My Experiment This Afternoon

Jonathan McMillan

Didn't get much sleep today, usually when I work nights I need to get a minimum of six hours to function at a half zombie state but maybe the lack of zzz's help[ed me come up with this idea. I don't think I've read anyone else posting about trying this so here goes:

I tried two different styles. The first would be used with a gripper you can shut but want to increase the difficulty with it. What I did was tied a piece of hay twine on my gripper handle. This twine was then layed over the safety bar in my cage at the top notch and at the other end of the twine I hung a 5lb plate. Gripping the gripper with my arm locked so that the handle was parallel to the floor I straddled the string with my pinky and ring finger. Trying to keep the gripper arm still I shut the gripper. It was great as it added resistence to the whole movement so unlike a strap hold it worked the entire "sweep".

The second way I did this was with the twine and weight hanging off the gripper handle. Again keeping the arm locked so that the handle was parallel to the floor. I only tried it with 5lbs but it was enough for me to tell that this could work to decrease the resistence to a gripper in a controlled fashion.

Anyways I was going to wait until I could get some pictures to describe what I'm talking about but I was just too excited and had to share this with everyone. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get some pictures as they'll probably be easier to interpret then my rambling.

Jon@han

Good idea,you could also tie the twine between the gripper & a weight stack "cable crossover" bottom pulley. This should work great?

Yes, I should think attaching the twine to a cable weight stack would be ideal, I might invest in putting a pulley wheel in the top of my cage for these sorts of things.

Jon@han

I posted two pictures to clarify the first technique. I really like this, found 5lbs with my #1 to be quite challenging. The picture is my trainer with 1/2lb though :blush

http://ca.photos.yahoo.com/dkorwell

As far as the other method of just hanging weight off to decrease the resistence to close a gripper...tried it out seriously today and wasn't very happy with the results.

Jon@han