• Sorinex G-Rex
    • Newyork Barbell
    • Weight Lifter's Warehouse
    • Ironmind
    • Joe Kinney
    • Homemade
    • Hammer Strength
    • Other

Are you using a grip machine. If so which one. If not, do you think that there is no real need, and that grippers are enough in themselves?

Grippers and KTA have been getting the job done for me.

I would like to have a PDA Gripenator though.

Good question. Having never used a grip machine I can't comment on their effectiveness. Though I can say that you can achieve tremendous levels of strength without them. Thus imho grippers are enough.

I have made do so far without one and have never had the chance to try one out. There has been a recent surge of interest in them on the board.

I have a homemade one,made about 10years ago,i have just blew the dust off it and started getting interested in it again.

I would love a G-Rex or Gripanator.

Without bein big headed,apart from the 2 above mine is more heavy duty than anythin else on the market,if anyone cannot afford a goodun like the Gripanator or G-Rex,or are just strapped for cash,give me a buzz and i will send you a pic of it with the diamentions on it,all you then need is a welder,or someone who can weld.

Thanks John :D

I got it made about 10years ago,when i was into martial arts,i saw one that Bruce Lee had and decided to get me own made only heavier duty,just wish i had been into grip as much as i am now,but you cant turn back the clock and i have a lot of catching up to do :D

I have a modified IM Hardy Handshake(you can now grip it from underneath the handle, got the idea from someone on the board) that I have not used since purchasing the KTA. It's like Ricky Dale Crain says, "If you want to be a good bencher......bench!!! I have made tremendous progress using just the grippers. I think this is due to the fact that no machine can duplicate the "resistance curve" that you get from the torsion spring. Just my 2 cents.

Mike

gazza,

You grip machine is just like the NYB one. The only problem I have with these machines is YOU CAN'T ADD ENOUGH WEIGHT TO IT.

My vote is for the G-Rex. You can load a bunch of weight PLUS yourself on it! :bow Yes, you can put your fat old butt on it (um, I'm talking about me), and then add weight plates and then get ready to watch yer fingers get ripped off your hand!! :yikes

BTW, yes.... USE A GRIP MACHINE. Whatever you use, it will be worth it to bring your grip up. Even for the budget conscious, the grip machine from NYB is still well worth it. I really got nowhere until I started using a grip machine. :happy:)

Sybersnott

My grip machine will hold over 200kilos plus me,so no probs about the weight there :D

If i was to make it again,i would make the gripping bars 3/4" to better simulate the grippers,also make it taller so you dont bend over as much and cheat useing deadlift tecknique instead of pure grip.

I think that the Gripanator is the best machine for useing and simulating grippers.

The G_REX is the daddy for all around use and looks like it is indestructable.

It is! I am having a real problem with this nice new G-Rex just sitting in my house-and I can't even get chalk on it!!!!!!

I have an Atlas-I bought it from Wannagrip. I dont use it all that often, but I can hold 100 pounds (429) shut petty easy. I couldn't part with it though because it is a great tool for beginners and I still use it now and then for thumb work.

I never really got any results from my secret weapon. Hopefully Bender53 does.

Rick Walker :rock

I used a Hammer Strength machine but not in my training. I hate it. Slick handles and way too small diameter. However, it destroys the bodybuilders ego when you perform one hand negatives on it with the pin fully loaded. They can't budge it with two hands "even though they have toned and cut bis and backs". :D

Hah, I use the same thing Tou. It is a pretty easy machine, I am running out of room when I use smaller plates.

I was thinking because of the small diameter, the increased ROM might help the last little bit of the close. Who knows.

I have used the Nautilus, which I do not care for because of un-natural hand positioning.

I like the Hammer Strength for the very reason Tou does not like it- slick handles allow the hand some movement during the range of motion. It seems though, if the top handle were female, and the bottom handle, male, a range of motion beyond that of the grippers could be attained.