"proper" Rolling Thunder Technique

Mephistopholes

Frankly I'm embarrassed to be asking this, because It seems like suchhh a noob question, but I'll ask anyway...

So, with the rolling thunder lift, is there a "proper" way to position the handle during the lift? I ask because Ive always just assumed you position it as if you were deadlifting a normal bar, with the imaginary bar crossing your feet, but lately I've been watching videos of guys doing the lift with the handle positioned 90 degrees from that, with the imaginary bar going between their legs...

Is one form considered correct or official,or are they both fair game? And Is one better (i.e. Allows for heavier weight to be pulled) than the other? Or does it even matter?

or am I just worrying about something that isn't even an issue? Haha

Thanks

I believe the rule was you can't tilt the handle and you must grab the center and come to lockout and not use your other hand to brace against your leg. Other then that its preference I think. My sister is much worse with the 90 degree version version then straight version. I've seen both ways done in contests so I think its just what ever feels comfortable for you. I could be wrong though. The difference is not huge for me either way I feel little more space with 90 degree version. It feels like it wants to ride against my leg with the straight version which is illegal also to hold it against your leg I believe.

Edited by Stephen Ruby

Yeah I figure it's just a matter of preference, but I just want to make sure. Honestly, it has never occurred to me to try the 90 degree angled version. Haha. Maybe I'll try that next time...

Seems like it might be a little easier to get your wrist into it with the 90 degree pull.

Yeah I figure it's just a matter of preference, but I just want to make sure. Honestly, it has never occurred to me to try the 90 degree angled version. Haha. Maybe I'll try that next time...

Seems like it might be a little easier to get your wrist into it with the 90 degree pull.

I did it when I saw mark felix lifting on youtube, definitely try out various stances and hand positions to see what works for you. Grip is a big experimenting game I think, takes a while to feel what works for you.

mark-felix-146.75_lg.jpg

If ironmind is fine with you doing it I"m sure its ok.

Edited by Stephen Ruby

Yeah I've seen him do it too...

I figured out a while ago that the best stance for me is real wide, that way I'm forced to really get my hips and legs into the lift, making it feel a lot more stable than if I'm just lifting it with my back, which is what happens with a narrow stance.

Anyway, I'll have to try the 90 degree hand position next time. I was just worried that I'd somehow been doing it "wrong" this whole time. Haha

Test it out and don't be surprised if each hand has its own preference. I like the handle closer to 45 degrees with a straight left arm and bent elbow on right arm. No better way to find out than a few tests.

• Like 1

Yeah it's funny you mention that, I've found when Doing the anvil horn lift, my left arm really likes to bend a bit at the elbow, and for the hub, both arms goes best a little bent.

frankly, i stopped bending at the elbow due to fears tearing my bicep on the lift... i've had tears in the past i think its best to keep the arm as straight as possible, sink the hips and lean back... take the biceps out of the equation

Guest Squat More

If you trained more volume and not all max or near max singles each time you used the RT, you wouldn't have to fear bicep problems so much. You don't max out every single time you do the bench press, squat, or deadlift do you? Same way it should be for the rolling thunder. 100#, 150# or 200#, if you build your strength up the right way the weight won't make much of an issue on your bicep, train the movement and slowly become accustom to volume and workload, same as with any lift.

• Like 2

frankly, i stopped bending at the elbow due to fears tearing my bicep on the lift... i've had tears in the past i think its best to keep the arm as straight as possible, sink the hips and lean back... take the biceps out of the equation

everyone's of course different when it comes to lifting but here's something to think about.

If you trained more volume and not all max or near max singles each time you used the RT, you wouldn't have to fear bicep problems so much. You don't max out every single time you do the bench press, squat, or deadlift do you? Same way it should be for the rolling thunder. 100#, 150# or 200#, if you build your strength up the right way the weight won't make much of an issue on your bicep, train the movement and slowly become accustom to volume and workload, same as with any lift.

its not that i am afraid of bicep tearing from the lift in general... just from a bent elbow position... lets face it.. even 100 (light on the RT) is wayyy beyond most people's ability to curl, so just like if you have less than perfect form on a mixed grip deadlift... the strain on the bicep from any weight over 100 pounds could potentially cause a tendon avulsion

this is not me chiding the experienced guys like you and daniel... but more for the newer guys whose tendons may not be ready for this kind of strain :) so from my own personal perspective, i leave the arm straight and lean back with the weight

Well I appreciate the advice, but you know, leaning back with it isn't too good for your lower back.

Nice. Yeah I saw you mention the high rep stuff somewhere else on here. Im still all about the low rep sets, but sometimes I'll load it up with a lighter weight like that and carry it for distance, which probably has a similar effect.

Guest Squat More

its not that i am afraid of bicep tearing from the lift in general... just from a bent elbow position... lets face it.. even 100 (light on the RT) is wayyy beyond most people's ability to curl, so just like if you have less than perfect form on a mixed grip deadlift... the strain on the bicep from any weight over 100 pounds could potentially cause a tendon avulsion

this is not me chiding the experienced guys like you and daniel... but more for the newer guys whose tendons may not be ready for this kind of strain :) so from my own personal perspective, i leave the arm straight and lean back with the weight

I wouldn't say I am experienced, I have never spent more than a handful of months training on anything in the past. Only recently have I become focused on long term training and goals, and sticking with things. In the past, I wanted to do too much, got ahead of myself, frustrated, and would lose interest in things. All part of growing up, I think.

My point is, experienced guys become experienced from experimenting, finding what works for them, and sticking with it. Start with a lighter weight, work reps, your biceps will be better, personally it is harder for me to pull on the RT with a straight arm, with a slightly bent arm, it is easier, so I train reps with what feels good and comfortable, volume equates to strength in maxes, if trained properly - it also works the connective tissues, which for grip is far more important than muscle.

And no Mephistopholes, it most certainly isn't the same, as I said earlier in this post: train the movement and let the body become accustom to volume. It is my opinion that if you want to get strong on the rolling thunder, high rep sets are the key, almost every single person who is a big rolling thunder puller that has discussed their training with the implement has suggested high rep sets. Laine Snook and Steve Gardener for example. My training is very closely modeled after Laine's suggested program. I made tweaks to benefit how I know my body responds to training, but the basis is the same: At least one set of 10 or more reps. The video I posted was today, I had someone with me who was able to work a camera so I got a video. This was after pulling heavy singles with the RT and failing on 185. Oh well, I still added 30+ pounds to my one rep max training this way over 6 weeks.

Go find a natural person who maxes out on every single deadlift session never working the movement or any volume, then go find a person who progressively works on reps of varying ranges with different weights and find out who does better long term.

Edited by Squat More

I know what works for me, and it isn't 10 rep sets. Sounds like you made some gains on them, that's great, see how long you can ride that.

I disagree with just about everything you've typed, but hey, I'm not going to argue with you over it. To each his own.

Guest Squat More

How do you know if something does or does not work for you, if you have not tried it? :huh:

See, I used to think like that, then I put my ego in check, swallowed my pride and started with lighter weight and I have been making gains, in reps and singles.

One technique I've employed lately is a cheating method. I will load the RT up around 245 and set my grip. Then I lift it from the floor with my off hand to help and then let go. Im able to hold on for a spit second before it rips my hand open. Try this as a finisher for one set to failure.

Another method I use is training from top to bottom. I will set plates underneath the loaded loading pin to where I pull it off the floor maybe an inch and its locked out. Every week, remove a plate until its on the floor. I've found I can use 25 more pounds than my 1RM doing this. Great way to get used to heavier weights!

Ive tried it, that's why im disagreeing. High rep anything is not my thing, I make few gains and plateau easily. Low reps, however, allow me to keep steady.

Gm1swm: sounds like negatives... Wasn't Reinard using something like that recently to get the Inch? Ive done that occasionally just messing with plate pinching, but Maybe I'll try it with the RT.

Anyway, Squatmore, if it works for you, keep doing it. It just does not work for me.

I think the best way to hold the handle like you are when you deadlift. With the knuckles straight out from the body. It is easier for the judge to se if you hold the handle in the center. I see to much cheating when it comes to the rolling thunder. Some people holds it on the non revolving part...

Well that's how ive always held it, but last week I tried it the 90 degree way and found it to be easier, I think because I could get more of my wrist into it. I was holding it centered and balanced, but that way I was able to keep my hand under it better.