Rt Chin-ups

Mephistopholes

So recently I've started training to do one-arm chin-ups. I'm using my opposite arm for assistance and adding reps and weight whenever possible. But something just occurred to me: why not try doing these with an RT handle to get some good grip work in?

So, has anybody used RT handles to do chin-ups, either one-arm style, or conventional two-arm style with two RT handles? What did you think of it? How did it feel?

Yes, there are a couple videos of guys doing one arm RT pull ups.

These people are rare because:

The one arm pull up is an uncommon ability.

The hand strength to pull bodyweight on an RT is also uncommon.

On two hands, this is much easier. But then, not many people have access to two RTs...

• Like 1

I am a big fan of rt pull-ups and they are fequently in my program. I do have a goal of a single arm RT pullup and do single arm deadhangs from the RT currently with bent arm hangs/pulls on my Rock Rings. Hope to start my single arm bent arm pulls on RT handles after the new year.

• Like 1

Assisting with the other hand from a RT which hangs lower (offset pull-ups) is an excellent exercise. You can increase difficulty by increasing the offset. It's also fun to try RT/Hub pull-ups :)

• Like 1

Guest Squat More

I've seen videos of Alexey Tyukalov doing multiple pull ups on RT handles on Juha's youtube page. He makes it look so easy, then again he can do a human flag as well. No wonder he holds the current WR in the rolling thunder. That Russian is just plain bull strong.

• Like 1

I've seen videos of Alexey Tyukalov doing multiple pull ups on RT handles on Juha's youtube page. He makes it look so easy, then again he can do a human flag as well. No wonder he holds the current WR in the rolling thunder. That Russian is just plain bull strong.

Yeah I've seen those and they are NUTS.

On two hands, this is much easier. But then, not many people have access to two RTs...

Totally. But it seems like from a hang it should be easier than pulling it from the floor.. I think there was a thread about that subject recently. But yeah, I've seen those videos too. Crazy stuff.

To be clear, when I say "assist" what I mean is one hand hangs from the bar, the other hand is grasping the wrist of the hanging hand. So if I used an RT, one hand would be hanging onto the RT, the other would be grasping the wrist of that hand. I wanna try these next time it comes up in my schedule... Think I can do it.

Totally. But it seems like from a hang it should be easier than pulling it from the floor.. I think there was a thread about that subject recently. But yeah, I've seen those videos too. Crazy stuff.

To be clear, when I say "assist" what I mean is one hand hangs from the bar, the other hand is grasping the wrist of the hanging hand. So if I used an RT, one hand would be hanging onto the RT, the other would be grasping the wrist of that hand. I wanna try these next time it comes up in my schedule... Think I can do it.

Still sounds hard... Do it!

• Like 1

I bought 8" sections of 2 3/8" OD pipe and put them on my pull-up bar. Once in a while I do pull-ups or one arm hangs from them. Not easy! Not quite the same as RT though.

• Like 1

Still sounds hard... Do it!

Oh I'll do it. I'll do it all day. Haha.

And recently my bodyweight has been quite a bit lower than it has in a couple years, 192. So that should make it a bit easier....

i am no where near a 1 arm pull up with any handle so no comment there. i did 2 hand pullups once with RT handles and it didn't seem much harder than regular pullups. that was when i was 15 Lbs. lighter. i will say the reps have to be more controlled from the hang. an explosive pull from a dead hang on a RT handle would cause slippage IMO.

• Like 1

There are at least one guy doing one arm pull-ups with rolling thunder.

I definitely will try that program some day.

So I couldn't wait, and had to try it today. Couldn't complete one, but got about about halfway up with either arm. It seems to me the challenge wasn't the grip, as I had a good hold on it and control, but the leverage, like I couldn't get the right leverage to get all the way up there. So that's something to play with.

Is there a good way to add a rolling element to my door frame pullup bar (the cantilever type that hooks over the frame like the iron gym model, not the screw in straight bar type)?

Timo Lauttamus just posted that on David Horne's forum.

Timo never ceases to amaze me. That is really impressive, specially at his bodyweight!