Recieved My 3rd #3 And A New #4

Bob Lipinski

Just an update-

My first #3 is from 98-99, the other 2 ordered within the last month. Don't know if this is coincidence or not, but my 2 newer ones are much, much easier. A 2.75 or less in terms of my old set of grippers.

The new #4 is around the same, or little easier. The handle width is about of a quarter of an inch less though, which makes it much easier.

Has everyone found the new grippers to be much easier?

Wannagrip commented on this a few months ago, warning us of a sudden flood of Coc's certifying on the wimpy new #3's.

Bob,

can you no-set close any of your #3's?

My #3 I bought last year was about the same strength as Tony Scrivens gripper I certified on and his is from the mid 90's, although I think the handles on Tony's 3 were a little wider.

Bob,

What did the packaging for your newer grippers look like?? My newer #2 was in a white, red, blue packaging.whereas all my other grippers were in grey packaging.

Jon@han

Bob,

no question about it...I ordered my first #3 in 95..and it's substanitally harder than the 3's that have been received after this time ( 2001 & one that was received last month ). I would estimate that the later ordered 3's would be equivalent to be between a "2 2/3- 2 3/4" of the 3 that I ordered in 95.....I should add that the #3 ordered in 95 no longer has the knurl and is substanitally wider than the grippers ordered thereafter....even still, the total pressure required seems to be about 10-15% harder to close than grippers most recently received.

My #3 came in a plastic bag. No cardboard packaging red or blue. Maybe they're made in Strossen's backyard shed!

The new ones came in the red, white, and blue packaging, but my old ones came in just a bag like OldGuy's.

All of mine came in the plastic bag, except for one double stamped #2 and two double stamped #3's, which came shrink wrapped with a gray backing. Red white and blue packaging might correspond to yet another change in the #3's, but I wouldn't count on them all being easy, remember Wannagrip bought a #4 that was a rear bear, with very close spring mounts. Spring mount can make as much of a difference as width.

Bob, how deep are the handles set on your new #3's compared to your old one?

The handles seem to be set at about the same depth, if anything they are set deeper on the newer ones.

The new grippers are about 1/4 inch narrower than my old ones.