Some (?)s For Fellow Benders And Rippers

ruffhans

After seeing the results of levering, and an increase in wrist strength, i have ripped some decks in half. i also can rip a medium phone book in half. i would now like to try two new feats, bending a nail and ripping a full sise phone book, ( yellow pages).

so, with that i need some (?)s answerd.

#1 where should i look for a bunch of used yellow pages or something of that thickness?

#2what size nail do i seek to bend for a good starter nail?

any addvice with theese (?)s will help alot.

thanx dave :rock

I usually stock up on phone books at the beginning of a new cycle, which is november here. The people I work with drop their books off at the recycling bins, and I am in heaven. I actually haven't ripped on in a few months, and still have a stash hidden.

You could go to your local convenience store, look like you're lost, and say, "Excuse me, could I borrow your phone book?"

I started bending the 1/4" hot rolled steel, and tried cutting it down slowly. I haven't bent one since my 6 3/4" piece last year. Dennis Rogers encouraged me to start bending again. He specifically said "Don't get stuck on just the grippers. Broaden your range of what you can do." Yes, I want the #3. We'll see.

Good luck with the bending and tearing. It's great fun!

A lot of the bag o' nails seem to be equivilant to .250" bar stock. Just as Animal Cage recommends......go to Home Depot and buy some bar stock of cold roll steel. Start with an 8" piece...go to 7.5"....go to 7.25"...7"...6", etc. The 6", .250" diam. is close to the blue nail and is a great accomplishment to reach. Use patience. Have fun with it.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck with it. ;)

Gripintime2 good advice, but I would buy hot rolled 1st. Go ye gently into the goodnight my capt. In other words go slow and be careful this bending stuff can put you on the sideline for a gooooood long time. Two times it got me one for six weeks and the other 4 months. Read Strongman's and Tom Black's writings.

very true bender53,

i once destroyed my wrists chest-crushing a hard (for me) nail et had to take a break for about 5-6 months.

technique and going slow is the key

david

Damaged two joints on the left hand fingers, by way of PhoneBook.

(Left hand grippers still give me pain) :dry

Damaged tendon on right fore-finger, by way of 5/16" HRS.

(Healed after three months)

Learned my lessons the hard way too. Sad that so many people make the same mistakes. That's why I too placed a "bending newbie" section on my page about takeing your time and going slow.

Had some minor injuries too. Just recently hurt my left wrist while crushing a blue nail (i was trying to do a bend as fast as possible...stupid idea :D ). Nothing really serious though.

I should have heeded Bender53's advice..........which is what I have to remind myself to follow - Patience...patience...patience.

When I hurt myself bending, I had been having some nice and fast progress and at one time posted it. Bender53 advised me to not push a bending 'max' every time, (you don't go into each weight lifting workout to set a max) which I was trying to do twice a week (cutting the .250" diam cr steel and 3/8" aluminum shorter and shorter..).

Side of the hand is really just starting to feel better when putting side load pressure on it. Card tearing has become a new favorite to 'try'.

But back to my original point..........forget discouragement. Form and patience will give you a good workout and start to build up the needed strength. ;)

Edited by Gripintime2

When I hurt myself bending, I had been having some nice and fast progress and at one time posted it. Bender53 advised me to not push a bending 'max' every time, (you don't go into each weight lifting workout to set a max) which I was trying to do twice a week (cutting the .250" diam cr steel and 3/8" aluminum shorter and shorter..).

Wow. Also my exact experience...