A Poll For You Iron Heads Out There.

Rick Walker

What would you rather have?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What would you rather have?

• 1. 10 million dollars.
    • 2. to reach all of your ultimate strength goals.

I went Easter shopping today. When I was walking out of the Mall-I saw a guy getting into his decked out BMW. The car was sharp. He, on the other hand, was very thin-small framed, almost frail looking.

I got wondering, as I often do. What causes us to chose to live life the way we do? Why do some of us put in crazy hours at the office to buy huge houses and nice cars-while others of us work jobs to give our familys a good life-but still find time to pursue our passions?

What causes one man to lift heavy iron until he sees stars and vomits, and another man to be content in a size small shirt on the golf course with hs other small friends?

Why do some of us never miss a workout-not for Christmas, not for your brother's wedding, not for sickness or inury-while others would never dream of lifting an iron bar loaded with iron plates, getting dirty, sweaty, and sometimes bloody?

To me-material things don't really matter. To me-strength is something that can never be taken away. Money comes and goes-cars come and go. Strength-this is something that no one can take from you. One day-in my grey years-I may not be able to shut big grippers, or deadlift big weight. But I can do it NOW. And that is awesome. That-is immortal. Being in Milo-is immortal. Setting records-is immortal. Lifting the Inch and the Blob is Immortal.

I take reaching all of my strength goals over money any day of the week!

Rick Walker :rock

I'll take the dough, and then reach ALMOST all of my strength goals. :D But seriously, I do follow your train of thought, and see many similarities in our priorities. You could call me a lot of not so nice things and not be too far off base, but materialistic is not one of them. Obsessive, yes.

Edited by eric milfeld

Rick,

I have to agree with you all the way on this. I've met plenty of rich people who if I put myself in their shoes, I'd be absolutely miserable. I'd rather live a humble and fit life, a middle class life, than as a morbidly obese, or frail millionaire. Just my 2 cents but I think that most of Cyberpump and the Gripboard probably agree.

Nick

people who like to train the way we do are rare. it's also unnecessary to train in this day and age, with everything being so easy. people just don't care about it. that being said, i'd take the money, because then i could afford the equipment to try to almost reach my goals, like eric, lol.

If it becomes either/or, then some miserable lives will have been lived.

Take care of the family, and as a pastime, pursue strength, and spend disposable money on strength only after the family is cared for.

Nothing sadder than a Muscle Beach bum who could never leave his childhood dreams and squandered his continuing present on a never attained future.

Could this be my philosophy because I didn't have enough potential? Could be, but I suspect retroactive life looks different than youthful hopes.

Be all you can be!

Exactly why I said, "work jobs to give our family's a good life-but still pursue our passions"

I agree-but if a genie granted me a wish of either limitless wealth-or limitless strenth-I would choose strength.

That is an easy choice.

Roark-what is potential?

I was a baby of low birth weight, allerigic to everything and anything. I could not go outside due to grass and tree allergies. I had (and still have) asthma so bad that I have hospitalized about 20 times in my life for respiratory distress. To make matters worse-it is exercise induced as well.

Couple that with a pacemaker.

I wouldnt say I have exactly the potential it takes to do much at all in the strength world.

Potential is what you make of it. Training hard, dedication, and patience will overcome potential any day of the week.

Rick,

Potential is becoming all you can become. A poor start does not increase potential, nor a good start help it.

When genetics become involve, the true potential becomes clearer.

When someone works extremely hard, they have not increased potential, merely fulfilled it. Yates used to say there were bodybuilders who could beat him if they worked hard enough (filled their potential genetics). But

Yates had mental drive the other lacked.

What was that expression, "Wealth is good, knowledge is fine, but STRENGTH is most honorable!". :bow

This topic reminds me of a guy I used to know who was a co-worker of mine. Same age as I was, although we were vastly different from each other. He was so frail and thin, I'll bet he didn't weigh more than 125 pounds on a good day. He also couldn't put a dent in my Trainer. When I showed him how easily I could close the #2, he was shocked. I guess he admired my strength, because I had it and he realized he probably never could.

Wealth? I'll achieve it on my own, thank you. Strength? You have to work for it; you can't buy it.

Roark-

As far as genetics go-I HAVE NONE! You should see my family-tall and skinny and frail-as I was always when I was young. Heck-I was 5'9" and 160 pounds as a senior!

Derek is an example of incredible genetic potential-big boned and naturally strong. Heck-I couldn't squat 300 deep until I got out of high school and I already had 6 years of training under my belt-and he can do it now with 3 weeks under his!

What I am trying to say is-Unless you beat yourself into the ground day after day-and have what it takes to go beyond what is normal-you will never see what you could be. How many people can truly say they can do this to themselves?

Rick, and everyone else too,

I've had my share of troubles too, and all we can do is accept it and drive on! I've had an ACL reconstructed, the full slice, a shoulder reconstructed, the full slice, and I'm still in rehab after a skydiving accident left me with about 20 fractures and collapsed lungs (no shit, really. All of this in the last 2 years). I submitted an article to wannagrip the other day, and I think I did a poor job of paraphrasing a quote a read on the cyberpump site ( I assume everyone here's a member). I'll give it a better shot this time. Anyway, it goes something like this, " In my mind, it takes extreme audacity to bemoan one's health, no matter how bad you think your lot is, when people suffer from paralysis, palsy, or other neuromuscular disorders. Every day that finds you alive is a blessing, AND A CHANCE TO TRAIN.

Happy Easter, and Semper Fi :rock ,

Nick

Pretty deep Rick. It is a blessing and a privledge to have your health and like any privledge, our strength can be taken away as well. I thank God every night for my health and if I had to choose between health and wealth I'd most certainly choose health. We'd all like to think that we'll live to the golden years, still full of life and vitality but unfortunately, that is not always the case. Many of strong men have spent their last days in a wheelchair or the like.

This was not meant to sound negative, but nothing outside the Lord is immortal. Our time is limited here. Train hard and be thankful but never satisfied. Happy Easter everyone!

-Dan

there is more to my life than strength....money equates to opportunities , especially of that denomination

NRW125,

Hope you get well soon.

Bad assumption that everyone here is a donor to cyberpump. Wannagrip knows better, but I am estimating far LESS than 3%.

i've never cared too much for money. my family was never rich by any means, but we also had it much easier than many people. my parents worked hard for everything they have. i don't know if i could handle just "getting" that much money. i would rather earn what i have, whether it be money or strength. that being said, i voted for the strength.

Rick - I think you are missing something. My oldest brother has more money than he and his family could possibly ever need/want/spend. The thing is, his JOB and his empire are his PASSION. It is not that he is not persuing his passions it is that his passions are different than yours/mine. A differnt focus of the same disease, obsession.

Mike M.

Roark,

Doing great! Started lifting again last week but I'm still holding off on squats and dl's because the hip can't handle it yet. I've got no right to complain, there's people out there far worse off.

Train Hard,

Nick

Rick, and everyone else too,

I've had my share of troubles too, and all we can do is accept it and drive on! I've had an ACL reconstructed, the full slice, a shoulder reconstructed, the full slice, and I'm still in rehab after a skydiving accident left me with about 20 fractures and collapsed lungs (no shit, really. All of this in the last 2 years). I submitted an article to wannagrip the other day, and I think I did a poor job of paraphrasing a quote a read on the cyberpump site ( I assume everyone here's a member). I'll give it a better shot this time. Anyway, it goes something like this, " In my mind, it takes extreme audacity to bemoan one's health, no matter how bad you think your lot is, when people suffer from paralysis, palsy, or other neuromuscular disorders. Every day that finds you alive is a blessing, AND A CHANCE TO TRAIN.

Happy Easter, and Semper Fi :rock ,

Nick

Thanks for the submission Nick. It's definitely in queue to go up on the site this week.

I would rather be poor and alive than wealthy and dead.

I believe that limits are adjustable. The pursuit of achieving

a goal is as satisfying to me as is the realization of that goal.

Then I set new goals. I would take the 10 million and provide

for my family. What could be more satisfying than that?

I agree with Supersqueeze - for some people the pursuit of the money/material things is the passion. Not better or worse, just different.

Personally I take the strength, but that is just me.