California's Strongest Hands And Mas Wrestling Tourney 1/18/'1

daniel reinard

I've got some Ironmind gift certificates for the winners of California's Strongest Hands and now it gets even better. Lea Class be there next Saturday with her massage table offering some free work to all the competitors and spectators who need it. Lea has extensive experience in massage and myofascial stretching techniques and has put my broken ass back together on a number of occasions.

Wow, I've never heard of MAS wrestling so I Googled it. I was confused, though, you win by actually pulling the opponent on to your side? Or they just have to let go of the stick? I'm off to Youtube, but though I'd ask.

Wow, I've never heard of MAS wrestling so I Googled it. I was confused, though, you win by actually pulling the opponent on to your side? Or they just have to let go of the stick? I'm off to Youtube, but though I'd ask.

I think both situations you win, the opponent lets go of the stick of you pull him/her over. It is quite fun and its very tiring also. I was sore for days after one short session doing it. Your entire legs/core/back/and forearms are fried from doing it. It would be great to see more grip contests have them I think its relatively simple to set up.

Looking forward to a fun contest this weekend.

Edited by Stephen Ruby
  • Like 1

MAS wrestling - every time I think of doing this I imagine myself being launched through the air :). It looks like fun though.

Eh, we all get tossed now and then. Even me!

• Like 1

Wow, you couldn't have asked for a more perfect day. Well done, Stephen!

Be fun to see more complete results - soon I imagine.

Thanks

It wasn't the best numbers for myself I missed a lot of attempts on my bigger weights but still had a good time. A lot of the lighter weight guys were new to grip and did fantastic numbers considering that. I think one of the 90kg lifters almost hit around 160kg on the axle first time on the event. I tried to tie the record on the hammer lift a bunch of times, I did 24 quite easily in warm ups but I kept missing 25 inches after a easy 22 opener, that lift creeps up on you quick.

Highlight was watching the 90kg guys go at it in the mas wrestling, the last match was very close came down to one win a piece of best of 3-the first time the eventual leader lost a round even- so added to the excitement of that match.

It was a large group of guys and a fun contest, hopefully clay does it next year and competes this time :) I saw him casually after the contest rep out like 210 on the rolling thunder and do around 77 on the ironmind hub-got movement on around 85 even hah-

Ironmind was gracious to give away 50$ to each winner also

http://i.imgur.com/wCMgYjZ.jpg

I'm stealing these two pics of myself from clays fan page but I think you can see a few pictures of the contest on his facebook

http://i.imgur.com/JerJnfQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/eXJvjz5.jpg

Edited by Stephen Ruby
  • Like 1

Was the "Sledge DL" the same as the "coin load" commonly done in NAGS - if so that's one heck of a lift!

Was the "Sledge DL" the same as the "coin load" commonly done in NAGS - if so that's one heck of a lift!

Yeah it was I think its a great event also, easy to do and a simple test of wrist strength which is often overlooked in contests. I don't think it will take long before we outgrow the 12 lb sledge in the hw class.

http://i.imgur.com/FNAA8q9.jpg

Another picture stolen from the contest of the event

Yeah it was I think its a great event also, easy to do and a simple test of wrist strength which is often overlooked in contests. I don't think it will take long before we outgrow the 12 lb sledge in the hw class.

http://i.imgur.com/FNAA8q9.jpg

Another picture stolen from the contest of the event

Awesome and well done! Robert Miller did 25" here at Gripmas and the back of his hand was nearly at the end. So I agree we will be going to a heavier hammer very soon as people actually spend some time training it. I wish 14# hammers were more available - the jump to 16# is huge!

That picture of the competitor doing the lever raises a good point regarding judging. It looks as if the handle may be contacting his forearm, which, of course, shouldn't be allowed. Also, if Clay was on the other side of the competitor he could more readily catch this.

Very nice numbers on the lever, Stephen. Despite all the double overhand bending I used to do, I seem relatively weak at this one. Progress comes very slow. But it's a great event and I really like it, nonetheless.

Good looking out, Eric, on the photo of Jacob's attempt with the sledgehammer. He was attempting 15" with this lift and I called him for no lift because of the contact with his arm. Although I could have seen the lift better from the other side, or had the competitor stand on the opposite side of the platform, I felt sure I could still see any contact with the forearm on the handle. Of course, mistakes happen and no judge is above reproach. There was a RT lift from one of the competitors that I called as good and then second guessed myself, so I checked the cameras and saw that it wasn't fully locked out, so I spoke with the lifter and told him the lift was no good. He came back to lock it out on his next attempt and thanked me for "making" him do it again haha

Yeah, after posting I sort of second guessed my comment about which side would afford you the better line of sight. Good to know you were able to catch it without the aid of a still picture! I just started training this event for Aaron's contest and have caught myself making contact with my forearm, otherwise I wouldn't have been on the lookout for it.