Important Fatman Blob Question

rico300zx

I have an opportunity to buy a fat man blob but I would really like the 100 side I know its a fat man because I have seen the York side it has no stamp do you think I'll have a problem proving that it's a fat man if I buy the 100 sidewhich do you think would be more desirableif you had a choice

I hear you. For ease of proving alone, I would by the York side. A scale will show its weight.

Other than that, the way to prove it is handle size, and the silhouette of the Blob. The Fatman handle is slightly smaller.

• Like 1

Hey thanks Jedd, well hopefully I can get it for the same price, traditionally the numbered sides are worth more and are more desirable by blob owners. But in this case I guess its the opposite?

On a second note the handle size was discussed before and I thought it was brought up by richard sorin that not all fatman blobs have the smaller diameter handle since they were bending. Or are you 100% sure that the fatman only has the thinner handle?

I hear you. For ease of proving alone, I would by the York side. A scale will show its weight.

Other than that, the way to prove it is handle size, and the silhouette of the Blob. The Fatman handle is slightly smaller.

Ok thanks guys, york side it is then

Richard is the person to ask on that. That specific detail may have eluded me.

Richard is the person to ask on that. That specific detail may have eluded me.

ok ill have to ask him about it then and let you guys know.

The First blob was a York side proving its origin with no USA stamp( as in thinner second gen) if it is a Fatman it will likely weigh on an accurate scale more than 50 anyway. So, get a paint pen and write accurate weight on it so there is no confusion. I think having a 100 on one side is misleading enough . If yo can correctly lift a Fatman ......well ,you are part of grip history!

York side.

Richard is it true that there are 2 different thickness handles on york dumbells? If so is it possible that either thickness can be found on the fatman variety? For some reason I believe you were talking about this a few years back. I myself have noticed both but they were not 100lb dumbells. I dont know the years of the ones i saw either, but they were not stamped USA .

They used a early straight 1 1/10" handle on every Fatman I have ever seen. Later, the handle was thickened to 1 1/8" and squashed on each end into a fishtail shape to lock the handle into the casting. No USA was cast into a Fatman on the York end.

The second generation bells were flatter in profile with the thicker fish tail handle and always the USA cast into the head on the York side. The only difference I have ever seen was what appears to be a second generation YORK bell ( the Blue Blob) that did not have USA cast into it. This was I think a first attempt for York to keep up with commodity based fitness stores and casted an imported ,sporty, blue painted bell. (( it weighs right on 50) I hope this helps

Richard then would you agree.....say if you had the 100 side and that if the handle measures 1 1/10 then its a fatman and if its 1 1/8 then its not. Just deduction what do you think?

That's only. 025" difference. It might be hard to to measure that kind of difference on a a sawed flush handle.

Yes I would bet more than a little on it. It seems not a large amount( like ( .284 on a #3 gripper spring and my .295 on my Phantom) but it is pretty easy to check with a decent caliper or trained eye. The difference visually is quite different. Another fair giveaway is unless re painted a Fatman usually has little or no paint on it and it is a brown rust patina from handling and clanging together over the years.

Hey guys got the fatman in the mail today. See my gallery for the pics.

• Like 1

Cool thread, I just got a half 90 fatman but the previous

owner said the yorkside was pre usa stamp so i already

no but this is interesting.

Congrats. Did stamps (or lack of )and handle info match up?

yes everything lined up!
  • Like 1

Good info. My york 100 usa stamp half (number side) also confirms those handle measurements.

nice pick up

thanks

• 9 years later...
On 5/13/2014 at 8:12 AM, 1stCoC said:

The First blob was a York side proving its origin with no USA stamp( as in thinner second gen) if it is a Fatman it will likely weigh on an accurate scale more than 50 anyway. So, get a paint pen and write accurate weight on it so there is no confusion. I think having a 100 on one side is misleading enough . If yo can correctly lift a Fatman ......well ,you are part of grip history!

Is every York side blob that lacks a USA stamp a first generation?  Are there any later generations or versions of York dumbbells that do not have a USA stamp on the York logoed head?

5 hours ago, RITParent15 said:

Is every York side blob that lacks a USA stamp a first generation?  Are there any later generations or versions of York dumbbells that do not have a USA stamp on the York logoed head?

Just checked my York Legacy 125. No USA stamp on the York side.  @VintageWeightsPGH may have other examples besides the Legacy line.

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, RITParent15 said:

Yes as long as the lettering matches that of a pre-USA York Roundhead. Legacy York Roundheads had different lettering. 

I mainly collect/use letter side blobs for this reason. It’s definitive proof of either USA or pre-USA. Number side gets questionable. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RITParent15 said:

This was answered above:

On 5/13/2014 at 12:00 PM, 1stCoC said:

The only difference I have ever seen was what appears to be a second generation YORK bell ( the Blue Blob) that did not have USA cast into it. This was I think a first attempt for York to keep up with commodity based fitness stores and casted an imported ,sporty, blue painted bell. (( it weighs right on 50) I hope this helps