Avoiding 2hp Thumb Tears

Mephistopholes

Pretty much every time I do the 2HP, I get a thumb webbing tear on my right hand. Sometimes they're not so bad, and I can keep lifting, other times they're deep amd bloody and I have to stop right then, which sucks because that sets me back in terms of progress...

So, what I'm wondering is, is there a trick to this? Any tips/suggestions on avoiding these tears?

There can be several factors at play but generally you're using a setup that is too wide for you or you're rolling your hands over too much towards your thumbs. The next thing to do is to "take the slack" out of your skin before really pulling. There is a thread somewhere that talks about the "how" behind 2 HP where Jedd - I - and I think Brent discuss technique that you might find helpful here.

• 2 weeks later...

Wear leather gloves, your weights will be lower, you'll still be able to train without a tear.

You're using 2 45s for 2HP, correct?

Maybe do 1 45 and a thin wooden block so you have less width to span.

I often train with my wooden pinch block. It's the same width I prefer on Euro, but I've bullnosed the thumb side, and as a result I never tear. I even rounded the top of it to match the Euro's curvature.

Do you get it on both hands or only one? I have noticed I only get it on my right hand and I'm positive its a technique issue + my skin just has not toughen up in his area since its new to me. I was tearing skin on my fingers bending when I first did it but that has gotten better as I've done it more often. I think its something you adapt too.

The saxon bar seems very interesting to me if it can help avoid tears and pain doing a two hand pinch lift. It might gain popularity as a two hand pinch event.

I haven't torn in a few years now. The correct width (for me), the correct technique (for me), rounded edges on my apparatus, and not training too often. I stand by what I have written before on here - it's a learning process that only you can do.

It's only ever on my right hand. I think it's a number of factors, which have all been mentioned:

-technique

-skin just not tough enough yet

-width

-and the sharp edges of the York plates...

In my mind, it seems like that Saxon bar would be easier on the hands, as the corners look a little more rounded.... It's a frustrating thing for me, because I know I have the strength to pull more on the 2HP, I can feel it, but Any time I put weight on there it just cuts me open.

Another issue here that is probably working against me is I have pretty pronounced webbing between my fingers. So there is more skin to get in the way, and that means more to get cut.

Not sure if this is your issue, but mine was when I brought the weight back down to the floor. Now I just drop the Euro about 1" before the floor and have avoided nearly all tears. Obviously you wouldn't do this in a comp, but for training I found it to work for me and my volume.

Yeah I'm not really sure "when" the tear actually happens... I always figured it was on the way up, when the slack in my thumb webbing gets let out. But maybe it is on the way down...

Yeah I'm not really sure "when" the tear actually happens... I always figured it was on the way up, when the slack in my thumb webbing gets let out. But maybe it is on the way down...

I normally don't tear, but when the weight starts to slip or I lose it altogether is when my skin takes a beating. I would think the same could apply to tearing. I go out of my way not to miss pinch attempts in training. Also, when my thumbs start getting rough and hard it detracts from my ability to get good friction on the apparatus.