Some Ideals For Homemade Pinch Tools.

Josh O'Dell

Id like to do more pinch workouts but dont have the money for all that stuff

What are some things i could make, please include measurements

Thanks guys!

I hooked a metal washer to a carabiner to use as a penny lift, and I cut the threaded part off of an eye bolt and use that as a stub. You can find various sized pieces of scrap wood and screw in an eye bolt to use as pinch blocks. I sanded the edges of a 4x4 a little bit and did that, it is pretty comfortable in the hand, though I don't use it often. You can do the same thing with a hockey puck for a hub trainer, I fixed a small weight plate to the bottom of it for a more similar feel to a plate hub and to make sure my finger tips don't go a little over the edge. Any of these should only cost a few bucks, if you don't have any of that stuff lying around already.

• Like 2

I'm no expert, least of all matters on pinch. But you can screw two 2x4s together, sand them a little, drill a hole through the bottom and run a rope through it to simulate the ironmind pinch block.

I drilled a hole through a quarter and ran twist ties through it for pinching.

Also i just picked up pony clamps of all sizes for a buck each at a 99 cents store, they all have them. And you can put rubber bands around the end to add resistance.

Edit: just saw the guy above me said most of what i said lol. Beat me to it

Edited by Anthony C.
  • Like 1

Sweet i like making stuff so this will be fun, Thanks guys

That reminded me that I have been meaning to get a pony clamp.

• Like 2

Also check out the member rico300zx's photo gallery, he made a ton of pinch stuff. Really cool stuff.

If you get a chance to see John Brookfield's blue print for grip strength DVD, he shows you to get two 2x6's around 25" long; put a nail in on the ends so you can put plates on. And then overlap two ends the width of your hands, and pick it up and squeeze. Kinda like a TTK ...and a really brutal trainer. You can use thinner boards, too, for greater ROM.

Sweet thanks !

Any i wanna make what i can, now im going

To focus on making a pinch block and hub

This is simply my opinion but metal feels completely different than wood. I made wood pinch blocks but don't use them anymore.

And the hockey puck hub idea only sort of works. Once the weight gets heavy enough the puck flexes.

Thats my plan i have good resources to make metal

Stuff at work.

I drove bended and sharpened ironmind green nail to 2x4 and 4x4 wood blocks so i could use those with carabiner and loading pin.

If you prefer metal over wood, you can of course do same kind of thing by welding.

I have made several shallow hubs from annular cutter slugs and scraps of plate steel. I also made a TTK-ish device from angle and tube. I don't have access to a welder so I drill and bolt everything.

If you come up with any good ideas, please share. I like to make things as well.

I made (and still use) some pinch blocks out of RHS some years ago.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?app=galleryℑ=7782

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?app=galleryℑ=11250

The 2HP variety still gets a run nearly every Sunday arvo (except yesterday . . . . 'cause it was 116deg F. in the shed - and rivers of sweat + chalk doesn't work too well !)

They're a little bit of work to "make" but will last forever. Realistically I could have used 50mm * 125mm on the 2HP as my figure tips are not anywhere near the bottom edge.

I should probably mention that 50mm is not my preferred width for pinching.

Dave

Cool stuff guys ! I will update you on my creations. Everyone is moe

Than welcome to share there creations here.

As of lately i have really started to enjoy pinch work, so today at work i

Was having withdraws from my homemade coin top. Needless to say

I made something at work to help, it has two options a washer or a soda can

Tab, the tab is vert tough and the washer a bit easier. I simply tie the string to a dumbel

Or whatever and go to town;) here it is.

post-23284-0-96436500-1391985250_thumb.j

Watch my 2hp tutorial, I show lots of home made things that are useful for training pinch that are easy to make.

Edited by rico300zx

Ok thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet stuff man!! Like the double hub