Crushing An Egg In Your Hands

MadMardegan

I'm sure most people here have heard that it's supposedly impossible to crush an egg only using one hand (provided you hold it in the palm and not crushing it with your fingers)

Has anyone here tried it? Or been successful?

I just tried it now and was nowhere near cracking it. Only tried left cause I think I've (bad word filter)ed up my right hhad (might make another topic on that later) but it felt pathetic.

Looking forward to hearing people's stories/experiences on this. Videos would be cool too if anyone does manage to do it

- Mick

Used to do it many years ago when I was a kid and haven't for years. Makes a mess!

Yes, it's easy and I don't see what all the fuss is about.

But I do like some eggs.

im always nervous when cooking with eggs as I have a habit of squeezing and cracking the damn eggs! Didn't realise it was hard?

The egg is a geometrically perfect shape. If you simply try to crush from the North-South points you won't be able to do it.

Mike, it's not impossible, I've done it, and it was pretty easy. Thumb on bottom, index finger on top, it exploded with a loud little pop. Someone posted about this months ago and that's when I tried it.

Mike, it's not impossible, I've done it, and it was pretty easy. Thumb on bottom, index finger on top, it exploded with a loud little pop. Someone posted about this months ago and that's when I tried it.

Do you think it's possible maybe your thumb or index finger were pushing in on the side and it cracked that way?

I'm a bit apprehensive when people say it's easy.

Just tried this, here is the result:

http://tinypic.com/r/2e3z58i/5

First squeeze was a clear no go; it felt like a rock. Got a little better grip and squeezed a little harder and it exploded into a million pieces. Even held it over the sink but it still went everywhere, lol.

Definitely doable for probably anybody on here, IMO, but harder than it looks.

Not really. And I made sure it was just the tips of my thumb and finger on it...

But you know, if there is a "sweet spot" precisely on the bottom and top of an egg where you can apply pressure just in that spot and it won't pop, then it kinda proves that the structure of eggs really ain't all that strong anyway.

But back to my initial statement, it's easy, and messy. Just squeeze hard and don't think about it. Maybe you just psyched yourself out by people telling you how hard it is.

First squeeze was a clear no go; it felt like a rock. Got a little better grip and squeezed a little harder and it exploded into a million pieces. Even held it over the sink but it still went everywhere, lol.

Is that blood on your hand?

Is that blood on your hand?

Yep.

Not really. And I made sure it was just the tips of my thumb and finger on it...

But you know, if there is a "sweet spot" precisely on the bottom and top of an egg where you can apply pressure just in that spot and it won't pop, then it kinda proves that the structure of eggs really ain't all that strong anyway.

But back to my initial statement, it's easy, and messy. Just squeeze hard and don't think about it. Maybe you just psyched yourself out by people telling you how hard it is.

It sounds like the way you did it was the opposite of how MadMardegan is describing crushing in your palm, not with your thumb/fingertip.

Once, when i was drinking beer with my friend i tried to prove him that it was impossible to crush an egg if you placed it in your hand right way.

I took an egg which was out of date and squeezed over sink and BAM! Pieces of egg were everywhere and at a moment we did not feel like cleaning up. Result was that in morning there was quite artistic formations of ants in walls.

This happened few years ago, when i was not training grip.

Edited by FJM

I think the second way shown in this article would be interesting, palm to palm like a chest crush. Would remove any issues about whether the fingertips are jabbing into the side of the shell. I suspect most people are pretty weak at chest crushing and folks here to train it should be able to break the egg this way.

I find egg shells vary quite a bit. Cheap supermarket brand eggs are like paper mache but eggs from certain farms, usually the fancier eggs, are like 3 times as thick, probably better quality diet or different breed.

I challenge someone to do an ostrich egg. Ostrich_egg.jpg

Edited by truth1ness
  • Like 1

That's what I'm saying Tommy. Haha. Just crush the damn egg. If there's some really special way you gotta hold it so that it doesn't crush, then all you're doing is begging the question.... Which proves that eggs aren't hard to crush, cause, you know, they're eggs.

That's what I'm saying Tommy. Haha. Just crush the damn egg. If there's some really special way you gotta hold it so that it doesn't crush, then all you're doing is begging the question.... Which proves that eggs aren't hard to crush, cause, you know, they're eggs.

Couldn't you say this about almost any grip lift? A hub is easy if you wrap your fingers around the bottom rather than put your fingers in the correct place, but that doesn't "prove" hubs are easy.

so there are easy eggs and hard eggs now?

Yes: http://www.ironmind-store.com/IronMind-EGG-Set-of-Two/productinfo/1425-2/ ;)

Edited by truth1ness

I just did it and mess up my kitchen. :sick:

Hahaha, well done Juha! So funny :D

I need to really up my training, I've never been able to break them >.<