Plate Curl Drop Sets

David_wigren

One of my goals for 2014 is to do a strict curl with a 20 kg plate. I can already do an unstrict curl where I swing the 20 kg plate quite a bit, but as everyone who has any experience with plate curls, there is a world of difference in performing strict plate curls versus non strict curls. I still need a ton of work to reach my goal! One of my problems as of yet in my training has been picking a weight suitable to work with. If I pick a weight that is to heavy I can usually only do a few reps before my form breaks down. And if I pick a weight that is to easy I can bang out almost an endless set of reps. Sure, it'll make my wrists and forearms tired, but won't really ad any real strength. There seems to be no perfect weight for adding volume while still working with a heavy load. As a means to solve this I've been doing drop sets. Using the same plate, but switching to less and less strict form as a means of making the lift easier, allowing for more reps.

I have not been doing these for very long, so I don't know if they will actually work for me. But my initial reaction is that it feels great for my wrists. I'm able to stress them with a heavy load while at the same time getting volume work. So I'm hoping it will garner me some strength gains with time. Just thought I would share my thoughts on this obscure exercise.

• Like 8

Nice! Another thing you can do is microload with a magweight. This can slowly get you to the next plate up.

Additionally...if you curl with the flat side to you, you can start with the magweight on the end...then slowly move it towards you as you get weaker.

As the weight gets closer to you hand, it's kind of like choking up on a sledge.

post-20504-0-41081500-1395449392_thumb.j

• Like 1

What you're doing with the 15 is mighty impressive in its own right! A 20 is a reasonable goal.

I'm working on this too David. I think plate curling is a gold mine exercise that many overlook. Right now I'm about where you are with my 35 pounder - lately I've been doing them in between one hand snatch sets. Holds are great as well, I would usually use a 25 and hold straight out, then set 2 2.5lb plates on the end. I would hold it strict and straight until near failure, take one plate off, then the other and hold til failure.

Edited by jvance

I never really knew how to do this, form wise. I always pinched the plate and held it in the fingers... Like you would hold a pinch grip. It was super hard on the fingers. If you grab it with the palm against the plate, it's more of an wrist strengthener. Is the latter the way most do it?

I realize that with an oly plate, you can't do it the former way.

Edited by slazbob

What you're doing with the 15 is mighty impressive in its own right! A 20 is a reasonable goal.

^^^^^ this.

^^^^^ this.

Thank you for the support guys! The strict 20kg plate curl will happen. It's just a matter of when it will happen. My goal is to get it done this year, but if it takes longer, so be it.

Nathaniel, I've done the poor man's version of that and taped on some small weights on the plate. Never really stuck with it though. I guess I'm just to lazy to fiddle with taping the weights on. If I had some magweights though, that would probably work alot smoother.

you could also use a piece of PVC to secure a small plate to the center and clamp off both ends of it

I never really knew how to do this, form wise. I always pinched the plate and held it in the fingers... Like you would hold a pinch grip. It was super hard on the fingers. If you grab it with the palm against the plate, it's more of an wrist strengthener. Is the latter the way most do it?

I realize that with an oly plate, you can't do it the former way.

I always pinch as well, it's really hard on my fingers because my fingers crimp at the joint... I've dropped the exercise bc it seems too dangerous, at least in the manner that I'm performing, for general hand health.

Edited by hellswindstaff

Jag har en sån här. Med den kan du öka i små steg genom att öka vikten eller genom att sätta vikten längre ut på pinnen.

Jag vet inte om han säljer dem fortfarande.

Om han inte tillverkar dom längre kan du få låna min tills du nått ditt mål om du vill :)

• Like 1

One of my goals for 2014 is to do a strict curl with a 20 kg plate. I can already do an unstrict curl where I swing the 20 kg plate quite a bit, but as everyone who has any experience with plate curls, there is a world of difference in performing strict plate curls versus non strict curls. I still need a ton of work to reach my goal! One of my problems as of yet in my training has been picking a weight suitable to work with. If I pick a weight that is to heavy I can usually only do a few reps before my form breaks down. And if I pick a weight that is to easy I can bang out almost an endless set of reps. Sure, it'll make my wrists and forearms tired, but won't really ad any real strength. There seems to be no perfect weight for adding volume while still working with a heavy load. As a means to solve this I've been doing drop sets. Using the same plate, but switching to less and less strict form as a means of making the lift easier, allowing for more reps.

I have not been doing these for very long, so I don't know if they will actually work for me. But my initial reaction is that it feels great for my wrists. I'm able to stress them with a heavy load while at the same time getting volume work. So I'm hoping it will garner me some strength gains with time. Just thought I would share my thoughts on this obscure exercise.

David, you mean a 20 kg plate with 450 mm diameter...? :)

David, you mean a 20 kg plate with 450 mm diameter...? :)

I should've mentioned that the 20kg plate that I cheat-curled was 390mm in diameter. My goal is to do a strict curl with that one and then move on to a full sized 450 mm plate.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my current standing on the plate curl; 35 with ironmind little big horn in center for addtl. 7lbs:

left hand was obviously a bit of a cheat curl, i am happy with the right hand, solid and smooth

Edited by jvance
  • Like 2

I've been using the strongergrip red rafter to redevlop strength in my sprained wrist and it is an awesome tool. All I have on it is a 10lb plate that I move forward or back to create more or less leverage.

Mitti... Be careful I noticed your wrist was bent back - very vulnerable position.

Can do 20+ good reps w/ a 25 lb. plate, but a 35 lb. or greater plate is still very difficult for me. Just wanted to start getting used to the feel and leverage of a bigger plate.

I was able to do a 45lb plate with some swinging the first time I tried but haven't tried a strict version. I thought it would be a cool feat to do it off a decline bench. I always felt it more in my thumb and fingers then wrist the very few times I tried it. Very strong job though man no doubt you will get it strict in no time based on that video.

That was my ugly technique on them 15 sec in last year around the second or third time doing it obviously swinging more then you though. I am just starting to workout again period so I don't even know if I could get a strict version but would you do it against a wall to limit back movement? Does anyone know also if someone has done a 55lb plate strict curl? That would be pretty crazy also.
  • Like 1

Stephen, your overall strength, bicep strength in particular, must be off-the-charts to do that well your first time, that's mind-boggling! :whacked

David Wigren, you'll definitely get the 45 strictly as you have great wrist strength and perseverance.

Jon, you fly under the radar a bit but are building a great base of strength, well done on your progress!

Stephen, I know Glass has strict curled a standard 50. That is the highest number I've seen for plate curling as far as I know.

Bob, thanks. The 45/50 has been a long time goal for me. I was super excited when I first got the 35, I knew the 45 was in my cards eventually. I just need to figure out why my sledge choke is so comparatively weak.

I was able to do a 45lb plate with some swinging the first time I tried but haven't tried a strict version. I thought it would be a cool feat to do it off a decline bench. I always felt it more in my thumb and fingers then wrist the very few times I tried it. Very strong job though man no doubt you will get it strict in no time based on that video.

That was my ugly technique on them 15 sec in last year around the second or third time doing it obviously swinging more then you though. I am just starting to workout again period so I don't even know if I could get a strict version but would you do it against a wall to limit back movement? Does anyone know also if someone has done a 55lb plate strict curl? That would be pretty crazy also.

I rate ahead of Adam Glass's attempts. ( Last time I watched him).