(?) For Tom Black

ruffhans

Actually any one who is an expert on levering like Black and Slim can help!

i have been levering for one month. i do levers to the side of my head and also to the nose. forgive me for being dumb but, the proper way to lever is down to the side of your head, ( or nose). and then back up,... rite?

for some reason i thought i read a post about only going down to your head and then starting from the top position agian. i believe this is wrong. to my knowledge levering is like this, arm straight out infront of you or to the side, arms parallel to the ground, using only the wrist, lower to the nose,or side of head and back up.

am i rite? :D

Listen to me very carefully on this point: YOU ONLY LEVER DOWN TO YOUR FACE IF YOU ARE CONFIDENT THAT THE WEIGHT WON'T CRASH INTO YOUR FACE DOING THE STUNT!

This is a very dangerous stunt to do, so please be careful performing this!!!

Bring the weight back up again. Also be sure your arm is at least parallel with the ground (do not let your hand drop to below your shoulder). As Snott suggests, this is a poor exercise choice for doing severe negatives!!!

Mike M.

ruffhans,

Go to page 8 from this page (date is March 20)and scroll down the threads untill you see the post by W.Gillingham on sledgehammers.

Tom Black gives all the best info anyone would need on sledges.

Pics are posted as well.

Gosh Syber, it's not that dangerous, but I can see your concern. ruffhans, first tip is to practice most of your levering with one hand at a time. Work both hands alternatively, but train one at a time. If you must use two hands, do so with a weight way below your max. Second tip is to not actually lever to your nose but slightly out in front when doing weights closer to your max. Keep in mind that while the downward force is high the force to move the weight away from your body is actually small so just twist your hand slightly and catch the hammer with your other hand. Obviously, this method has its limitations. If you can strict lever to parallel a 6-pound hammer you might be able to control a 10-pound hammer and catch it if you fail on the weight. On a 16-pound it would simply come crashing down, don't try it!

Here's my latest sledgehammer article:

http://bigsteel.iwarp.com/Articles2/Sledge...edgehammer.html

One thing I've noted recently is that for most people shorter than Slim (which is most of us) they cannot really lever a sledgehammer head to their nose. Actually, for me at 5'10" I lever the hammer handle to my nose about 6" up the hammer handle.

On the full reps or just down, I've always done both. With a full rep you are getting the complete range of motion, and there is a different feeling to begin and turn a hammer back up. With just going down and not up you can overload the weight, but must be ready to catch it because this is essentially an overload to failure.