Kink Strength, I Am Stuck In The 390- 400lb Range Need Help!

Jose Cabrera

So I've been bending for a little under a year now, with the help of Mike Sharkey, I have a dilemma, I can easily crush a 400lb 19/64" ×7" o1 drill rod, but my kink is really lagging, I can kink most M bars to about 6 inches but its difficult as shit, any tips on kink strength and/or steel progressions would be greatly appreciated, its Do btw.

Have you thought about breaking your bending sessions up into kink sweep and crush session. This was suggested by EJ and Mike. Seems like a good way to concentrate on a weak point

• Like 1

So I've been bending for a little under a year now, with the help of Mike Sharkey, I have a dilemma, I can easily crush a 400lb 19/64" ×7" o1 drill rod, but my kink is really lagging, I can kink most M bars to about 6 inches but its difficult as shit, any tips on kink strength and/or steel progressions would be greatly appreciated, its Do btw.

I suggest you to join the benders battlefield.

Yeah I have been separating my bend sessions, and I am on benders battlefield, maybe I should take the topic over there, i am looking for insight on how to increase my kink strength, I weight 150 and 5' 7" and stuck in that 390 400 range, like fn' stuck!

Yeah I have been separating my bend sessions, and I am on benders battlefield, maybe I should take the topic over there, i am looking for insight on how to increase my kink strength, I weight 150 and 5' 7" and stuck in that 390 400 range, like fn' stuck!

I suggest posting (both at BB and here) a video of your kink attempts.

Something that helped me was to get away from the steel for a month or two, do heavy benchpressing and lots of sledgehammers.

Before I did that I couldnt kink an IM red nail in IMPs. Got back and SMASHED THE S**T out of the red nail in IMPs.

How is your bending training set up now and how long have you been following the same routine?

It's usually not about finding some special exercise or something like that....it's usually about changing your approach simply to create a new stimulus for your body to adapt.

Play with the parameters of your workouts.....intensity, volume, frequency, order of exercises (don't always bend first in your workout), use more or less warm-up bends, try and bend for speed or intentional slow down and make smaller but more frequent hits on each bend, use larger or smaller wraps, etc......there's tons of possibilities.

Sometimes we're trying so hard to break down the door to get to the next level, we forget to step back and use the doorknob.

• Like 4

NG: that is a great idea, I will throw that in The mix!

Wojo: thanks for the advice, the strict imp bending very often has hit a wall, I gotta switch things up, Congrats on your cert btw brother!

Thanks again Gentlemen.

NG: that is a great idea, I will throw that in The mix!

Wojo: thanks for the advice, the strict imp bending very often has hit a wall, I gotta switch things up, Congrats on your cert btw brother!

Thanks again Gentlemen.

Thanks bud!

Post up a video man. There are a lot of people here with really good eyes. They can provide a different perspective than I can.

Another light weight bender I see. I put up an article on how I went from 3/16th to certifying the Red and what worked for me. Could be helpful. It's in the Bending section.

Agreed with Brian... Check out his thread. You guys are similar in size & he has a lot of insight in that particular area!

COol man ima check that out, im resting up, I work two 11 hour shift on the week ends but im gonna post early this coming week for some pointers, just got the wifi operational again at home.

Nice work JC! Keep hitting the bar & it'll fall quicker... heats up the steel.

Chalk your whole hands, including the back, for much better grip during the crush. Squeeze with your fingers also, you will add crush strength. I would keep your elbows lower and in front of you during the kink. You're losing force with a little bit of chicken-winging.

Edited by Mike Sharkey

Been bending since january, pretty consistent when work doesnt get in the way. Thanks again, Shark is a good coach, and yeah I gotta learn to use heat to my advantage.

Well said Mike! I'm taking notes brother! !

Edited by robertmiller67

Dumbbell Flys and Deadstop Explosive Bench.