Breaking Ball Bats

PREACHERKERB

I am looking for techniques and advice on bat breaking. I have broken several bats by placing the bats in the groove of my upper thigh and then applying downward pressure until the bat breaks in two. All the bats I have used are name brand, nothern ash, sealant treated bats. I have broken the smaller kids bats (29 inches) which are actually harder since the handle is thicker and smaller in length. I have also broken the longer softball versions that are wrapped in tape on the handle (I had to break these above the tape in order to break them).

My questions are: 1. What kinds of bat do others of you use, and 2. What is the best technique (it always leaves big, deep bruises on my thigh!).

Thank you, Brian Kerby

Edited by PREACHERKERB

This is pretty stupid, but I use a towel on a lot of the other things I do, and I never thought of using one for bat breaking - That may save me a lot of the discomfort that comes with the break - thanks for pointing out what should have been obvious to me......