Nails?

Clay Edgin

I'm curious how thick the nails are in inches? I've seen them referred to as 60 penny and such, but I don't know how thick that is. And how long as the nails that places like Ironmind sell?

I took a piece of 1/4" round barstock that was 12" long and bent it in half. That was tough! It's much easier if you do it over the bridge of your nose like Slim Farman does although even that places a whole lot of pressure on your nose.

Clay,

a 60p nail is 6"x1/4", and is usually made of an alloy much tougher than hot rolled mild steel. The ironmind Blue nail is 6"x1/4" HRS, the Red 7"x5/16" CRS. Proper nail bending is done unbraced, using your wrists to provide the force.

Robert

RSW,

Do you or any other bender know the correct name for a 7" by 5/16" nail? I found a box of 25 for a few bucks, and bought it as a motivator. Are these 80D's or 100D's?

Bender,

I thought 80 penny nails were 8" long. The ones in Terry Duty's chart are 8"x5/16 and 8"x3/8".

Can you bend them?

Robert

They, like the first 60D's I bought are "unbendable". As of now, they are for motivation and are my goal pieces of steel.

Those are pretty tough, fer sure. They are a bit harder than the Red Nail, if we have the same ones.