What Nails Are You Guys Bending?

Clay Edgin

Obviously, I'm not going to give Brookfield a run for his money anytime soon but I'd like to see who else is bending what size bars. Last weekend I decided to start bending, so I cut several lengths of 1/4" HRS at 6", 7", and 8" long and bent them this weekend. That 6" bar damn near killed my hands. I probably shouldn't have done it last when my hands were hurting. I'm doing this unbraced of course.

What are you guys bending? And how long did it take you before you started progressing to thicker nails?

Hi Clay,

6"x1/4" HRS is a good bend. If you want to bend something a little tougher try progressing on 3/8" Aluminum stock, and then some 60penny nails (6"x1/4", but tougher alloy than HRS).

The jump from the 6"x1/4" HRS to even 9"x5/16" HRS is a big one, and I haven't quite made it yet.

Robert

Progress slowly.

That's great advice !

I bend a blue nail from time to time (they are very expensive for a frenchy ;) ) and some "easy" 60Ps . The hardest nails i've bent so far are 6.5*160mms nails. Thicker than the 60Ps but also a bit longer. Definitely harder than the blue nail.

Amaury.

Clay,

I bent an ironmind blue nail last week. The next day I ordered some from ironmind and intend to incorporate bending into my grip workouts since it is so much fun. I'd never really bent steel before and the blue was very difficult. The red nail seems impossible and in my mind is as great if not a greater accomplishment than a #4 close. How Brookfield bent one with 1" cut off is beyond my comprehension.

<i>lengths of 1/4" HRS at 6", 7", and 8" long </i><br><br>

I am unfamiliar with HRS, could someone help me out with what it is and where to get it?

Thanks,

The red nail seems impossible and in my mind is as great if not a greater accomplishment than a #4 close.

Yup, how anyone bends that crazy thing is a marvel!