Truly Amazing Display Of Grip Strength.

1stCoC

I saw the YouTube video of Mike Burke giving a remarkable effort in trying to clean a PAIR of Inch 172 lb.Dummbell replicas. The video seemed like late in the day and Mike was still focused to a truly smooth clean attempt at cleaning the pair. I really did not think in my lifetime to ever see this. The bells were pulled high and smooth with no thigh brush. The bells did a complete turnover and for a second were in perfect racking position to hold and recover. It was a shame the lift was not completed.After seeing 50 years of strength feats combined with grip and this ranks right at the very top. If he could have cleaned them and perhaps having the reserve strength to jerk or push press them overhead I would personally rank it at a top strength feat of all time. He seems gifted with strength almost beyond bounds. Great, great job!

• Like 3

This is TRULY AMAZING!! Trying a feat most people never need to think about must be very special... Hopefully he'll succeed - good luck BIG BOY!

Brutal stuff right there wow !

Absolutely awesome!!!

100% agree Richard! Awesome strength by Mike Burke! I wish him that he'll get it done in the future!

What would be better? I am hard pressed to say....

Double inch snatch :devil -probably not even possible but sounds cool-

But really that was absolutely incredible would love for him to do mighty mitts next year!

Edited by Stephen Ruby

Even getting that far is amazing!

• Like 1

Pure awesomeness!! The man is a beast!!!

I'm curious if he ever really practiced that feat before or whether it was more of a spur of the moment type attempt. That's super impressive crazy strong.

I'm curious if he ever really practiced that feat before or whether it was more of a spur of the moment type attempt. That's super impressive crazy strong.

I was wondering the same thing. I suppose not too many people have two Inch dumbbells lying around.

I came in about the same time as Mike Burke did on Sunday morning. I saw the Inch Dumbbells on the floor, and said, "what are those doing there?" I was afraid an "Inch Dumbbell Lift" got added to the contest! Someone said, casually, "oh, Mike Burke is going to try to double clean them". I was busy, I don't think I saw the attempts. I did see him fully clean one, and again, I can't believe that it was pretty casual. I don't think he sees these things the way most of us do. It is as if the stuff is just another day at the office...

• Like 1

I actually dont think it's the grip thats the hardest thing here. Keep in mind hes having to power clean 344lbs of dead, awkward weight from his ankles ands he is what? 6 foot 7?? Really can't overlook that part either.

I keep looking at the form used to elevate the bells...really solid. I don't know if anyone has ever meaningfully tried this feat( I mean a long pull, solid turnover, with fairly high catch) other than Mike.To put it in perspective the best unaided clean and press i can find listed with any type of dumbbells in a similar fashion is a pair of 175 lb. normal handle bells. I questioned a seasoned strongman about the possibility if cleaned could Mr. Burke elevate them ( in any way)overhead and his very quick reply was "yes" that Mike had very strong overhead lift power. Press.. I am not sure ,but a jerk or push press of them would be historic to say the least. Chris James and Laine Snook come to mind as people that might be on this rare list of potential.

• Like 1

I look at it this way hopefully to put it into perspective. There are thousands out there that have power cleaned as much to over a hundred pounds more but.... None of them can / or has cleaned the Inch replicas. Yes ,without straps and 4 " below the starting height for a normal barbell is really a great feat but putting it together with the grip difficulties present make It truly world ,world class. I would be very interested what our highest ranked Olympic or Strongman competitors would say if this question were posed to them.

Chris James and Laine Snook come to mind as people that might be on this rare list of potential.

Also Brian Shaw.