the plates steel bars yet?

Hey Lucas. I wrapped that K really tight right before the video and just slid one end out to show the bar. I have not tried your bars yet be will soon. Because I am going in order of hardness. I'm assuming your bars are around the L-M range? Except those SS bars are those things harder then a red?? I will get to those too after the red.

I watch my red attempts and can't believe how bad I was holding them. The ends were not even in my palms at all. My hands were way to close together. The timber ties folded very easy even with that close grip but not a red lol.

From reading the az grip chart a K is around 360 an L is around 370 and a M is 405. That is a bigger jump then the I j k l. So the M should feel a little tougher.

I did smash the K in half the time as the two I's and J. So I'm happy about that.

And thanks again Lucas for those bars!!

Nice job. Typically, the stainless is harder than drill rod in any given size. I've had some drill rod from fastenal lately that varies like crazy. I've got some 5/16 that way easier than a red and the very next batch was at least 100 pounds harder.

The crush on stainless is unlike anything else. Once you hammer a piece, you'll know what I mean.

Thanks Tim. I may go for an L tonight. Seems the jump from L to M is the biggest of all my drill rod.

Once you get the (M) the Red will be right around

the corner

Yeah I timed the K bend at 17sec. But prob had it to 2" in about 13-14 sec. So I know I have a lot left in me. The L isn't much harder it looks like than the K so I may take it down tonight then rest a few days for the M.

form is almost down. being as i have a passion for the double overhand bending, i cant help but help where i can.

while you are no where near a crush max on that bend, it would still be wise to practice keeping the bar close to your neck on the crush. you had it high on the kink and sweep, but then let your hands down. ..which wasnt a problem on that bend. it was easy for you. but keeping the hands close to the chin/neck will help protect the biceps and pecs. and namely so on the crush. you may not notice now, but as you begin to crush steel that is closer to your max, you will feel more tension on the biceps and pecs the further your hands move downward. so im hoping this post saves you some pain later. also, on the crush- chalk the entire hand (backsides and between every finger). it helps. it will reduce "slipping" between the fingers on an interlock and help save skin. no slip of the fingers on the crush=no lost skin between fingers. no lost skin between the fingers=more brunt force to the bar, and no lost skin=more bending sessions.

^^Truth^^ excellent point on the crush.

King crusher, your bending is looking so much better. Your technique is starting get dialed in. Don't forget to add some volume work in to build the bone, tendon strength of your hands. You need to build a solid base to prepare the hands physically for much harder stock.

Keep up the great work!

Great advice/postmudhut, thanks for that. I will for sure keep them higher next time. And I'll put chalk on the tops too.

Sean, yeah usually my hands near the index fingers first knuckle and web area between index and thumb are sore a little after bending. Ever sense those first bad red attempts. Not constant of course but just when I use my hands in an awkward manner that stresses them.

It's Weird that gym lifting doesn't bother them for the most part. After a long workout it does a little sometimes. But it's the weird torque that bending applies.

Edited by king crusher

Everything said is spot on advice. I really agree with Tommy. Keep the crush up as high as possible. Move your body to accommodate the crush as needed, lean back/forward, from side to side etc.

Thanks for all the help guys. Another video will be posted tonight......

Yeah the 5/16 SS stock is estimated around 530-540 (by JT Straussner and Robert Miller) so it is definitely harder than the red nail and the crush is crazy hard compared to the Red Nail!!

Wow that's not gonna happen for awhile. Glad to know where it rates though! The drill rod has a little flex you can feel when your bending. Not so with the red really. I imagine zero flex on the ss

Wow that's not gonna happen for awhile. Glad to know where it rates though! The drill rod has a little flex you can feel when your bending. Not so with the red really. I imagine zero flex on the ss

yea it will.. once you got form on lockdown it may only take you a month or two to blow through any 7" shiny. just stay hungry and it will happen.

And toughen those hands and skin. You will have the strength but the pain will cripple you. And yes the SS will "flex" as well. But it's more of a binding feeling. It's a great workout.

Cool thanks for the encouragement guys. Hands are just starting to feel better today. That's crazy.

My skins ok it's just my hands. Like the joints or bones? And my body never gets close to being sore just the hands. It sucks.

Contrast baths after your last bend, tiger balm before bed, it works wonders!

Contrast baths make me sick. They actually make me queasy, from the extreme hot to cold. However for me just heat and basic finger stretches work. The idea is to move dirty blood out and clean blood it. So hot baths for me along with lots of tiger balm. I would cover myself from elbow to knuckles and wear tube socks on my arms while sleeping. I did this for almost 10 months everyday. Now it only hurts if I break/fracture something or have tendon stress.

However, contrast baths work for everyone I have ever talked to and tiger balm is really a gift from God. Jcab is 100% right with what he is telling you. And the pain will eventually stop.

• Like 1

What are contrast baths? Hot and cold tubs of water? And what's tiger balm? Is that an Asian balm?

For the baths Hot to cold, for 10 to 30 seconds. Yes tiger balm is an asian ointment, it really warms and relieves pain, you can find it at most pharmacies, or just order some online. You can say its like icy hot, sans icy.

Edited by jcab

Cool thanks for that info. My hands felt good today until my workout tonight. By the end they hurt again. Dang!! But I did pr on bench!! 315x3 so I'm happy about that!

• Like 1

Good bench brother. Do you ever hit any overhead presses too.

Thanks man. Yeah im at 245x1 seated barbell and I've done that same weight standing strict also.

I hate to say I told you so but that's exactly what happened to me years ago. Felt good and really felt like I was ready to hit it again but it flared right back up. I'm no doctor but I'm told it was tendonitis and man did it hurt.

Yeah it sucks! I don't know what arthritis would feel like but I'm betting like my hands have felt. When they were cold it seemed worse.

I have that slightly bent red sitting in my home gym and I stare it down daily lol. I think because it's slightly bent now that when I feel up to attacking it it's gonna go down. What do you guys think? Kinda a head start so to speak.

You'll get it. I seem to take 2 steps forward and 1 step back with IMPs. I feel like I have a breakthrough a couple workouts ago, then last workout I can't seem to get it to "feel right" and put power into the bar where it's not pinching my finger or something like that. I've got a blood blister right now on my index finger that you'd have to see it to believe.

I really wished Ironmind would've just used a slightly larger pad. Somebody will have to have cast iron hands to cert the gold nail.