Thick Bar Leverage Curls

Guest Squat More

Guest Squat More

Has anyone ever used these before in their training? I was thinking about these after reading an older article by Adam Glass on plate curls and using a leverage curl block he got from Stronger Grip, I have a leverage curl pinch block that FBBC made me a few years ago and have recently been using it a bit to help my wrist strength in Rolling Thunder lifting. I thought to myself yesterday that if the leverage curl pinch block works so well maybe a thickbar leverage curl implement would do even more for the wrist and thumb in thick bar lifts so I searched the internet and found something similar to what I had in my head on an arm wrestling website but they didn't ship to Canada, so...

I made this today on the lathe out of heavy maple, squeezer clamps, and some 2" steel screws with a piece for the loading pin off my power rack (it came with 8 of these for bands, I never use all of them so it won't be missed). I only tried it out with a 5# plate but it hits the wrist pretty well, I made the handle diameter a shade under 2.5" thick, it is pretty solid with the screws and the glue and clamps I used.

486377_154331168064949_612353586_n.jpg

Has anyone ever used something like this?

• Like 2

Guest Squat More

I don't think that it would tear the skin, but I just made it today so I can't really say. The thing is very smooth, the handle was made on a lathe then sanded down for a good bit.

I love the ingenuity of this device-Good Training!

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone ever used these before in their training? I was thinking about these after reading an older article by Adam Glass on plate curls and using a leverage curl block he got from Stronger Grip, I have a leverage curl pinch block that FBBC made me a few years ago and have recently been using it a bit to help my wrist strength in Rolling Thunder lifting. I thought to myself yesterday that if the leverage curl pinch block works so well maybe a thickbar leverage curl implement would do even more for the wrist and thumb in thick bar lifts so I searched the internet and found something similar to what I had in my head on an arm wrestling website but they didn't ship to Canada, so...

I made this today on the lathe out of heavy maple, squeezer clamps, and some 2" steel screws with a piece for the loading pin off my power rack (it came with 8 of these for bands, I never use all of them so it won't be missed). I only tried it out with a 5# plate but it hits the wrist pretty well, I made the handle diameter a shade under 2.5" thick, it is pretty solid with the screws and the glue and clamps I used.

486377_154331168064949_612353586_n.jpg

Has anyone ever used something like this?

Nice job on the handle. I do the pinch block leverage curls on the Red Rafter model that Ryan Pitts sells. Great for thumb and wrist strength, no matter the sets and reps you choose to use.

I'm wuvin' those gold Reeboks.

Guest Squat More

They're actually my cousin/training partners Do-Win oly shoes that he squats in, but I am sure he would appreciate the envy none the less. :D

Are you doing the same movement pattern with this that you are with the leverage block from stronger grip? If so I would imagine this would be ridiculously harder

Guest Squat More

Yeah, I just grab the handle like I would an axle or rolling thunder, keep my wrist in the same place and do bicep curls. I have been using it light to begin, squeezing the hell out of the handle and I have really felt it in my wrist, forearm and my elbows feel better lately.

Edited by Squat More

This looks cool, but I'm sorry, im not sure I quite understand how you use it... Could you post a video?

Guest Squat More

Like this, except it is a thickbar hold and not a plate pinch curl. The bar that the weight is loaded on creates leverage the further any amount of weight is from the handle, like levering a hammer, curling a plate, or using a leverage pinch block like Adam is in the video.

Oooh okay. Yeah that's what i thought, but just wanted to be sure. That's pretty cool!

Your getting creative, good for you bro! Make yourself a wooden 2hp like I did and you'll be set .

Squat More, just wanted to thank you for posting this ingenious little device. i was looking through brookfields book and came across him doing wrist curls with a kettlebell. it made me think of this post you made and so ive decided to buy a reasonable priced adjustable kettlebell to do bicep curls with.

here it is for anyone interested.:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chrome-Steel-Adjustable-Kettlebell-Home-Strength-Training-Weight-Plates-Bar-1-/121093074208?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D7047539632918463494%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D121093074208%26

Not to take away anything from the training tool you made, i think what you have is more beneficial due to the added leverage. just posting for anyone else like myself who doesnt have the materials to make their own. i was thinking of adding Fat Gripz or my Ironbull 2.0 grips for the extra grip. i may even use towels.

Just wanna say thanks again for sharing your ideas.