Millennium Dumbbell

mobsterone

Page 160 of the UK edition there's a paragraph right there, massaging my ego. I wont dwell on the 226 when its 228 and no mention of poor old Alan Radley, co-creator, cos I'm in it anyway :D

Mob is the handle the same size on Millennium as the Inch and the width also? Thanks Steve

The length between globes is longer but the diameter is the same (2 and 3/8ths of an inch - about 60mm)

By most do you mean Americans? Cos 'most' here in the UK can get 60mm :tongue

Mobster,

I was talking about the Staver foundry Inch replicas having the 2.47"

I was not aware that the Inch replicas in your homeland

came with 2.38"- do you mean they all come that way or that a certain manufacturer offers such?

Don't confuse the onlookers ;) . It's two and 3/8ths of an inch as opposed to 2.38 (different again than 2.47). I was talking about handle size and have no idea of what the dimensions are on the replicas other than being able to say the one I have lifted felt identical to the original.

JOE

There are only 4 INCH REPLICAS that i no of in the UK,all were made by the HOLLE brothers and all have 2.3/8" handles.

Hope this helps.

JOE

There are only 4 INCH REPLICAS that i no of in the UK,all were made by the HOLLE brothers and all have 2.3/8" handles.

Hope this helps.

Then they are not Inch Replicas?

I believe that Inch Replicas have a handle of 2.47

Which the one I have is :D that I got from the

Staver Foundry

Matt

Edited by Emsquared

Bruce White made the first Inch replica, or Arthur Saxon did- if you believe Inch, who said Saxon mastered his own replica but still could not get Inch's off the floor.

Yeah right.

Anyone can make a replica- I was merely trying to determine if there is consistency.

2.38 inches is not the same as 2 and 3/8ths of an inch just as its not the same as 2.47 inches. There wouldn't be much between them. However, I have NEVER measured the original and perhaps Joe has as he has had the opportunity. The OHF and others who had access to the original bell for many years only once (Malcolm Whyatt) did any scale or tape work. IF and only IF the replicas are based on an up-to-date and accurate measurement will they be true replicas. The above comments are made in the hope of accuracy.

However, the slight differences wouldn't prevent one from being able to lift another unless doing so was your absolute limit.

I measured the original three times: 2-3/8".

I had read that it was 2.47" so it surprised me

that it was not.

John Wood, who of course has access to the Inch

original and Staver replicas, says the original is

slightly easier because of the smaller diameter.

In my case, the handle on my Millennium is smaller than

my Inch replica, and in fact feels smaller.

If the handle of the Original Inch D/bell is 2.3/8",then surely the 4 Inch Replicas in the UK all with 2.3/8" handles are a better copy/replica.

At the end of the day who realy gives a shit,i certainly dont,i am quite shure that the Replicas here in the UK made by the Holle brothers arte equily as hard to lift as the ones made in the US and the original itself.

I think the slight varience in weight is more of an issue than the slight difference in handle thickness.

Unless we all tast are lifting skills on the exact same one ,whos gonna no,either you made the lift on the day with that particular Inch Replica or you did not,a bit like the variance in some grippers,makes thgings more interesting :D

As regards who gives a concern about the bar diameter,

well, I guess I do.

As a friend just reminded me, a replica is an exact copy,

and if the Staver bells are thicker handled than the original then they are not a replica. Now before Martha Stewart gathers her garden brood over tea to shout opposition let me add that certainly if the 2.47" can be

lifted, then assuredly the 2-3/8" can be by the same person.

But it appears- if all other dimensions are accurate- that the bells in England/UK are a 'closer' replica than the Staver version.

Does it matter? Not in the grand scheme, but in my

database, yes, it matters.

And thank you, Ray, for the nudge and reminder.

I commend you Roark for always seeking the whole thruth and nothing but the thruth.

Rick Walker :rock

Do we get off the point or what. The Inch is 2 and 3/8th's like I said and the UK versions are 2 and 2/8ths so...

It is a distinction lost on those who do not care. It appears to be annoying to you, Mobster, when some of us try to be specific.

You need not reply to threads that hold no interest for you. Another specific thought.

Roark,

Great job on getting the facts on the INCH. How come the Staver Foundry didn't do the same, before they made the mold? Facts do matter, a replica should be a replica!!!

--------------------------

"Live long, stay strong" - C.F.B.

The difference between 2.47 and 2 3/8'' diameter as far as circumference is concerned, is a hair under 3/10'' That is a lot for people of average size hands. Roark's 2.38'' was clearly a typo mixing fractions and decimals. Here is another typo ...... (versions are 2 and 2/8ths so...) We all do it so no need to get smart.

Steve

Were did the 2.2/8ths come from,the 4 i no of are all 2.3/8ths.

Joe your constant search for EXACT data is like RW said,to be applauded,these things do make a difference,and will continue to do so ,especialy in years to come.

The 4 UK inch Replicas were all cast from Thomas Inches Original mold :whistel