Help With Creating My Dream Gym.

anwnate

Ok...maybe not full bore dream...here's the situation...

I've been making due by training in a basement where I occasionally smack my head on pipes and beams.

I'm soon (next couple of months) moving into a new (to me) house.

I have a two car garage but will be converting one entire wall for a workshop/storage and walkway.

So basically I have a full 2 car garage with nice high ceilings minus a 5' strip that runs the length of it on one side.

I currently plan on having several areas...an axle/deadlift platform, a gripper area (with film setup & dedicated lighting), a nail bending area, a large area for pinch, a hanging monkey bar with various widths 1'-3" (chins, pulls, hanging lifts etc), a hanging rope, a climbing board, a general workout area with a bench....and of course as much rubber matting as I can feasibly get.

So these are some of the general things I'd like to incorporate.

Given the current space l have to work with, what else would you add, incorporate, create?

Any ideas are welcome. When you designed your space...what worked? What didn't?

I'm very interested in what others feel is important since I aim to introduce others to grip...and hopefully host a few contests down the road.

Thanks in advance for any input!

• Like 3

Well..................... Or you could just visit and see what I have done - and see what my dream gym looks like :) It would take me a while to type up any kind of plan or equipment list - like days probably.

• Like 3

Well..................... Or you could just visit and see what I have done - and see what my dream gym looks like :) It would take me a while to type up any kind of plan or equipment list - like days probably.

Hmmm...I should be there Dec. 6th...but I'd prefer to get started before then. Any chance you can send me some pics? I'll PM you.

danng.. the boss lady on board with this?? lol

Yup...her idea. :)

The ironmind Vulcan rack is amazing...pricey, but amazing.

• Like 1

Definitely a power rack.

• Like 1

Make a list of EVERYTHING you might ever want in your gym. Then put each item in the order of importance it has in reaching your goals. Besides Grip what is the next goal - or is Grip actually first in importance? Start with a high quality bar for example - then add the next item - and the next etc. Always keep the goal in mind. It's easy to start chasing that shiny new toy when you really should get something else first. I would highly consider learning to make your own equipment - it's how I compressed the time needed to have everything I wanted from decades to years - saved a boatload of money - and really enjoyed the process. My gym could not exist had I not done this.

• Like 2

IMO, space is the most valuable "equipment" in a garage gym. I have a power rack now but will probably get a half-rack with weight storage next time.

A lot of the time, I wish I had more space to "try" stuff.

Bumper plates are another great idea to be able to safely fail.

In the end it really depends on what you want but make sure you share photos.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for chiming in here...and also those who have sent pics via email or facebook.

A special thanks to Chris for helping me see I might want to heat or cool the space.

Since I'm having an electrican come in and add extra outlets and lighting...I might as well plan for heating and cooling now.

Please feel free to keep the ideas coming...the time for planning is now.

Thanks guys.

Let me know or give us a call we can make you a dream Jim to match your needs perfectly. We can render auto cad drawings to scale 3 d for full rooms. Also we have slightly used equipment that has been a prototype tested or used at a show available. We have many new answers to small space with safe solid equipment with big strength returns. Son Bert has a garage gym to add to his flexibility and training time shared with my grand son. Bert can advise you. Just give us a call. I would be glad to talk with you as well. Bet luck on your project

• Like 1

Congrats on the new house brother !! how ever you hook it up I cant wait to check it out. have fun

• Like 1

Just to parrot what a lot of guys have said already....if you are going to perform most of the traditional barbell lifts, then I definitely recommend a power rack, deadlift platform, flat or adjustable dumbbell bench and a high quality barbell like a Texas Power Bar or a cheaper version like the Jessup Bar (what I have).

If you have the space, then keep the rack separate from the platform so you have two separate work stations and can transition to and from different exercises a bit quicker. If your space will be limited (like me), then just bolt the rack down to the platform. Either way though, the rack must be bolted down to the floor.

Obviously it all depends on what your particular goals are. I have what I feel is the ultimate home gym...for ME...so I made a point to buy things like a genuine Westside Barbell reverse hyper and a commercial quality chest supported row.

I would also absolutely plan for some type of heating in the garage. I don't like AC when I'm training...just a fan...but you gotta have heat! This winter was brutal for me with no heat in my gym...two layers of clothing and leather gloves for every workout gets old fast.

• Like 1

Besides Grip what is the next goal - or is Grip actually first in importance?

I would say it is. Not sure if you know, I've had a heart condition since I was 23yo. I've only recently (2011) become healthy enough to train...but I still don't really have complete freedom with what I do. I'll never be able to tax myself enough to lift for power. But...I've gotten much stronger these last 3 years and before I'm through...I aim to do some damage in GripSport.

...IMO, space is the most valuable "equipment" in a garage gym.

...A lot of the time, I wish I had more space to "try" stuff.

...In the end it really depends on what you want but make sure you share photos.

Will do...I aim to eventually have a pinch medley that will be brutal for all levels.

Congrats on the new house brother !! how ever you hook it up I cant wait to check it out. have fun

Thanks man. You'll get an invite before the year's up.

I would also absolutely plan for some type of heating in the garage. I don't like AC when I'm training...just a fan...but you gotta have heat! This winter was brutal for me with no heat in my gym...two layers of clothing and leather gloves for every workout gets old fast.

Thanks Woj, I already got the okay's on it. I'll have a pair of ceiling fans along with heat and AC (for particularly bad days). I seriously have no idea how you manage in there...it's pretty freakin cold.

Instead of the man cave its the (Hand Cave) :)

Instead of the man cave its the (Hand Cave) :)

Haha...NICE!