N A G S Championship Events

Jedd Johnson

Done!

Payment sent today! Look forward to seeing everyone!

- Jedd, bring that #200 KB if possible brother!? :O

• Like 1

JVance, I have yours in hand, just haven't had time to open it.

Paid Entries:

Charles-Antoine Chartrand-Lefebvre - 66kg - Quebec, Canada
Michael Hann - 74kg, Texas
Eric Milfeld - 83kg, Texas
Brandon Gerber - 93kg, Ohio
Eric Milfeld - 93kg, Texas
Luke Raymond - 93kg, Pennsylvania
Eric Roussin - 93kg, Ontario, Canada
Jonathan Vance - 93kg, Ohio
Andrew Durniat - 105kg, Ohio
Jedd Johnson - 105kg, Pennsylvania
John Wojciechowski - 105kg+, New Jersey

Keep them coming

Sponsors continue to roll in as well:

Diesel Crew

Gillingham High Performance

MAS Wrestling Ohio

Cannon Powerworks

PM me if you wish to be added as a sponsor.

We Continue to grow

Paid Entries:

Charles-Antoine Chartrand-Lefebvre - 66kg - Quebec, Canada
Michael Hann - 74kg, Texas
Eric Milfeld - 83kg, Texas
Brent Barbe - 93kg, Pennsylvania
Brandon Gerber - 93kg, Ohio
Eric Milfeld - 93kg, Texas
Luke Raymond - 93kg, Pennsylvania
Eric Roussin - 93kg, Ontario, Canada
Jonathan Vance - 93kg, Ohio
Andrew Durniat - 105kg, Ohio
Jedd Johnson - 105kg, Pennsylvania
Robert Miller - 105kg+, North Carolina
Nick Rosendaul - 105kg+, Ohio
John Wojciechowski - 105kg+, New Jersey

SPONSORS:

Diesel Crew
MAS Wrestling Ohio
Cannon Powerworks
Chris Rice

Still a few big names I was anticipating seeing on there that have not shown up just yet.

Early bird deadline was yesterday though, so maybe there will be a whole pile of them coming in the next couple days...

The 93 kg class is looking like it will be very competitive!

Paid Entries:
66kg
Charles-Antoine Chartrand-Lefebvre - Quebec, Canada
74kg
Michael Hann - Texas
Darrin Shallman - Michigan
83kg
Eric Milfeld - Texas
93kg
Brent Barbe - Pennsylvania
Eric Milfeld - Texas
Luke Raymond - Pennsylvania
Eric Roussin - Ontario, Canada
Jonathan Vance - Ohio
105kg
Andrew Durniat - Ohio
Brandon Gerber - Ohio
Jedd Johnson - Pennsylvania
Tom Scibelli - Maryland
105kg+
Malcolm Majesky - Ohio
Robert Miller - North Carolina
Nick Rosendaul - Ohio
John Wojciechowski - New Jersey
Woman's
Danielle Curry - South Carolina

Sponsors:
Diesel Crew
MAS Wrestling Ohio
Cannon Powerworks
Chris Rice
Farmstrength

Edited by ADurniat

I am disappointed that J.T. Straussner is not on the list. Women have been telling me they love my sense of humor, but it's only because I went to nationals last year and stole all of J.T.'s lines. I'm almost out of material, so I'm going to be in trouble if J.T. doesn't show up.

• Like 1

JT has some other commitments right now and will be busy the weekend of Nationals, unfortunately. I was looking forward to the trip with him, Luke and Dan. Dan had something come up too, so just Luke and I will be making the trip. Hopefully, things open up for JT again soon.

I probably havent earned the right to post on this thread since I havent competed in years, but wouldnt it make things way more interesting if the events were unknown until the day of the event? And competitors had to train all aspects of hand and arm strength to do well?

I probably havent earned the right to post on this thread since I havent competed in years, but wouldnt it make things way more interesting if the events were unknown until the day of the event? And competitors had to train all aspects of hand and arm strength to do well?

The only problem I have with that is the huge advantage the people running the event will have since they also always compete. They will already have the advantage by picking the events but then they will be focusing on those events for months while no one else even knows the events.

Seems fair Rick, or just announce the events a bit more in advance. This is of course being respectful to those who do the hard work to put on comps. I don't think anyone sits on events and trains them in secret before announcing.

In a new event like the pinch curl, nobody will have an accurate estimate of their opening weight if the event is unknown until comp time. Things like this take some trial and error, and your max strength shouldn't be wasted on such things when a record is to be set.

Of course, the promoter and everyone with any inside knowledge will have a great advantage.

Another problem:

Lifter A and B have the same strength in plate curling, and both athletes know this.

When the new pinch curl lift is revealed as an event, lifter A wastes his last attempt with a jump too small, or an unsuccessful large jump. B sees this, and uses A's experimentation to his advantage, making the appropriate attempt to beat him using that knowledge.

If the order was switched and A followed B, this scenario would be the opposite.

But if the event was announced prior, both lifters will have knowledge of their own abilities.

Lifter A and B have the same strength in plate curling, and both athletes know this. When the new pinch curl lift is revealed as an event, lifter A wastes his last attempt with a jump too small, or an unsuccessful large jump. B sees this, and uses A's experimentation to his advantage, making the appropriate attempt to beat him using that knowledge.

This is a normal part of strategy in Oly lifting.

Lifter A and B have the same strength in plate curling, and both athletes know this. When the new pinch curl lift is revealed as an event, lifter A wastes his last attempt with a jump too small, or an unsuccessful large jump. B sees this, and uses A's experimentation to his advantage, making the appropriate attempt to beat him using that knowledge.

I didn't know that the snatch and c&j were secret events.

Huh? The plate curl event is secret? What?

I'm talking about the strategy of how many #'s you put on the bar. If you follow Weightlifting, you will know that there is coach usually just standing around watching where everyone takes their attempts doing the math to see where his lifter will need be for victory. Sometimes they will bump up an attempt a single kg just to give their lifter a little more rest time.

I can't tell if you know that and are being snarky or if I just misunderstood your original post.

I dont see how this is an issue and this strategy is used in all strength athletics. Say we are tied in the squat and bench press. I wait to see what you open with and if you miss I quickly change my attempt to a lift I can smoke and get on the board knowing you might fail all attempts after missing.

Instead of keeping them hush hush you could list 20 events then pull 5 from a hat. That way you have to focus on total hand strength and cant be a 1 trick pony. If you end up with 3 pinch events oh well. That is half the fun.

I dont see how this is an issue and this strategy is used in all strength athletics. Say we are tied in the squat and bench press. I wait to see what you open with and if you miss I quickly change my attempt to a lift I can smoke and get on the board knowing you might fail all attempts after missing.

Instead of keeping them hush hush you could list 20 events then pull 5 from a hat. That way you have to focus on total hand strength and cant be a 1 trick pony. If you end up with 3 pinch events oh well. That is half the fun.

What I questioned here was not the general strategy, but the compounding effect it has with keeping the events secret.

I see your second suggestion (keeping a list of possible events) more sensible, as it will not give anybody a definitive advantage.

But regardless, nationals must contest all three core lifts so people can post competitive totals.

Paid Entries:

66kg

Charles-Antoine Chartrand-Lefebvre - Quebec, Canada

Yori Skutt - Texas

74kg

Michael Hann - Texas

Darrin Shallman - Michigan

83kg

Eric Milfeld - Texas

93kg

Brent Barbe - Pennsylvania

Eric Milfeld - Texas

Luke Raymond - Pennsylvania

Eric Roussin - Ontario, Canada

Jonathan Vance - Ohio

105kg

Andrew Durniat - Ohio

Brandon Gerber - Ohio

Jedd Johnson - Pennsylvania

Tom Scibelli - Maryland

105kg+

Malcolm Majesky - Ohio

Robert Miller - North Carolina

Nick Rosendaul - Ohio

John Wojciechowski - New Jersey

Woman's

Danielle Curry - South Carolina

Sharon Moss - Ohio

I think what Yori is suggesting is that, in a competition where the lifts are unknown, competitor A is at something of an unfair disadvantage because there is no way for him to know what weight he should attempt or what jumps he should take. He may fail lifts or fail to reach his max through no fault of his own. In some cases, he may suffer an extreme disadvantage. For example, lets say in the pinch curl event using a rising bar system he misses his opening weight of 30lb (despite being able to strictly plate curl a 35lb) because it is above his max. Lifter A attempted to be conservative in his opening lift but will now probably bomb out of the comp, and competitor B with the same strength strolls to the win. It may also be that A makes the lift but it was way too light for an opener, and now he is down an attempt.

In a competition in which the lifts are known, fault for missing lifts or failing to reach a max can be placed on the competitor's preparation, strategy, self-awareness, etc. This is different from the above situation.

I have no problem with the current system, but if a surprise factor is desired, consider the following suggestion:

1) keep axle, grippers, pinch for purposes of allowing athletes to "total"

2) Promoters would have a huge advantage in selecting secret events, so perhaps each athlete could suggest an event (or several events) either at the door, a week out, with his entry fee, etc. These suggestions ("votes") could be totaled up and the events selected on that basis. For example, the three events with the most suggestions could be selected. Another spin could be allowing promoters to provide a list of several events from which suggestions could be made. That way, the promoter can be prepared to contest the events that are suggested. Some tie breaking procedure may be needed (maybe promoter's choice?).

Example:

Promoter posts a list of 20 events and will contest the three with the most suggestions in addition to the 3 core lifts. All suggestions submitted 1 week out via email (if true surprise is desired) or posted in a thread, etc. Suggestions are totaled and the three events with the most suggestions are: IM Hub, sledge lever to face, and farmers hold for time. The events at the competition would be the 3 core lifts (grippers, pinch, axle) and IM hub, sledge, and farmers. Since the suggestions were made and totaled a week out, the promoter has time to prepare to contest the events (set up, set the order, etc.), but has minimal advantage because they won't be training ahead of time for the events since they won't know how the votes will turn out.

These are great ideas, Michael. By the way, congratulations on your amazing performance in Vegas!

This is a topic we promoters have kicked around for years. For a while there was a push for all contests to be nothing but "standardized" events. Then a time when it was kind of the stranger the better. It seems to have swung back to the center for now with 3 more or less standardized events and a couple I guess we could call NON standardized like this years curl event and just about any time a medley is in a contest. One of the issues with all of grip is the availability of all the different equipment items. Every item is not going to be in every gym for people to use - weather of not that item is "known" in advance or not. The curl apparatus is available from Jedd or it's easy enough to make something up close enough for training. Are those who have the actual apparatus going to have an advantage - Yep, they probably will. Will they beat someone who is just plain old stronger than them - possible but not very likely. If we never try new things - how are we ever going to know if they might become the next "standard" event or not? As far as advance notice - that's probably a good thing overall but I believe that long term it isn't going to matter - the stronger guys are always going to win - I've seen it too many times. My suggestion is to actually go to a contest before worrying about things - being a promoter isn't easy - EVERYONE seems to know more than you do and is more than willing to tell you how to run your contest. I think that before you even comment on a given contest - you should have paid your entry and have a dog in the fight so to speak. Only then should to worry about things.