Where The Heck Is Kinney? Etc..

jvance

Bored..... Got to thinking, what happened to some of the top gripper guys in the game??? Guys like Vogt, Kinney, Heslep, Holle...etc.... They burn out? Quit grip? What the heck. All of these guys were inspirational to me when I started out, now they're all silent. Weird, yes I got a bit bored but seriously....

• Like 1

I think they may have been hiding in that can of worms... oh, it opened again.

• Like 2

According to the IM forum, Kinney still corresponds with Randy. Don't know that he has done any grip work lately.

I'm surprised Vogt hasn't posted or anything. Really enjoyed his videos. Very strong dude.

• Like 1

I speak with Jonathan Vogt from time to time. He hasn't been training grippers lately because hes busy working and arm wrestling. He had a minor injury at one point. Hes an elite arm wrestler. Hes like 2nd in the Midwest in arm wrestling. He plans on coming back to grippers and eventually making a run at certifying the COC #4. Hes the type of guy who likes to take time off here and there.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

Very glad to hear that Vogt hasnt quit grip.

I want to see that coc4 die CSS by his hands, soon.

• Like 1

I think the next runner up for the #4 at this point probably is Paul Savage, he's the only one coming out of the dark with his efforts directly focused on CCS-ing the #4.

He's also capable of doing it.

I think for guys like Tommy Heslep, he's a authentic strongman. And people want to see amazing things from a strongman, not grippercloses. We can think a #4 close is amazing, but the general public doesn't have a clue what a gripperclose is all about. So I can imagine Tommy doesn't work on that to much. As for Kinney, he does seem to appear in videos and articles of Functional Handstrength but I think the man left grippertraining behind him. Gabriel Sum Injured, etc. That sums it up I think.

Nathan Holle however is a mystery to me...with all this modern day social media and other platforms on the internet one would think a guy like him would come to the surface now and than.

I would be very interested in who he actually is, how he trains, etc. Apparently he doesn't compete otherwise we would know by now.

I think the next runner up for the #4 at this point probably is Paul Savage, he's the only one coming out of the dark with his efforts directly focused on CCS-ing the #4.

He's also capable of doing it.

I think for guys like Tommy Heslep, he's a authentic strongman. And people want to see amazing things from a strongman, not grippercloses. We can think a #4 close is amazing, but the general public doesn't have a clue what a gripperclose is all about. So I can imagine Tommy doesn't work on that to much. As for Kinney, he does seem to appear in videos and articles of Functional Handstrength but I think the man left grippertraining behind him. Gabriel Sum Injured, etc. That sums it up I think.

Nathan Holle however is a mystery to me...with all this modern day social media and other platforms on the internet one would think a guy like him would come to the surface now and than.

I would be very interested in who he actually is, how he trains, etc. Apparently he doesn't compete otherwise we would know by now.

I were in touch with heslep about a year ago or something and he said he couldn't really close big grippers (#4) because his elbow tendonitis made it hurt too much.

I could see Holle certing the 4. Ghp9 cert

how much closer could you get to the 4 ccs.

• Like 1

I could see Holle certing the 4. Ghp9 cert

how much closer could you get to the 4 ccs.

Holle is certified on the #4 as is Heslep. Both pre CCS rule.

I feel like grip ran its course for most of the top guys. Take the Mash Monster ladder for example. A very small percentage of those guys are still active.

• Like 1

I feel like grip ran its course for most of the top guys. Take the Mash Monster ladder for example. A very small percentage of those guys are still active.

I think that CCSing the #4 is considered end of the road for a lot of gripper people.

I think that CCSing the #4 is considered end of the road for a lot of gripper people.

Sure for 3 of them

• Like 1

Just speaking for myself - after ten years I have trouble staying motivated for grip feats I have already accomplished. Life goes on, interests change, families happen, and things that seemed so important no longer do so. Add in the whole age and injury thing and people will always come and go in anything - not just grip.

• Like 2

I could see Holle certing the 4. Ghp9 certhow much closer could you get to the 4 ccs.

I no that i mean be the first to CCS certify.

Just speaking for myself - after ten years I have trouble staying motivated for grip feats I have already accomplished. Life goes on, interests change, families happen, and things that seemed so important no longer do so. Add in the whole age and injury thing and people will always come and go in anything - not just grip.

Well said and i agree, but it still would be nice for them to come on the Gb and say hello every now and again. I'd like to think that we're all not just grip colleagues but also somewhat friends here.

I could see Holle certing the 4. Ghp9 certhow much closer could you get to the 4 ccs.

With what he did on the GHP9 he could certainly do that if he wished. Probably not interested since he is already certified.

With what he did on the GHP9 he could certainly do that if he wished. Probably not interested since he is already certified.

But how cool would that be???

But how cool would that be???

"Soooooooo coooool"

"Alright Alright Alright Alright Alright Alright Alright Alright Alright okay now ladies.."

• Like 1

I think injuries, have held a lot of guys back... Then there is the back and forth with your strength with grippers- can really make you move on. And if you don't stay around it, you find yourself not training like you used to. Then it's another uphill battle to get it back after something motivates you again. Being active here, is a great help; It Reminds us all, when we get busy, that we still love training... And want to achieve our goals.

Vogt was very close in his last video... You don't just give up from there... Unless he was hurting. Magnus was a one and done, did it and moved on. Kinney went through a battle, then the fight was over. Heslep... I can sympathize with... My elbows don't want to set any grippers lately.

Well we got some new top dogs, I believe

will see some amazing stuff. Chez, Cancrusher, Vano

Tommy Jennings, just to name a few.

• Like 2

Jonathan was really close. Ccs is a big difference

From parallel

Personally I doubt anyone will CCS a new #4

I don't know about that cancrusher already closed a ghp #9 and he is still a teen. He has only done grip about 2 years or less also.

I kind of wonder why paul knight or adam glass haven't competed much recenly though. Adam is still active online at least but hasn't really been active with grip despie his success with it. I was hoping to see him crush some records at nationals at his new lean weight.

Edited by Stephen Ruby
  • Like 1

Stephen I am sure there are people who COULD do it, Cancrusher included, but that's different from actually having the fire and drive TO do it. Crusher has moved on to other training already. Burke or others of his size could do it, but they would actually have to devote time to training it and they don't seem interested to do so.

I believe Paul is focused on family life (from what I have heard) and Adam is into BJJ and learning to fly. There are rumors he intends to return to bending.