45lbs. Plate Wrist-curl

stratavarious_connection

I just would like to know if there is anyone that can do this much weight in the plate wrist-curl. I myself cannot do it, but I can manage one rep with a 35lbs. plate :blush . Perhaps this question is aimed only at David Horne. :whistel

Hi there stratavarious,

judging by the lack of replies I would say nobody can do it except

perhaps Horne. I can do 25 lbs for 10 reps with my right arm but only 5

on my left. The strain in my wrist and fingers is enormous when I do these and is considerably more than doing a 70 lb dumbbell wrist curl with one arm which I can for 10 reps. I wouldn't try a 35 plate just yet. Because of the much added width of a 45 over a 25 the torque is (45cm/2/2.45 cm/ inch 2/12 inches/ftx45 lbs=40.76 ft lbs assuming edge of plate is 2 inches from wrist joint.

Of course the greater difficulty is that the fingers are extended straight

out doing plate wrist curls while they are curled up (a much stronger position to be in) when doing regular dumbbell wrist curls.

A 25 lb'er is what about 14 cm radius/2.54 cm/inch 2/12 inches

x25 lbs = 15.65 lb ft of torque at the wrist joint. This means that

for me to be able to do a 45 lb plate curl for 1 rep I would need to

be able to wrist curl a 180 lb dumbbell with one hand with equivalent

finger strength to match. Either movement I'd call a major feat of

forearm strength with the plate curl demonstrating incredible finger

strength as well. :blink

Come to think of it, it seems to me that plate wrist curls would increase

strength for pinching as holding up the plate with fingers straight

out is much like plate pinching. :)

thanks for your replies...thought I wasn't going to get one :D ...in my case, plate wrist-curling a 35lbs. plate is practically murder on my wrists....however, I like I said previously..I'm still only able to do one rep. I don't believe I will get to a 45lbs. plate.....once again, thanks for your replies,they're much appreciated :rock

Did some searching, I thought I had read where Roger did some huge plate wrist curls: Roger's Workout Log

35 for 2 10's is damn impressive!

I'd say John Brookfield and I'm sure there may be some armwrestlers out there that could do it.

no question about it, Heath....35lbs. plates for 2x10 is a great feat of strength . once again, thanks for your replies :cool:rock

err myself, Michael Daly and David Horne all did a 20 kilo plate or more in the 2001 Iron Grip competition. Thats without forgetting Nick McKinless (see gallery).

Mob, plate wrist-curl or just plate curl ?

Anyway, i have 20kgs plates at home: a strict plate curl with one of those beasts is just incredible !

Err Steve, the subject is plate wrist curls , not plate curls. There is a difference. In any case were the plate curls of 20kg. done using one 20 kg plate, or were they done using smaller plates on a bar = to 20kg.?

Ahh yes Sorry :(

To answer Oldguys question: With a 20 kilo plate in the competion. Then adding a rod for over 20 kilos (other classes used 15kg's and added weight via a rod, as I did for my training).

But we were NOT plate Wrist curling