Your Personal Opinion

Sybersnott

Do You Think Kinney Closed The #4?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Think Kinney Closed The #4?

• Yes, I think he did.
    • No, I don't think he did.
    • Sybersnott - You're making Wannagrip mad!!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sybersnott

• Roark

• tmmicklabs

• Bill Piche

Rick Walker,

If you read this post, didn't you design/build something very similar in your garage that you posted last year?

Looks familiar.

I've a few questions about the secret weapon.

Who was selling it?

Which gripper is used (T,1,2,3,4)?

Is it a filed gripper?

It seems very similar to the Hardy Handshake sold by Ironmind.

Thanks

Simone

I might be wrong, but I believe that the idea behind the secret weapon is that it's not a 'gripper' per say, but a 'handle' that replicates a gripper (length/diameter) and then you hang various poundages with a chain and 'loading pin' off of the bottom handle (hinged or pinned) and then you can basically adjust the weight based upon strength and capability. Not meant for reps, but negatives/half closes/timed holds, etc.....

if you doubt Joe Kinney you might as well doubt all other cocs he got certified the same way cocs still do.

The same way? No he did not.

Last time I checked though, IronMind doesn't OK the use of a spouse as the official witness anymore. ;)

Simon,

About the SW, it simulates a closed gripper in a way.

Allow me some leeway on this, if you may. Pretend I were to close a #3 or even a #4 gripper. This would be a gripper you yourself could not close. I then hand it to you CLOSED, and then ask you to try and keep it closed for as long as you can. Obviously, that wouldn't happen for long, and your hand would open up due to the extreme pressure. This is what the SW does - it gets your hand used to the pressure and your hand gets stronger as a result.

Pain? I never felt so much pain as when training with this machine! That's why I don't recommend the SW for beginners. Anything above and beyond 100 pounds on the SW just plain ol' hurts!!

My routine was to do sets of singles, as heavy as I could. You can't do an extended routine with the SW, unless you're crazy or your Joe Kinney! :laugh Seriously, a few minutes and my hands were fried! But the results I got?.... wow!

The machine I bought was from Kinney himself (it was from the video). I don't know if he still sells it (it doesn't hurt to ask). What he wants for it now.... I don't know that either. The machine handles are the exact same diameter as the IM grippers, and the top post is machined so it doesn't pinch (although, when you put some weight on it - it won't matter). You can use it as a floor model, or bolt it to a wall and use it like that. Contact Joe Kinney for more info. about the SW.

Edited by Sybersnott

Snott. If this secret weapon machine is so great, then why have you not closed the # 4 just like Kinney did.

Or maybe you have but are going after the World Class instead.

:bow:bow:bow

There is a BIG difference between me and Kinney. Huge difference. Monumential difference.

The man is a superfreak when it comes to training grip. He would train so hard until he would vomit all over himself. SO HARD that his fingernails would bleed. He used insane poundages on the SW that I can't even imagine... or don't want to.

I've talked personally to Joe Kinney, and I'm throughly convinced - he is not of this Earth. I would pay good money to see someone, ANYONE, put 200 pounds on the SW and hold it for more than two seconds. Kinney was using an excess of 300 on the SW. :ohmy When I heard that, I dropped the phone. :ohmy:bow I learned more out of talking to him by telephone than I did in two months worth of grip training. I just wish I had taped that call.... I could of sold it and made a million! :yikes:tongue

I could "train like Kinney", but I would lose my sanity in the process. Is the #4 possible for me? Yes... but at what cost? I do have grip goals, and there are guys on this forum that have a better chance at the #4 than I ever will.

Holy crap.

300 pounds.

You should bring the SW to Rick Walkers and let Big Dave Morton give it a try.

I might just do that, since he's within a hair of closing the #4.

If you've never trained on an SW, it is an experience. I think 100 pounds would give most guys a run for their money... anything above and beyond that is superb. 300 pounds?!? :ohmy:blink World class! ;):yikes

i believe joe used 300# ON THE PLATELOADER FOR NEGATIVES HE WOULD USE TWO HANDS TO RAISE IT THEN HOLD IT WITH ONE HAND. i BELIEVE THE RATIO ON THE SW IS 4 TO ONE SO THAT WOULD BE 1200#. i HAVE WRITTEN JOE AND HE REPLIED HE SENT A TRACING OF HIS HAND ONLY A LITTLE :bow LONGER THAN MINE AND i AM 5/5. BTW GET THE KTA PROGRAM IT IS AWESOME i HAVE GAINED MORE IN THREE WEEKS THAN ONE YEAR THE OLD WAY

Snot - is he still selling them or did you make yours?

Wade,

I believe he is still selling them. Don't tell me you're interested in one too! :blink:( That's it.... I'm getting out of the grip biz!! :laugh;)

EDIT: Rick's SW is homemade, while I bought mine from Kinney.

Edited by Sybersnott

300# on the SW? If that is anything like the alleged 4:1 ratio on the Gripinator, then that is incredible. I find BTR negatives with 100# challenging on the Gripinator.

Robert

Wade,

Thor strength products makes an SW and they're located here in MN. Call Warren at 651-222-1889. I forget the exact price but the wall mounted model is very reasonable.

Dave O.

Thor's secret weapon is really nice. I beleive the price is about $65, I think.

Does anyone have a pic of that Thor's Secret Weapon??

Snott,

can you send pics of Kinney's Secret Weapon?

I'd like to build a homemade SW.

Thanks

Simone

Simon,

You can view a pic of it in the Grip Gallery.