2013 Gripmas Carol

climber511

Sledge Choke Event NAGS Records

83K – 216# - Bob Sundin

93K – 264# - Chris Rice

105K – 300# – Jedd Johnson

120K – 300# – Robert Miller

Jedd just informed me he only did 24" (tied his old record from Thanksgripping) and missed at 25" here at Gripmas - so the owner of the new Sledge Choke Record is Robert Miller only. Congrats Robert!!!

Thanks Chris & Jedd!

A mere clerical error is all... Jedd encouraged me during all the attempts & that's what its all about guys! True sportsmanship at its best!

Thanks again for an outstanding event Chris... we'll be back next year sir!!

Thanks Chris & Jedd!

A mere clerical error is all... Jedd encouraged me during all the attempts & that's what its all about guys! True sportsmanship at its best!

Thanks again for an outstanding event Chris... we'll be back next year sir!!

Well - if you come next year we're going to need either a longer handle or a heavier hammer :)

Gripmas Feedback Questions for those who were there?

• This is the first time the ISG has been contested that I am aware of. What did you think of it – and did you like the light system that showed without doubt the close?
  • I ran the one hand Euro Pinch differently than usual. What are your thoughts about running each width separately? And your thoughts on doing left and right hands together the way we did? The same question might be applied to the One Hand Axle left and right together?
  • Sledge Choke – what are your thoughts on it as an event? Anything that might make it better?

What things do you think might be improved to make things better in any way?

Thank you Chris Rice for holding this contest once again. This contest will always be remembered as one of my most memorable. It was great to see everyone. I met some really cool new guys that were unbelievably strong. You would of never known it was their first contest by their performances. It was awesome to meet you guys. Hope to see you guys on down the grip road. Congratulations to all who achieved new world records. What an amazing group of guys to compete with. Glad I could be a part of it. Hands down one of the coolest contests there is ! Thanks to all the sponsors and help that goes into making this happen.

Bodyweight was the lightest I've competed at since U.S. Nationals 2012. I weighed in at 191lbs

Edited by kodydelone
  • Like 2

Gripmas Feedback Questions for those who were there?

• This is the first time the ISG has been contested that I am aware of. What did you think of it – and did you like the light system that showed without doubt the close?
  • I ran the one hand Euro Pinch differently than usual. What are your thoughts about running each width separately? And your thoughts on doing left and right hands together the way we did? The same question might be applied to the One Hand Axle left and right together?
  • Sledge Choke – what are your thoughts on it as an event? Anything that might make it better?

What things do you think might be improved to make things better in any way?

I think the ISG was ok. once you get to the higher lifts on it though there are only big jumps. And, it's not that high. If you close TSG's in the 170+ range you could hit a brick wall pretty easy.

I did not like the light. since you had to depress the light and then back off for it to activate you had to listen for the click. lots of guys closed it and stood there grinding because they didn't know if it was shut or not.

It seems like the 1HP/axle went ok. something to speed it up would be to eliminate warm ups on the device. it's always stated that your not supposed to do all your warming up on the device and then people do any way. if we made it attempts only it would help move things along. and, with 4 attempts no one should be bombing on openers.

my biggest concern going in was that it would be hard to keep track of who did what attempt with which hand. most athletes were good about stating if it was an attempt/warmup/left/right.

the choked sledge deadlift went well. we're going to need a longer or heavier hammer for that very quickly.

I agree with Brent here.. The ISG is good, I personally didn't like because I've never trained one - but that's my own fault and shouldn't factor in the input. I think the flashlight was a great idea but an audible tone would have been a bit better. Not being sure if I completely pushed the flashlight button caused me to use up more top end power than I wanted.

I think the light "idea" is great - but I want to come up with a system that comes on "immediately" when the handles close - that will eliminate the issue we had and still provide for a positive judging aspect. Judging gripper events has been a problem as long as I've been doing contests - it's not that I feel there have been so many bad calls as that it is very hard to see the actual close versus the "oh so close" ones when someones hand is shaking all over the place. Aaron has made a light system for TSGs but you would need one installed on every gripper used - which is tough to accomplish.

I used to have a chart for 3 springs on the ISG - I need to find it again and see if it has more even jumps on the higher end settings yet still starts low enough. If one of you find it - please send it to me. I really liked the ISG more than a table full of Torsion Spring Grippers to have to deal with. No rating questions - no fumbling around with blocks or questionable setting - just get a hold of the thing and go - it ran really smoothly.

Another option might be my remote handled grip machine idea - it has the same light system which could be changed of course but could be micro loaded as desired. I have no idea what people think of these versus the Torsion Spring Grippers.

The sledge choke is obviously going to need a heavier hammer - considering that Robert never even trained for the event and about maxed it out - when guys start working this one hard - a 12# hammer isn't going to cut it. I think a 16 might be too much but 14s are very hard to find - a solution will have to be found that works out - it shouldn't be too difficult - maybe just attach a steel weight to the head of a 12 in a way that can be duplicated by all?

This is the first time the ISG has been contested that I am aware of. What did you think of it – and did you like the light system that showed without doubt the close?

I prefer 20-mm Block Set grippers, myself.

I ran the one hand Euro Pinch differently than usual. What are your thoughts about running each width separately? And your thoughts on doing left and right hands together the way we did? The same question might be applied to the One Hand Axle left and right together?

PINCH: The way it was run was great. It still took forever though. I am thinking we should have 5-lb jumps and nothing smaller. I just can't think of anything else to make it run quicker.

AXLE: There is an issue here. I felt like I was going to pass out after about 50% of my lifts, probably due to my diet and hydration the last two days prior to the comp. I think there needs to be an allowance of time between attempts per hand. In other words, if someone lifts 200-lbs lefty, they shouldn't have to go immediately righty, at least if they are feeling woozy. Again, it wasn't every attempt, only on a couple where I really had to strain. I brown-out and see stars a lot anyway, most likely to heavy use of the Valsalva maneuver because I am always leery of my back.. Maybe it is just me.

I thought the Axle ran pretty quickly, if I recall.

Sledge Choke – what are your thoughts on it as an event? Anything that might make it better?

There is certainly variation between quarters. I have never seen a quarter stay on so nicely for such tilted lifts. Generally, it slides right off. I will have to buff down the top and bottom. But the quarter may have been rougher due to whatever was on the one side, which caused more friction. Not sure.

12-lb Sledge, including Robert Miller's new record lift

Feats after Gripmas: Bunch of us Trying the 2-45's Transfer.

I just want to say that I don't consider mine legit where I switched hands and held them aloft. I would have rather seen good separation between the plates and both hands. Maybe that's just me being anal, but oh well. I will keep training it and eventually get it.

This is the first time the ISG has been contested that I am aware of. What did you think of it – and did you like the light system that showed without doubt the close?

I prefer 20-mm Block Set grippers, myself.

Chris - I think "anything" is better than block setting Torsion Spring Grippers :) - but I know the rest of the world disagrees with me. But no matter what we use - I like the idea of a positive close indicator of some kind.

I ran the one hand Euro Pinch differently than usual. What are your thoughts about running each width separately? And your thoughts on doing left and right hands together the way we did? The same question might be applied to the One Hand Axle left and right together?

PINCH: The way it was run was great. It still took forever though. I am thinking we should have 5-lb jumps and nothing smaller. I just can't think of anything else to make it run quicker.

Chris - the only other thing I can think of is going to be run two complete apparatus. If Nationals turns out the way it loos like it might - I think we will have to run multiple setups on Pinch and Axle.

AXLE: There is an issue here. I felt like I was going to pass out after about 50% of my lifts, probably due to my diet and hydration the last two days prior to the comp. I think there needs to be an allowance of time between attempts per hand. In other words, if someone lifts 200-lbs lefty, they shouldn't have to go immediately righty, at least if they are feeling woozy. Again, it wasn't every attempt, only on a couple where I really had to strain. I brown-out and see stars a lot anyway, most likely to heavy use of the Valsalva maneuver because I am always leery of my back.. Maybe it is just me.

I thought the Axle ran pretty quickly, if I recall.

Chris - This is something you have talked about before at contests - the fact that you seem to need more time than average between attempts on your lifts. I know Olympic lifting has a one minute rule between different lifters and a two minute rule (after the weight change is completed) if you follow yourself - I see no problem with that in grip. Doing it the way we did - I wouldn't see a problem in you going left - someone else going - then you going right - that would give you more rest time and still keep things rolling without a weight change to slow things down.

Sledge Choke – what are your thoughts on it as an event? Anything that might make it better?

There is certainly variation between quarters. I have never seen a quarter stay on so nicely for such tilted lifts. Generally, it slides right off. I will have to buff down the top and bottom. But the quarter may have been rougher due to whatever was on the one side, which caused more friction. Not sure.

Chris - we are definitely going to have to be a bigger weight here with some kind of repeatable apparatus that promoters can make and use. And that quarter was weird the way it stayed on - the one at Thanksgripping would have been gone gone gone.

Just something to think about with the times. We can get together on that.

Trying multiple feats with the Blob:

Jason Otto first time Blob Lift. I added you to the list bro.

Left at Gripmas

• Bloomburg Wrestling hoodie – Jedd’s
  • Apple computer charger – Andrews
  • Water Bottle – Josh Rice
  • Striped folding chair – unknown

Things I need

• Several of you won a prize from Cannon Power Works – I need you to PM me what you won (it's on the green papers I gave you) and what address to send it to so I can get those prizes to you when they arrive.
  • Please look through your bags and see if you ended up with my Blue Mini Band – I saw a few people using them to warm up – please send it home if you find it.

If you're missing anything let me know and I'll dig around for it.

chris,

i brought my blue mini to warm up with. I only ended up bringing home 1. double checked bag and car. sure it didn't get hung up someplace silly?

chris,

i brought my blue mini to warm up with. I only ended up bringing home 1. double checked bag and car. sure it didn't get hung up someplace silly?

I have looked "everywhere"- but that doesn't mean it's not here someplace. It only means I can't find it :) so I'm asking all to check please.

http://www.angelfire.com/ar/mathgod/sg/supergripper.html

Here is an ISG calculator I found for 3 springs - it gives a smoother set of options especially as we reach higher resistances.

I brown-out and see stars a lot anyway, most likely to heavy use of the Valsalva maneuver because I am always leery of my back.. Maybe it is just me.

Dude, maybe dropping an entire Jedd in the last year has dipped your BP to low levels, hence the reason for browning out. Do you get dizzy if you stand up too fast from your couch as well?

Only time I have come close to passing out on a max deadlift was with a heavy deadlift in a super tight suit. Doing a 1 hand axle lift shouldn't be causing you to come close to passing out unless you are really holding your breath and straining. Seems tough to do on a 1 handed lift?

You cant drop crazy weight and not expect some sort of side effect come comp time. Hence the reason I always hated making weight for anything.

I think for it to happen time to time is normal, but all the time? I don't know...

I see stars after a lift once to twice a week in workouts. It's been years. Maybe once a month I brown-out. Mostly when I get pissed for missing a lift and scream after I miss.

I see stars after a lift once to twice a week in workouts. It's been years. Maybe once a month I brown-out. Mostly when I get pissed for missing a lift and scream after I miss.

It might be worth asking an actual doctor about this - it's not exactly "normal" to have that kind of frequency.

Good points made by all... I enjoyed everything so I didn't have any issues to speak of!

Them again I'm a new guy so I was excited just to be competing with you guys!!

-Chris I've swung hammers most of my life with 20+ years of construction & maintenance work under my belt... guess that counts for training right!? ;-)

I trained the event some this year but that's all... think I get a lot of my wrist strength from steel bending too!

-Jedd, that mid air transfer looked good to me brother! Maybe not as pretty as Kody's... but then again who does!?

Gripmas results (best of the two one handed lifts and sledge) have been added to the NAGS database. Once Aaron approves the entries, many of the lifts will go live on the top fifty lists. Stay posted..

Were the ISG results about the same as the results from a choker TSG event would've been? Just curious if there was any perceived shakeup there.

Was there a gripper monster who performed WAY below what they normally do on a gripper event?

From what I saw on the video, it looked pretty "fair" to everyone.