How Many Of You Guys Believe Will Ever Close Coc#4 ?

LebaneseChampion

4 hours ago, climber511 said:

Grippers are a "skill" as much as a strength feat and setting strength and skill are at least as important as raw horse power.  Back when I had grippers choked to parallel at The Gripmas Carol I closed a 192.8# gripper two years in a row and later a #4 of Heath's rated at 195# - and yet my best mms and block set closes were 156#.  But I freely admit I never trained grippers and my "setting" was the cause of much laughter over the years.  Don't know what that might actually mean as to my "potential" but my "stupid" strength far outpaced my skill.  And both outpaced my interest!

I closed a #2 first time I saw one and probably could have closed an easy 2.5 if they were being made back then.

Wow thats insanely impressive considering your bodyweight and age you started training grip specifically. I guess the climbing obviously had a lot of carryover. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stephen Ruby said:

Wow thats insanely impressive considering your bodyweight and age you started training grip specifically. I guess the climbing obviously had a lot of carryover. 

Thank you - Honestly I think all the construction work had as great an impact as the climbing - but without a doubt the climbing helped a lot.

• Like 1

My work on grippers is based on a MMS. that said my current goal is to close the 3 and I think if I ever close the 3.5 I'll be happy. The 4 seems impossible.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Gripperer said:

Good post. With slightly below average wrist circumference and hand length, I have to be realistic. But by training smart and more importantly, learning to ENJOY the process (which isn't hard, this stuff is fun), I am happy that I can be in the top 2% of "guys just walking down the street."

EDIT: just realised I can like my own posts! I'm onto a winner!

Oh exactly. Just walking around knowing you have a really strong grip is enough for me like you said. I even once heard Mighty Joe Musslewhite mention it could potentially save your life in a self defense situation. We can get some good hypertrophy on the forearms and look impressive as a nice bi product of the sport. Plus the community is awesome and supportive. Could ramble on forever about how much I love grip 😁

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Not sure if I ever will close a 4…seems more like a dream now not really a goal..yet. I’ve closed a 3 mms after 2 months of training specifically (having 3 years of strongman experience definitely helps). Currently I’m training towards ccs’ing a 3. Point being I remember trying to close the 3 for the very first time and it felt absolutely impossible. Kindda how I feel about the 4 right now lol. But I’m sure with more years of training and once I get to that level I’ll eventually be able to move the 4 and maybe even close it who knows

That being said, would closing a choked 4 from 20mm be considered a world class feat of strength? Obviously it won’t be as impressive as setting there yourself but some people are never going to be able to set a 4…

On 4/10/2023 at 11:43 PM, climber511 said:

Thank you - Honestly I think all the construction work had as great an impact as the climbing - but without a doubt the climbing helped a lot.

Thats funny you think that. I honestly thing construction hurts me more than it helps. I think initially it benefitted me, tougher skin, stronger tendons and gave me a good base.  I guess it depends on what you do. If I did masonry full time or concrete work full time i'm sure my pinch would be unbelievable. I do a little of everything. 

But as far as training goes.  Its hard to be super consistent id like to be. 

I don't think i could ever close the 4. But if it was a goal of mine and maybe it will be someday. I would't let that stop me. Id put it in my head I could and go from there.

3 hours ago, studman123 said:

would closing a choked 4 from 20mm be considered a world class feat of strength? Obviously it won’t be as impressive as setting there yourself but some people are never going to be able to set a 4…

I don't know, but I was interested to see that Chris closed a choked-to-parallel 4 rated 195 but not more than 156 setting it and passing a block through.  My best 20mm block set close is 165, and my best rgc choked-to-parallel close is ... 165.  Granted, my attempt at the choked close was not at the same time and I might have gotten more because maybe I was a little stronger when I block set the 165, but I was block set closing around 155 when I barely got a double with the chokered 165.  Absolutely no way I could close anywhere NEAR 190 even choked.

I might be pretty good at setting though (weird to say, because I resisted learning how to set for so long).  That might make my MMS and block set close limits closer to my choked close limit.  For example, I can silver bullet a 4 without using my legs to set it, so I've got it at parallel at that point - and I can hold the bullet for a few, but I can't get the handles much closer together than that without the bullet between them!

Edited by Vinnie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

If you believe you won't. Then I can tell you for sure you will never do it.

I’m in this boat. I believe I never could. 

I think the choker allowed me to get the gripper into the absolute best position in my hand without all the time and effort I needed to "set" it.  My set is terrible and I never was interested in training it.  I closed a 191.8# two years in a row at Gripmas so horsepower wasn't the problem.

• Like 2

I definitely have closing the #4 on my mind some day. I've gone from closing a ~100 RGC #2 to a 149 #3 in the past 6 months. A lot of that has been beginner gains and getting better at setting. Still, I don't think it's impossible I could get an easy 4 in a few years from a MMS/narrow choke. I get a lot stronger even week to week.

• Like 2

At my current rate of progression i've possibly got it before the end of the year if i stay healthy and don't get injured

• Like 3

I am training in the shadows 🥷 progressing really well in silence right now. A while back the 4 seemed impossible, now I do believe I will get it eventually. Might take a year or more, who knows. I plan on staying consistent and training grip 😉

• Like 3