never tried to lift one in each hand at the same

time. He mentioned it was hard enough to lift

one at a time, thank you.

I urged him to try it as soon as he felt like it

(one tends not to be bossy with a man who could

accomplish the impossible and make my neck even

smaller) and he said he would try it one of these

days. Reminding him that no one has yet done

it, I emphacized it would be a nice 'first' for him.

So, hopefully, he will surprise us within a few weeks

with the announcement that he at least tried, and

hopefully that he succeeded.

Guest Luke Reimer

Joe, I shouldn’t have even tried this after my high-volume workout yesterday (thick snatches and cleans); but I just couldn’t resist.  First I warmed up with two 150's, walked over to the kitchen (that’s only a few steps away in my little apartment), walked back and carefully put the weights down. Then I tried 172.5# left and 175# right, but failed. I could bend over, grasp both weights, and stand up with them for a moment, but then I had to quickly follow my left hand back down to the floor or risk dropping the weight.

I’m not sure how close this puts me, since my thick bells are not true Inch replicas. About the only points of similarity are their 2.375 inch handle diameters. My handles are six inches long rather than four; and I have plates, not globes for weights. I seem to recall some time ago someone (Steve Gardner?) saying that it would require going with much more than 172# on a non-authentic replica, before doing the same thing with an authentic one. I don’t remember why this would be the case.

I’m looking forward to trying this walk again on a better day, since my left hand does not usually give me this trouble in the 170# range.   I’m hoping that my longstanding focus on brief, explosive power will not be too much of an impediment. It seems to me that once you could stand up with the weight, if you weren’t already starting to lose your grip at that point (as I was in the left) you could take some of the burden off your fingers by smearing the weights against your sides (would that still be a farmers walk?)

I would be interested in hearing how some of the others members are getting along with this. Judging from their other verified achievements, I would think this farmers walk would be within the reach of Sorin, Horne, Garnder, and perhaps others even as we speak.

Luke,

Good post; brings up  two interesting points:

1. Richard Sorin also commented that using an

Inch handle is different than using the replica-

a different feel, and easier than the replica. This

is attributed, perhaps, to handle length and weight

distribution, as well as the non-revolving aspect of

a solid bell. Congratulations on what you just did!

It seems unfair somehow to require that two replicas

be used in the attempt, but that would be the most

uniform way of judging the attempts, since they

would be consistent with each other in all aspects

and it would not be necessary to ask handle length

etc.

2. Does the farmer's walk allow touching of the hands

or the weight to the body? I would think that the

touching would be okay, that it would be unreason-

able to require such heavy weights be held  away

from the legs. Having said that, it would also be

needed that the arms be kept straight, and as silly

as that may sound when using the replicas, for lighter

weights one could imagine a situation where the

weights could be lodged against where the upper,

front thigh joins the lower ab area in an almost

supportitive position.

Of course, anyone whose thighs would be small

enough to accomdate such a lodging with the 4"

length of the Inch replica, would not be trying the

lift in the first place.

Thanks, Luke, for trying, and please continue, and

keep us informed. Perhaps you'll be the first to do

it with two handles- sounds like you are just a

couple of seconds away from having done it with

full control.

Your accomplishment also factors in this: When trying

to deadlift only one bell, the free hand is sometimes

placed against the corresponding knee for help. When

two bells are tried, this aid, as you know, disappears.

My guess would be Phil Phister (sp?), Wade Gillingham, Karl Gillingham, and a host of other WSM competitors could probably do it.

Guest Luke Reimer

Wannagrip,

--absolutely.

Joe,

Thanks for the encouragement. After reading your last response, I had to test the possibilities for ‘cheating’ during the walk (If you get any more inspirations I’m sure to be crippled!)

This time my left hand could hardly even crack the 172.5 pounder off the floor, so I had to find away around that by lifting the bells one at a time, allowing my right hand first to help my left up with its bell. In order to get my right hand free without my left instantly dropping its bell, I then gathered the bell overhand against the front of my left thigh (I can still feel the burn!).  Then I freed up my right hand, picked up the 175 pounder, stood mostly up, and anchored my right hand similarly against its thigh. From here I shuffled about ten feet forward (over to the kitchen again). During the shuffle my fingers seemed to get a rest while the weights enjoyed a wobbly ride, back and forth, on the front of my thighs. Once in the kitchen I was able to turn around and come back to where I had started, set my right bell down, and then use my right hand to help my left hand down with its bell. From what I can see, it’s not a question of whether a walk can be done (especially considering candidates much stronger of grip and body than I am), so much as what sort of walk.

Steve Gardner,

Reviewing the first page of this thread, I see that your one handed deads are upto 259 (!) and you are hoping eventually for 300 (!!). What makes this even more impressive is that your handle is thicker than that of the Inch. Would those be right handed lifts? Are your left handed lifts anywhere close to those of your right? If so, it seems to me that if anything could hold you back from a double-barrelled Inch walk, it would not be your hands!  

Another thing I was wondering about, Steve, was your stated resignation toward putting the Inch overhead. I know you've said a press would be out of the question (I totally relate here), but there's still the jerk. Or even a clean by itself would seem to be a breakthrough. Again, your spectacular numbers for the 2.5" deads suggest that your hands would not be the issue here.

There are a number of men able. Who will be

first, and set the length of farmer's walk to beat?

Then to be extra cruel we can require stair climbing

with two of the replicas. (I have an evil streak)

Ok point by point.

Regarding the feel etc of weighted thick handled dumbbells as opposed to Inch replicas etc. Its as much IMO to do with the mass and balance as anything. You'll note that of the two on the board who have or have had access we agree. How come I have pulled 259 and cannot, as yet, pull my 226.

The training for the Inch 'proved' (if thats the right word for me) that I needed to pull 20-30 pounds more than the target dumbbell.

All my lifts are or have been right handed as far as dumbbell work is concerned. However, at the urging of Dave Horne, I do some work with my left as well as my right - pinch lifting one and 2 handed, vertical bar work, partial deads and can shut the number 2 left handed.

Luke that w/o is very hard. You are to be slapped on the back by way of congrats!

Regarding my wanting to put an inch type weight overhead. I think I couold eventually do it but am training (my grip stuff anyway) for the Seni 2002 comp. So its thick handled work, pinch grip, rolling thunder, partial deads, gripper work and vertical bar work. I will be adding table top wrist curls in soon.

Once Seni is out of the way I might start work on the one arm clean and press with a thick handle for fun (!).  

Guest Luke Reimer

Steve,

Thanks for the answers!  This is really fascinating. As far as dumbbells go, I’ve gathered so far that there are three levels of Inch simulations happening:

1. Inch-style handle diameter.

2. Inch-style handle diameter and length (such as PDA's Inch Dumbbell Bar)

3. Inch-style everything (a replica).

Now you’ve got me curious about all your training goodies,  so I hope you don't mind a few more questions:

1. On which type of setup did you find yourself limited to 226 pounds? (I guess this could not have been a replica because of the extra weight.) And where did you get it?

2. Where did you get the equipment for your heavier lifts? (i.e. the 259# one)

3. Why is it that you train with 2.5" handles (instead of 2.375 inches). Is there any historical significance to this diameter?

Thanks again for your answers so far!

1. 226 is the weight of Alan Radley and my Millennium Challenge Dumbbell. It is a replica of the weight Apollon used. There are four such dumbbells made and we own the pattern/mould.

2. I use a power rack rod/pin which is one inch diameter, 2 bulldog style collars and a handle from Pullum Sports (supplier of Ironmind equip in the UK).

3. Its what they have. Its a Pullum repro of the thick handles Ironmind make. On our challenge dumbbell the handle is as per the Inch 2 and 3/8ths or 60mm.

Remember the Weider dumbells that were

composed of plates when assembled in order

would form globes? Sorta like some early Milo

bells.

Would it not be wonderful if an Inch replica could

be manufacuted in this way, even to the point of

having the loadable section of the bar he hex-

shaped so there would be no plates revolving,

and it would have the feel, length, diameter, etc

of a solid bell. All this would probably be expensive

to set up for manufacture, but eventually costs

could come down within our reach.

Are you listening PDA?

Its been done already! Or rather Alan R had a version of our bell made up with a section missing (required the

bar through the centre to be in the mold but the rest to be blocked). It is supposed to weigh what the Inch weighs and weight can be added. However, I haven't and Alan who owns it claims not to have weighed it either. I have lifted it and feel its more like 180-190. I will send wanna a copy of the pic I think I still have on the harddrive. It'll give PDA an idea...  

That is a photo worth seeing. Please provide all

the measurements when you post the photo. That

would be an appropriate bell to use in competitions!

Joe,

I pursued replicating my 1908 Milo triplex kettlebell (which has split globes, uses conical shaped plates in the bottom half, and loads shot in the top half) for almost two years before accepting the project could not be done cost effectively by casting.  (The next step was our bell designs. Then Pavel came along(!) and we ship kbells every day.) Pattern and casting logistics are a nightmare, item weight and volume creates shipping and storage problems. It takes several thousand dollars to launch any single item and a few thousand at a time to keep a batch in stock (and take a look at how many we have). A casting project would absorb 3-4 times as much, thus holding back several other items. We are already wading in heavy R&D grip expenses and not likely to chase such an item.

On the other hand, why reinvent the wheel? Steve, you should distribute that piece. We ship all over the world, no reason you couldn't with that goody!

John

As stated just Alan has this one-off made using the specila inserts into the mold (his idea I might add). We also discussed making other bells but you have hit the head spot on when you mention problems we encountered. It took the foundry we used almost 6 months of pestering by us to get the four made.

So we then decided to have just the original 4. i ownm one, a mate has one, Alan has one plus the special and Wag Bennett the last.

However, there would have to be a lot of interest and it be financially worthwhile for us to consider other wise...

mobsterone,

The measurements, please. How much bar is

available for additional plates? Overall length

etc. How much does this 'half-bell' weigh?

I would enjoy having one of these prototype

bells, but I fear the cost of shipping it here

would scare me out of half my remaining years!

• 3 weeks later...

At the Arnold Classic this coming year, there will,

for the first time be a strongman contest. I have

suggested to one of the people in charge that it

would be a fine idea to hold a farmer's walk with a

pair of Inch replicas. The cost of four or six of the

replicas would mean that Arnold would have to take

out only a small loan.

I just sent my email; will let you know if anything

comes of it. What an event this would be- two or

three of the competitors trying to deadlift and then

walk with the replicas. Pity the man that

has to return the bells to the starting line!

My idea of having a farmer's walk at the strongman

contest in connection with the Arnold Classic about

three months from now is being seriously considered!

If this really takes place, it will be a first, and it

will be intriguing to witness.

Any guesses on what the record will become:

an Inch replica in each hand, walking for distance?

Let's hope the idea materializes.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got word that the farmer's walk at the

Arnold will not involve Inch replicas. Had really

hoped it would, and although I was not told

this, I suspect that one of the reasons was that

some of the contenders probably could not have

picked up two at the same time, and it would

have not been a very dramatic event to see

large men standing over bells they could not

elevate, let alone move forward with. Pity.