Tennis Elbow (lateral Epicondylitis)

patrickmeniru

I've made a return to training in the past few months, but have been suffering from pain on the outside of my elbow/upper forearm. It manifests itself quite strongly when doing curling type activities, particularly with my palms pronated (facing down). Any kind of pinching or activities requiring finger strength also trigger pain.

I have been avoiding actions that cause a lot of pain, but have been carrying on with other training however the pain has been getting worse of late and I was wondering whether anyone had any advice on how best to treat it. I know that rest is probably a good course of action - but I was looking more specifically for any advice on ice/heat/anti-inflammatories and rehabilitation exercises.

After so long out with shoulder pain I'm really keen to get this sorted ASAP so that I can finally resume training pain free!!

Any and all advice welcome as ever.

Pat

A lot of extensor training helps. And I would invest in one of them bands you put around your forearm. Wear it tight when gripping and loosen it between sets... It really helps.

For several months my wife had been suffering from very painful tennis elbow as a result of hoola hooping, prior to me winning an Arm Aid at last year's Nationals. Rather quickly, it apparently cured her and the problem has not returned. She will every once in a while feel a minor flare up, but these episodes coincide with her failing to use the device for preventative care. Frankly, my first impression of the product was one of skepticism, as I thought it looked a bit gimmicky, but it definitely made a believer out of my wife. It works, in part, on the principles of active release therapy.

Heres how i got rid of mine...

1. Armaid. This product is legit. Sorinex.com

2. I took two weeks off all upper body exercise

3. Lots of stretching the forearm muscles out, hold your arm out and stretch your hand back, hold for thirty seconds. Then stretch the hand forward, hold

4. Light, high rep wrist training in all directions, every other day. Like a 15 lb dumbbell for wrist curls, reverse wrist curls, then a 5lb plate on one end of a dumbbell for front and rear levers. Don't go heavy, just lots of reps. After the pain is gone, start mixing low reps with high reps.

5. Extensor training every other day, high reps

Hope that helps and good luck brother

3. Lots of stretching the forearm muscles out, hold your arm out and stretch your hand back, hold for thirty seconds. Then stretch the hand forward, hold

4. Light, high rep wrist training in all directions, every other day. Like a 15 lb dumbbell for wrist curls, reverse wrist curls, then a 5lb plate on one end of a dumbbell for front and rear levers. Don't go heavy, just lots of reps. After the pain is gone, start mixing low reps with high reps.

I'm gonna try this, cause since I started using grippers again basically from day one I've been having a lot of tendon pain. I read somewhere MSM can help. Anyone have any experince supplementing with it. I'm taking it now, but its too early to tell if its helping me.

I'm gonna try this, cause since I started using grippers again basically from day one I've been having a lot of tendon pain. I read somewhere MSM can help. Anyone have any experince supplementing with it. I'm taking it now, but its too early to tell if its helping me.

A few months ago my left hand was finished from grippers, and everyone just says train extensors, but I had always done that from day one. Lots of stretching and light wrist curls were what I needed. Also, I can't barbell curl anymore, it will always aggravate my elbows. Have to stick to dumbbells now.

Juha harju had this problem and what worked for me when I had it also worked for him.

Taking a couple of weeks off from training everything that hurts.

Extensorwork.

Light supination/pronation wrist "levers".

I used a broom stick or a smaller sledgehammer to twist my wrist back and forth.

10-20 reps for 3-4 sets every other day with that along with extensorwork and massage of the irritated area took the pain away fast.

When I feel it starting to flare up again I just grab that sledge and rotate a bit and it goes away again.

Hope it helps man.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! Will definitely take a break from anything that's causing discomfort/pain and as soon as possible start work on some extensor work and light levering (I used to do this a lot but have not done any work with my hammer in months). Will also look into the Arm Aid, seems to have gotten a lot of positive reviews!

Pat

• Like 1

Stretching and contrast baths too brother, wam up thoroughly and rest. I had tendinitis for a while myself and those all helped.

I do the following when injured, am not a doctor so YMMV and do at your own risk-it's a combination of research and what worked best for me.

Once the injury settles down do very light negatives (negatives only! no full reps!) with the movement pattern/exercise that causes the most direct pain. Use a weight that brings awareness of the injury rather than attention-getting pain, even if, for example, you are just moving your arm in the reverse curl motion. If just using the weight of your arm makes you wince, you're probably not ready for much active rehab. Do several sets of 15 or more reps daily and increase the weight very slowly when you notice any improvement: perhaps you start w/ no weight, then a soup can and then a 2.5 lb. plate even if you're normally using more than 50x that much weight. If you manage to irritate the area further, you'll need to go back to using RICE principles until the active inflammation settles down and the injury is getting no better/no worse again before commencing light negative work again.

Thanks for the advice guys! Contrast baths have worked well for my hands in the past so might experiment with my elbow, and I've got a WR which I'll start using again when the pain subsides. The eccentric scheme also sounds very plausible. When I tore my achilles tendon I saw a very good physio who gave me a rehab plan that focussed on gradual loading of eccentric movements before moving on to concentric patterns.

Think for the next couple of days I need to try and rest the arm completely, which shouldn't be too much of an issue because I have a coursework deadline looming. Although it's always hard to stop training for more than a day or two!