Grip Machine

OldGuy

Nice find!

Looks to work a little like a HAMMER strength gripper but different angle handles AND because of that lever you probably won't need to add 12 plates to it like the HAMMER machine? :D

Very cool....doesn't look like it would be hard to build?

Looks like a good design, but why the wide handles? And knurling would be better than what looks like rubber. Actually, looking at it closely, it seems like the weight would rest at the bottom and the handles would be a foot apart!?

OldGuy,

That's the one I was talking about!!! :yikes Do you want one? I could get you one cheap.... just ask me. ;)

Tom, I guess that it does not go all the way down. If it did it would be awkward to use. Other Tom. Yes it would be easy to build. Sybersnott are you talking about the same machine or a copy? Tell me more.

This is the same design as the old Nautilis grip machine. The handles spread way apart and you won't be able to grab them. You have to have someone pick up the weighted end so you can grip it. I personally wouldn't recommend this machine. If you do use it, I've found that an it is best to use an underhanded grip with your weight forward to prevent cheating (like a wrist curl).

I've used various grip machines and I must say "save your $ and buy a Gripinator!"

There is no better machine to work the crush aspect of your grip.

I finally bought a Gripinator after drooling over them for a year. I gotta say this expensive piece of equipment is worth every penney. :rock

If you are looking to improve your crush, this is absolutely the best tool for the job. :cool:mosher:mosher

Thank you PDA. :bow

-HH

Guest chris969

Where did you buy the "Gripinator"? is it like this machine:

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/9165.html

If not, how good do you think this one is? I was thinking of buying one like this. I looked at a lot of sites before I found this one. What do think about this one? I am interested in increasing my grip and crushing strength as I am not very strong right now and am looking for advice from those who have had success. Thanks.

chris969-

The grip machine you found is a old and proven design. It is also reasonably priced. I know that Sybersnott has recommended this machine..

If you are interested in the Gripinator go onto PDA's website and read all about it. Also, do a search on the gripboard to find out more about it. The Gripinator is expensive. I would only recomend it if you are passionate about your hand strength.

-HH

Definitely save your money and buy the Gripinator with the BTR handle ("beyond the range"). If you are on a tight budget I would get the Ivanko Supergripper to train on.

chris969,

Yes, I do recommend the grip machine from New York Barbells.... get it! :D It was the first grip machine I ever bought, and it is perfect for the beginning grip trainer. Once you get it, load it up as much as possible and do negatives. Oh, the pain! :whacked Don't you just love grip training?? :laugh

OldGuy,

Yes, that is the machine - exactly like it. Are ya still interested??.... just let me know.

What is the difference between doing negatives with a grip machine and the secret weapon?

Which are the negative routines that you are doing?

Simone

Simon,

Very good questions! O.K., now the answers:

The SW simulates a gripper. The NYB grip machine is your basic no-frills heavy hands grip trainer.

The SW is a one-handed machine. On the NYB machine you can use both hands.

You can load up the SW as heavy as you want. The NYB grip machine is plate-loaded, about 150 pounds recommended (and really, that's all it WILL fit!).

The NYB machine is also VERY affordable, unlike the SW. That's why I like and recommend the NYB machine for beginners. Also, on the NYB machine you can do reps with both hands, and once you build up some strength, one-handed holds! :yikes