Technique Tips On Plate Pinching

PeterSweden

Are there any key points you need to have in mind when you pinch plates?

I know Juha Harju did a video of "how it possible" or how he pulls the lifts off but it was mainly in finnish and I dont understand what he is saying.

Im lifting my wide and slick 35lbsers within the next two months!

Help moi!

Squeeze really tight.

Ohh, good one.

I'll think of that from now on.

• Like 3

The plates used make a HUGE difference - find the best matching, thinnest, and flattest ones you can. Chalk the plates where they touch together as this will help them not to slide. Then set your thumb in opposition to the middle of your hand - between your middle and ring fingers - if the plates have a tendency to turn as you pick them up, your thumb is wrong. This is different than what is used for the Two Had Pinch.

• Like 4

The plates used make a HUGE difference - find the best matching, thinnest, and flattest ones you can. Chalk the plates where they touch together as this will help them not to slide. Then set your thumb in opposition to the middle of your hand - between your middle and ring fingers - if the plates have a tendency to turn as you pick them up, your thumb is wrong. This is different than what is used for the Two Had Pinch.

Ohh, perfect tip! I'll wright it down and take with me down in the basement :)

I only have two pair of 35lbers and they are all the same so I'll have to play around with what I got for now :)

Thanks Chris!

Squeeze really tight.

Ohh, good one.

The most important part of all!

Squeeze really tight.

Ohh, good one.

It is not as obvious as you might think.

I tried to pinch 15kg plates sometime ago and could not do it. Then i tried to put more pressure with my thumb and lift was quite easy. Simple thing but took some time to realize.

• Like 1

Squeeze really tight.

Ohh, good one.

It is not as obvious as you might think.

I tried to pinch 15kg plates sometime ago and could not do it. Then i tried to put more pressure with my thumb and lift was quite easy. Simple thing but took some time to realize.

Yeah, true.

Same goes for rolling thunder.

When I started training on the rolling thunder I just held it in a static kind of way.

Now I crush it like I would a gripper.

Makes sence when you put it like that.

I thought that he was just trying to be funny.

I was trying to give some good fundamental advice while also being humorous. Haha.

It's true though, I think a lot of times, we just get in the routine of grabbing the implement and pulling, and are most focused on just the idea of locking out, when really we are ignoring the most important part: being focused on putting as much pressure into the squeeze as possible. I know I've caught myself doing it before. Like you mentioned with the rolling thunder, I've caught myself just "grabbing and going" and when I realized that, I concentrated on squeezing as hard as possible before beginning the pull, and always do better when I'm aware of that.

So, humorous, but very real advice: squeeze the $#!+ out of it.

• Like 1

Chris has already covered much of what I intended to say.

One addition that really helped me in getting the 2x35s is using a scale to measure my progress.

Either a small postal scale or an analog bathroom scale would work.

• Like 1

I tried using less chalk recently on a 2 45 pinch and I actually got decent air on it for the first time ever. I think some plates with too much chalk on them just get really slippery. You need like a perfect balance and its hard to know what that is depending on the plate and weather.

I want to purchase some liquid chalk for this exact reason in that I think it will be a better chalk to use for friction lifts. I don't have any to experiment with though right now.

Also a lot of the similar techniques that daniel goes over on lifting the blob has been helping me also. Really great video on some things to think about and work on.

Edited by Stephen Ruby
  • Like 2

I tried using less chalk recently on a 2 45 pinch and I actually got decent air on it for the first time ever. I think some plates with too much chalk on them just get really slippery. You need like a perfect balance and its hard to know what that is depending on the plate and weather.

I experienced that today after rechalking, it slipped more than in the beginning!

I will keep that in mind too mate!

Edited by PeterSweden

Chris' info is really good on this topic. Pay really close attention to his remarks on the finger placement. I have always believed that finger placement on thick pinching is more important than hand size. I used to pinch with my thumb way up closer to my index finger and this did not work for me. As Chris stated, I experimented moving my thumb farther and farther down, more opposite the middle of my opposing hand and things really took off from there. Experiment which locations of your fingers works best for you and mark the implement with tape, white-out, etc. for your thumb and fingers. Once you find your sweet-spot, train only with the exact finger placement. Your pinch will exceed your expectations when you find the best spot for your hand/finger shape.

Good luck

• Like 2

I've never thought about putting the thumb in that placement. Just kinda put it on there like billy jack said... More towards the index finger. Will have to try that. I can feel just grabbing on to things it feels stronger. Thanks, Chris.

I was chasing a 2 x 45 pinch for awhile and will be again when I heal. Mr. Rice's advice is excellent.

I would also like to add to place your thumb first and then set your fingers and attempt to wrist curl the plates as you pick them up. If you search through the GripMonster's Challenges Thread you can watch all the videos of the plate pinches. Just about everybody included their chalking/surface prep and their set up ritual in their videos. There are lots of good ideas from some really strong pinches if watch closely. All the best. I can't wait to see the video of you hauling those plates up with ease!

• Like 1

I was chasing a 2 x 45 pinch for awhile and will be again when I heal. Mr. Rice's advice is excellent.

I would also like to add to place your thumb first and then set your fingers and attempt to wrist curl the plates as you pick them up. If you search through the GripMonster's Challenges Thread you can watch all the videos of the plate pinches. Just about everybody included their chalking/surface prep and their set up ritual in their videos. There are lots of good ideas from some really strong pinches if watch closely. All the best. I can't wait to see the video of you hauling those plates up with ease!

Thanks man! I will lift those suckers or die trying!

The part about placing your thumb first in Josh's note is very important too. When I read it, I knew I forgot to add that in my post. I always place my thumb first and then stretch the hell out of the rest of my hand to get the most coverage. Jedd talks about this a lot when showing 2hp videos. Same applies to 1hp.