Modified My #3

2strong

terminator,

Please re-examine your statement. Seasoning is usage. If you use something, it will only weaken over time and NOT get stronger. We are talking about steel, right? And steel is no different when it comes to time and usage; normal wear and tear. The strength of the spring does level off and stay level, though.

Snott,

Please re-examine your statement. I have seen gripper springs get stronger with use. I think seasoning is an iffy. Some grippers loosen, some stay the same, and some harden. If you don't belive me, call Tetting he will tell you the same thing.

The leveling off part is what I do not understand. Why would the weakening stop? Why would seasoning be any different to metal fatigue?

The leveling off part is what I do not understand. Why would the weakening stop? Why would seasoning be any different to metal fatigue?

The seasoning of the gripper happens when the metal grains in the spring switch places. After a while the grains will become stable ( not move around ), and the weakening will stop.

Actually, seasoning is not a figment and I disagree Pat. Ask someone whose expertise is dealing with these springs. I believe that's where the info came from. PDA merely confirmed it.

I have spoken to quite a few spring experts. Grippers can do just about anything with usage, get harder, easier, or stay the same. I defy ANY spring expert to predict what will happen to a particular gripper.

That's what I meant about it being a figment, they don't automatically get easier.

If there are changes going on at a molecular level, then what happens may depend on the starting condition of the molecular structure of the metal that the spring is made of. Changes that may lead to stability, may be in a direction that causes the gripper to get easier, harder or somewhere in between. That would tie in with Terminator's findings.