Frequency

Guest jeremysipple

Guest jeremysipple

hi i am new to hand training.i been training my hands for exactly 4 weeks. i have two captions of crush grippers. i have the trainer and the #1. i can close thetrainer with no effort. i can only close the #1 twice. i train with my grippers twice a week. i also pich grip cinder blocks. and do sledgehammer leverageing witha 6 lb hammer.i also do chins with a thick rope. i was wondering if i should be training less or divide my training up such as grip one day,pinch, wrists, etc? i also bought John brookfeilds mastery of hand strength the other day. Any comments are welcome. thanks jeremy sipple

Welcome to the world of grip training.

In regard to dividing your training up, it's really an issue of what your goals are. For instance, are you training to perform a specific grip feat or to train your hands overall. Personally I prefer to focus on one area until I attain the goals I have set for myself. For instance, I am training my pinch grip at the moment. This is the only grip specific work I will do until I attain my pinch grip goals.

This is just my approach. Best wishes with your training.

Frequency just depends on the individual. Some guys are able to train grip everyday. I personally have to train hard and then take the next 2 days off to fully recover.

Jeremy- I've been doing gripwork for about the last year on and off, sometimes half-heartedly. Right now my goal is to close the #2, and other grip work, like pinching is secondary to the grippers. Just make sure if you have a priority, you address it.

Me and my brothers and friends train about twice a week. I usually do grippers both days, then switch pinch and thickbar/rolling thunder. I also have been working the hub in. As far as other frequency i would do it any time your grip feels fresh.

Guest jeremysipple

hi thanks for the advice everyone. i guess right now i am training to close the #1 with no effort. i would like to to move to the #2 before summer is over. My secondary goals would be to pinch grip a cinder block for for a full minute and to do 20 rope chins by fall. i was wondering if anyone has any interesting ways to train for crushing power to add variation to my training. thanks jeremy sipple

i was wondering if anyone has any interesting ways to train for crushing power to add variation to my training.

Strap holds are always fun. You can do these by attaching a leather or nylon strap to some plates or loading pin and lift and hold the weight off the ground by pinching the strap in between the closed handles of a gripper.

KTA is very good at building crushing power as well. Check out the thread pinned to the top of the page for info.

Best wishes with your #2 goal. If you stay consistent you will mash it eventually.

Jeremy,

Training all aspects of hand strength all at once can be done-but it is my experience that the gains are slow at best.

To combat this, I pick a goal, zero in on it, and train it specifically until I reach it.

To do this-I use the KTA program/principles for all strength goals.

Try it-for $20, you can't beat the results it produces.

Rick Walker :rock

Rick's advice is good.

Also, if you don't have Mastery of Hand Strength then go to the Ironmind web-site and order it immediately. This book will give you a good foundation of knowledge.

-HH