What Should I Add To My Minimal Routine?

Jones1874

At the minute I'm only training with grippers and doing plate curls with a homemade ironmind stacker. I train the grippers once a week or once every five days, but I'll use the stacker twice a week. I have made a thread about block weights, but their out until I can get my hands on some cheap ones.

I'm also doing hand extensor work and plan to do reverse curls soon. I've also bought some thumb screws which came back today. My plan is to use them after using grippers and the stacker just too get a good pump in the thumb pad to finish it off. Hopefully my thumb pads will grow using them so my hands gets a bit thicker in order to close bigger grippers.

Any suggestions on what I can add? I've heard people say not to concentrate on too many things at once but I'm sure I could add in something else.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Why not do the beginner program by David Horne 3-4 times a week so your hands can get used to the higher volume?

Why not do the beginner program by David Horne 3-4 times a week so your hands can get used to the higher volume?

One or two reasons why I wouldn't follow it is, because I'd rather use the grippers rather than do finger curls. And I'd like to keep the block curls in the routine.

About reverse curl.

I made a thread about that exercise that got interesting replys, by Richard Sorin and others. I cant link on my mobile. Use the search function for "Good weight in Barbell Reverse Curl ?" Or google it with the word gripboard first, if you are interested.

Edited by Six Barrel Shotgun

Squats, Bench Press, Dead lifts, clean and press - add weight - then add more weight - when these all reach respectable levels try grippers again - until then you are wasting your time. The full body stuff will do more for your grippers than all the little bits of stuff you are doing now.

• Like 4

Alex-

The block weights are a nice tool, and are great hand work. But I only touch mine which is a 42.lb York, a handful of times a year... And can pick it up with two fingers and swing my are back and forth for 20seconds. And I say this to have you not feel bad about not having one, and can get that strength from grippers and working your thumbs with the TTK or maybe the thumb screws.

And since you have them thumb screws, do them palm squeeze's... They are nice. I would pad the palm when doing them- for comfort... A wristband does the trick, for me... Just put it where the thumb screw lays in your hand.

That exercise will give you great grasping power; you see if you grasp something fast, your fingers mimic that exercise.

About reverse curl.I made a thread about that exercise that got interesting replys, by Richard Sorin and others. I cant link on my mobile. Use the search function for "Good weight in Barbell Reverse Curl ?" Or google it with the word gripboard first, if you are interested.

Just read through that thread quickly. There was some debate on wether or not to put the thumb on top or underneath the bar. Personally i put the thumb underneath. Thumbless seems like it would work the flexors more.. I suppose your only gonna know the difference if you give it a try. As long as your growing or getting stronger it's all good.

Alex-The block weights are a nice tool, and are great hand work. But I only touch mine which is a 42.lb York, a handful of times a year... And can pick it up with two fingers and swing my are back and forth for 20seconds. And I say this to have you not feel bad about not having one, and can get that strength from grippers and working your thumbs with the TTK or maybe the thumb screws.And since you have them thumb screws, do them palm squeeze's... They are nice. I would pad the palm when doing them- for comfort... A wristband does the trick, for me... Just put it where the thumb screw lays in your hand.That exercise will give you great grasping power; you see if you grasp something fast, your fingers mimic that exercise.

How come your only using your block weight a couple of times a year? People preach about them and even Brookfield has said that their probably the single best exercise for hand strength if you had to pick one.

I could invest in a block weight but I'm just thinking about the price. Hand strength can be obtained by many different tools. I seen the video that David Horne put up on YouTube about Palm squeezes, they look good so I'll be giving those a go aswell. I think the most important thing is to select a few exercises and stick with them

How about this:

What do you want to do? What do you enjoy? Do that, hard.

How about this:

i just want to train an area of grip thats going to give me the most bang for my buck. like everyone else on here, i just want a stronger grip all round. theres so many different exercises to choose from it makes it more difficult to stick with a handful of exercises. my problem is im too eager, and i want to do it all..

Well, I do a lot of different stuff , and I've never had a problem with it. It's all strengthening my grip, so it all works together at a basic level. Out of 5 lifting days I'll do like 7 different grip lifts. Each one gets the same amount of focus I'd give to a full body lift. If you want variety, then have some variety. I think it's more fun that way, and keeps me from getting burned out on a particular lift. But it's important that they all get the appropriate amount of attention. You can't screw around and only do like one set for each and expect to make progress.

What is your basic total body strength routine? Your grip will increase if the rest of your body is in balance. Favorite things that have worked wonders for 50 years on all I have trained. Reverse curls, thick bar deadlifts, one arm rows, Triplex pulls ,medium grip paused benches, Olympic style back squats....... All key!

• Like 1

What is your basic total body strength routine? Your grip will increase if the rest of your body is in balance. Favorite things that have worked wonders for 50 years on all I have trained. Reverse curls, thick bar deadlifts, one arm rows, Triplex pulls ,medium grip paused benches, Olympic style back squats....... All key!

Richard, what is a triplex pull?

• Like 1

How about this:

i just want to train an area of grip thats going to give me the most bang for my buck. like everyone else on here, i just want a stronger grip all round. theres so many different exercises to choose from it makes it more difficult to stick with a handful of exercises. my problem is im too eager, and i want to do it all..

Sounds like you've got yourself a case of "paralysis by analysis"

Stop worrying about what's best and start doing something with intensity and consistency.... gains will come.

• Like 1

How about this:

Most bang for your for your buck, from a single exercise, then you're probably looking at thickbar deadlifts!

• Like 1

What are your Squat - Bench press and dead lift numbers? If these (or other full body exercises) aren't at respectable levels and improving each year - you are kidding yourself spending any amount of time thinking about if steel block weights are better than wooden ones. You've been on the GB for 4 years now - how much stronger are you now than you were then? It is NOT about the equipment - it's about using what you have and working hard. Find yourself a hard labor job - you'll solve both your problems - you'll build a very strong grip - and you'll also have enough money when you are done to buy the equipment you keep talking about that is so expensive.

• Like 1

Thick bar and DO deadlifts with a barbell are great. You will likely notice a drop in gripper strength while training thick bar, but it's temporary and you will be stronger after. Full body training is definitely important if you aren't already doing that. Even if grippers are your main goal, taking it easy on them can be a good thing too.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=40858&page=2

This board has a long history with alexjones234. Please read the GB post that I linked to above before responding to any of his posts - then make your own decision of if you want to answer him.

• Like 3

Alex, like its been said many times here, ditch the grip overtraining and I guarantee you will see better results and less elbow and forearm pain. When I started I was over zealous and all I got was tendinitis, not gains. Do the hard work and mix the grip in, think about your overall health and strength, not just the next gripper you gotta close. The gains will come, but you can't burn yourself out.

A smart man learns from his own mistakes, a wise man learns from the mistakes of others.... I personally have been doing a lot of Olympic lifting with thick bar... Some workouts focused speed, or power, or endurance... This allows me to get stronger and still hit up grip.

Edited by jvance
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
I could invest in a block weight but I'm just thinking about the price. Hand strength can be obtained by many different tools. I seen the video that David Horne put up on YouTube about Palm squeezes, they look good so I'll be giving those a go aswell. I think the most important thing is to select a few exercises and stick with them

Can anyone link to the video of David Horne demonstrating "palm squeezes" with the thumbscrews? I'm having trouble visualizing the exercise based on the descriptions and never heard of these before. Can these be done with pony clamps and/or a TTK?

Can anyone link to the video of David Horne demonstrating "palm squeezes" with the thumbscrews? I'm having trouble visualizing the exercise based on the descriptions and never heard of these before. Can these be done with pony clamps and/or a TTK?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27s2DE3bTdc