Pda Gripper Identity?

EricMilfeld

I've heard the spring wire size is stamped on the bottom of these grippers, but based on its calibration of 155 pounds I don't think that's the case with this gripper. On one handle is stamped: PDA 0502. On the other: 185 CRC. Does anyone know the meaning of the numbers and the "CRC"? It looks just like a Tetting gripper, by the way. I guess that's typical?

Don't know about the rest, but from what I remember, "CRC" would be the original owner's initials.

Makes perfect sense! I got the gripper from Chris Caffery.

I wonder if the 502 is John's calibration #? Some of them were crazy high since his numbers were in/lbs taken from the center of the handle.

I wonder if the 502 is John's calibration #? Some of them were crazy high since his numbers were in/lbs taken from the center of the handle.

I was wondering the same. Didn't he calibrate the Phantom 3 or some such gripper at over 600? Of course it could just be the date (May 2002)...

I was wondering the same. Didn't he calibrate the Phantom 3 or some such gripper at over 600? Of course it could just be the date (May 2002)...

Yeah, 621 in/lbs

David, thanks for the info.

Interesting topic here on PDA grippers!

What does PDA stand for? Piedmont Design maybe?

Yeah, 621 in/lbs

David, thanks for the info.

I find it odd how the 621in/lb Silver #4 only came to 186lb RGC - but a 228 RGC gripper comes only to 580in/lbs?

Edited by David Ross

Thanks a bunch, David. So the only remaining mystery is what the "185" stands for...

PDA had a fairly short lived life in grip but they produced some interesting equipment. I owned a Blobbett -Shot loadable blob replica and still own a Pegasus wrist strengthener. The gripper I had was not all that impressive in quality compared to say a Robert Baraban Gripper which I had many of later on.

Straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak:

http://web.archive.org/web/20031221001858/http://www.fractionalplates.com/cgibin/edatcat/PDAstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=9.15

Imprint

: All emerging

SOS

Ô

TSGs are uniquely stamped with 'PDA', 'the wire size', 'a date code', and up to three owner initials to identify source, ownership, and to prevent less stringently fabricated grippers from being confused with ours.

What's interesting is that the 185 doesn't seem to fit in with any of the wire sizes that were used:

Gripper

Wire

PDA Measured

MTR

Spring Manufacturers Institute

Spring Manufacturers Institute

Model

Diameter

I-P Range

I-P Rating

I-P Rating Material/ ASTM Desig.

ETSS T

0.225"

120-154

Music Wire/A228

ETSS 1

0.235-0.243"

166-254

Music Wire/A228

SOS 243

0.243"

-

-

Music Wire/A228

ETSS 2

0.250-0.265"

263-316

Music Wire/A228

SOS 262

0.262"

-

-

Music Wire/A228

SOS 280

0.281"

-

-

-

Music Wire/A228

ETSS 3

0.282-0.294"

292-539

Music Wire/A228

up to 283 - over 283/A401or A231

SOS 295

0.295"

-

-

Chrome Silicon/A401

ETSS 4

0.310-0.315"

487-621

Chrome Vanadium/A231

Table Legend: I-P = Inch-Pounds, MTR = Manufacturer's Theoretical Rating, Desig. = Designation

edited to add: sorry about the formatting mess, the table and quotes looked OK when I was cutting and pasting them before it posted :blush

Edited by bdckr

Thank you, bdckr. I guess it remains a mystery. The spring size looks to be that of a #3, by the way.

I am suprised John Szimanski isn't discussed more, the guy was very innovative.

I'm assuming John was the owner of PDA?

I've heard the spring wire size is stamped on the bottom of these grippers, but based on its calibration of 155 pounds I don't think that's the case with this gripper. On one handle is stamped: PDA 0502. On the other: 185 CRC. Does anyone know the meaning of the numbers and the "CRC"? It looks just like a Tetting gripper, by the way. I guess that's typical?

I have had two PDA grippers, both acquired in trades from the same person. I traded one of them back to the fellow.

My understanding is that PDA had two grippers: PDA243 and PDA262. Both of these referred to "wire size". In JS's long dissertations that were on his website, the intent of these two grippers was to fall exactly between the 1 and the 2 for the PDA243, and between the 2 and the 3 for PDA262.

Originally I had the 262, but because the fellow's own initials were on it, he wanted it back so I got a 243 with someone else's initials on it. Both of the grippers had the identical style. The one I have now has "PDA 243" on one handle, which identifies the type of gripper it is, and "105 RVC" on the other handle, which means he shipped it to Ronnie Castro in January 2005 (I did not get the gripper from Ronnie, the fellow who I got it from acquired it from him). The PDA 262 that I had also had the identical method on the handles: One handle indicating the type of gripper it was, and the other handle identifying who it was for and when it was sold.

That being said, the numbers on your handles are not stamped in the same pattern that the two I have (had) were.

I guess some PDAs had pins and some didn't.

PDA had gen 2 and gen 3 without pins. i own a pda 262 gen 3. pics of gen 2 and 3 are seen in Brett H gallery on this board.My Pda was bought from him i believe many years ago now.

I have had two PDA grippers, both acquired in trades from the same person. I traded one of them back to the fellow.

My understanding is that PDA had two grippers: PDA243 and PDA262. Both of these referred to "wire size". In JS's long dissertations that were on his website, the intent of these two grippers was to fall exactly between the 1 and the 2 for the PDA243, and between the 2 and the 3 for PDA262.

Originally I had the 262, but because the fellow's own initials were on it, he wanted it back so I got a 243 with someone else's initials on it. Both of the grippers had the identical style. The one I have now has "PDA 243" on one handle, which identifies the type of gripper it is, and "105 RVC" on the other handle, which means he shipped it to Ronnie Castro in January 2005 (I did not get the gripper from Ronnie, the fellow who I got it from acquired it from him). The PDA 262 that I had also had the identical method on the handles: One handle indicating the type of gripper it was, and the other handle identifying who it was for and when it was sold.

That being said, the numbers on your handles are not stamped in the same pattern that the two I have (had) were.

I believe that was my PDA 262 Hubgeezer! That particular gripper was what PDA called their Generation III handled gripper. I bought mine direct from John Szimanski which had my initials BAH on it. I remember speaking with John on a few occasions and He stated he was about done with grippers at this time because "They weren't worth his time as they just didn't make as much money as his larger items." Therefore at that time all he produced was the Generation III PDA 243 and Generation III PDA 262. He already had a bulk quantity of handles made (which I remember used to be pictured on the website) and when those were gone, the grippers were no longer available. These handles have a very soft knurl and a very pronounced bevel on the handle end. You can see a picture of the PDA 243 in my gallery (the pictures are not great. I plan on updating my gallery which some better pictures after we complete our move to Florida; more sunlight will surely help). Most everything others have stated here is correct. PDA does stand for Piedmont Design Associates. I believe that the 243 is in fact the wire diameter although I am not 100% on that. The letters on the other handle are the chosen initials (up to three) and the date is actually not when the gripper was shipped but rather when the handles were produced. The reason I say this is because I actually still have my original receipt of my PDA. The purchase was made in Feb. 2005, however my handle is stamped 804 (three digits August 2004). Also from the numerous PDA's I have seen the stamping can be somewhat inconsistent. Initials and/or dates are sometimes stamped and re-stamped. Some dates are three digits while other are four digits.

I also have a couple of Generation II handled PDA 243's which I will have the same stamping pattern (these are also in my gallery). My memory is foggy on the Generation I handles. These are the handles that look like Tetting grippers. The knurling is very much the same and they are pinned as well. My memory on these is that they had something a little different in the stamping, like a calibration rating but I could be totally mistaken on this.

Out of pure coincidence I may be able to safely say that the Generation II grippers were first produced in August 2004 (the handles at least). The coincidence is that one of my Generation II PDA 243's is dated 804; the same date as the generation III 243 that I mentioned above. The initials are RHH (stamped and re-stamped. don't know who that was). My other Generation II is dated 0504 (four digits as opposed to three May 2004) with ODG initials (I can't remember who this was). All other Generation II handles I have seen are prior to August 2004. I hope some of this helps.

I believe that was my PDA 262 Hubgeezer! That particular gripper was what PDA called their Generation III handled gripper. I bought mine direct from John Szimanski which had my initials BAH on it. I remember speaking with John on a few occasions and He stated he was about done with grippers at this time because "They weren't worth his time as they just didn't make as much money as his larger items." Therefore at that time all he produced was the Generation III PDA 243 and Generation III PDA 262. He already had a bulk quantity of handles made (which I remember used to be pictured on the website) and when those were gone, the grippers were no longer available. These handles have a very soft knurl and a very pronounced bevel on the handle end. You can see a picture of the PDA 243 in my gallery (the pictures are not great. I plan on updating my gallery which some better pictures after we complete our move to Florida; more sunlight will surely help). Most everything others have stated here is correct. PDA does stand for Piedmont Design Associates. I believe that the 243 is in fact the wire diameter although I am not 100% on that. The letters on the other handle are the chosen initials (up to three) and the date is actually not when the gripper was shipped but rather when the handles were produced. The reason I say this is because I actually still have my original receipt of my PDA. The purchase was made in Feb. 2005, however my handle is stamped 804 (three digits August 2004). Also from the numerous PDA's I have seen the stamping can be somewhat inconsistent. Initials and/or dates are sometimes stamped and re-stamped. Some dates are three digits while other are four digits.

I also have a couple of Generation II handled PDA 243's which I will have the same stamping pattern (these are also in my gallery). My memory is foggy on the Generation I handles. These are the handles that look like Tetting grippers. The knurling is very much the same and they are pinned as well. My memory on these is that they had something a little different in the stamping, like a calibration rating but I could be totally mistaken on this.

Out of pure coincidence I may be able to safely say that the Generation II grippers were first produced in August 2004 (the handles at least). The coincidence is that one of my Generation II PDA 243's is dated 804; the same date as the generation III 243 that I mentioned above. The initials are RHH (stamped and re-stamped. don't know who that was). My other Generation II is dated 0504 (four digits as opposed to three May 2004) with ODG initials (I can't remember who this was). All other Generation II handles I have seen are prior to August 2004. I hope some of this helps.

GREAT info here Brett!!!

Thanks to you and the others for their valuable input on these grippers!

GREAT info here Brett!!!

Thanks to you and the others for their valuable input on these grippers!

No problem Joe, glad I could help. I forgot to add that the Generation I PDA's had many more sizes than the Generation II and III's. i used to have a PDA 295 as well as a PDA 282 if I am remembering correctly. I believe there was also a variation on the 282 maybe a Heavy Duty or something like that?

One other thing to add; the receipt I have is printed on the back of a PDA SOS gripper sheet which offers some details about the grippers and their design. It even ends with a plug for Bill's KTA program. It people were interested I could scan this sheet for you all.

• Like 1