Warm-up Exercising Before Gripping Workout

Guest wells

Guest wells

I jump rope almost every morning for twenty to twenty-five minutes.

Two weeks ago I decided to do my 'scheduled' grip/forearm workouts immediately after my jump roping and cool down stretching routine. I have noticed a considerable difference in my gripping power. I am closing more reps on my CoC #2 now and I am really grinding the hell out of my CoC #1. Even my forearms are blasting away with improved strength.

Before I would just warm-up with some chi-kung exercises and then some lightweight sets with a hammer leverage bar or wrist roller. Alternatively, if time were a factor I would just squeeze and flex my hands for five to ten minutes and then place them under hot running water for two to three minutes.

Anyone else see similar results with their grip/forearm workouts after heavy cardio work?

:unsure

Try doing weight training first.

It's more of a body warmup thing than specific to cardio.

It's also pretty much common knowledge. At least it should be by now on this board. :)

Guest wells

Always knew about the 'pump up' effect of weight training. Always did well with my forearm training right after weighted dips and weighted chins.

But I can't do weight training anymore due to a severe lower back injury.

I was just a little surprised that a 'cardio workout' before would have that much of an effect on my gripping strength, that's all... Sorry to bring up 'common knowledge' or an old topic. :sleep:whistel

Edited by wells

Wells,

Can you describe the chi kung exercises you had done for warmups previously?

One of these days I'm going to get around to learning some tai chi.

Jon@han

Guest wells

Jonathan:

I practice a mixture of ‘Soft’ and ‘Hard’ Chi-Kung (also known as Qi Gong, Chi Gong) acquired from my training in Nan Quan. My master incorporated quite a bit of Chi-Kung methods from Pa Gua (Ba Gua, Ba Kua, Pa Kua Chang), San Shou (Sanda), and T’ai Chi Ch’uan (Taijiquan) into my training.

The term "soft chi-kung" usually refers to exercises which enhance one spiritually, mentally, and physically with meditation and soft and relaxed movements combined with deep, complete and relaxed breathing. "Hard chi-kung" typically refers to exercises done in martial arts to strengthen and protect the body from vicious blows and to build cardio/muscular stamina, strength, and endurance and hence is known as ‘Martial Chi-Kung’.

Chi-Kung is actually a specific example of a larger catagory of exercises called Nui Kung (Nei Gong/Kung). Nui Kung encompasses a large variety of practices including standing, seated, moving, static and even dreaming exercises; many styles and variations exist.

I like to mix a bit of the breathing warm up exercises with the more ‘Martial’ forms of Chi-Kung. ‘Pumping up’ with ‘hard’ Chi-Kung involves an arrangement of isometric and plyometric type exercises involving both static and dynamic movement while tensing particular or all muscle groups. I even incorporate a bit of ‘hard chi-kung’ while I jump rope via isometric tensioning eg: abs, pecs, deltoids, biceps, forearms, etc.). Favorite exercise: 'Whisking Arms' with isometirc tensioning.

Here is an interesting link…

http://www.liverpooltaichi.mersinet.co.uk/...ungExercise.doc

but the best way to pick up chi-kung is to go to a T’ai Chi/Pa Gua class or buy a book specifically on Chi-Kung.

What ever happened to doing 50 reps on a walmart gripper to warm up ???

:D:D:D

Thanks for the info Wells, my computer is crusty so I don't know if I'll be able to look at your link or not.

3Crusher, I finally caught on to this after resisting this style of training initially. I had been doing my gripper training on separate days from my weight training but now I do my crushes inbetween my barbell sets. Better then sitting around puffing.

Jon@han