Giant Spring For Bend Practice?

GotAGrip

Basically I am looking for something like a giant spring that can help with bending technique... anyone know of something that I could use?

The premise is simple, just a big spring that mimics a tough bend, but obviously restores itself after the tension has ceased. Would obviously run the risk of pinching your hand in between the coils, but surely a simple wrap would resolve that?

Gotta be something like that at Mcmaster Carr.

Garage door spring with handles. Not quite the same as steel bending.

It wasn't really for a "feat" as such, more just to grease the groove on light days.

Maybe 3 or 4 "garage door" springs tied together with a handle ;)

Edited by GotAGrip

I used to use a thick piece of polycarbonate rod to work kink flexibility and strength with the wider stuff. Found that to be helpful. Just slowly applied force to flex into bar and flex to maybe 20deg then back off. When I was bending the bigger stuff above the KOAB levels I was using a 3/4" x 7.5" piece I think. Below that level I used 5/8". Maybe something like that would help you in 1/2" range.

- Aaron

• Like 1

I use the stand for my old reflex bag... It has the perfect resistance... I usually work reverse with it

I'll check it out, know where you bought it from?

i got it from title boxing years ago and stopped using it... one day was looking at the spring and i was like ...hmmm :grin: .... it works perfect but i don't know if you wanna spent 140 for the whole thing.. the wrist developer may be a better bet for reverse or DU.. with this thing you can work all three styles

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add to what jvance said, you can pick up a power twister off eBay for pretty cheap. They have one rated at 30kgs and 40kgs. It's for working the chest / upper body, but its ideal for what you want it for. I had the idea from a video over on the steelbenders.org website.

Just to add to what jvance said, you can pick up a power twister off eBay for pretty cheap. They have one rated at 30kgs and 40kgs. It's for working the chest / upper body, but its ideal for what you want it for. I had the idea from a video over on the steelbenders.org website.

just checked it out... for 20 bucks, you can't go wrong.. and it basically is the same thing as what i use - only i just happened to have an old reflex bag

how does the resistance at 40kgs feel?

great find dude

just checked it out... for 20 bucks, you can't go wrong.. and it basically is the same thing as what i use - only i just happened to have an old reflex bag

great find dude

40kg's is probably what you want if your going to get either. the 30kg's might be a bit light. i wouldnt consider myself strong, and given that ive only just started i can bend the spring quite a bit, but still have lots to work with. i think its one of those tools that will always be useful no matter how strong you get. you can do isometric holds, reps, or even more sets if it feels too easy.

there are larger ones about incase anyones interested. i think they might be too big personally.. i found this video where this guy tests out a bunch of Python Grip Power Twisters.

if you do go with the larger springs, you could always use the weight hanging method he does around the 2:10 mark. hopefully it can give you some of you ideas on improvising if anything.

• Like 1

great find dude

40kg's is probably what you want if your going to get either. the 30kg's might be a bit light. i wouldnt consider myself strong, and given that ive only just started i can bend the spring quite a bit, but still have lots to work with. i think its one of those tools that will always be useful no matter how strong you get. you can do isometric holds, reps, or even more sets if it feels too easy.

there are larger ones about incase anyones interested. i think they might be too big personally.. i found this video where this guy tests out a bunch of Python Grip Power Twisters.

if you do go with the larger springs, you could always use the weight hanging method he does around the 2:10 mark. hopefully it can give you some of you ideas on improvising if anything.

would the wrist straps help if he accidentally let go of the spring? would probably tear his hand clean off haha.

I like the look of them things though, thank you

i dont think the straps will make alot of difference to be honest, you can use them for peace of mind, but youd probably be better of using chalk. dont leave the chalk on the springs though, it can lead to rust sometimes. best to clean it not to avoid ruining the spring.

get the 40kg one if you do go ahead with it. i dont think you'll be disapointed with that one.

i dont think the straps will make alot of difference to be honest, you can use them for peace of mind, but youd probably be better of using chalk. dont leave the chalk on the springs though, it can lead to rust sometimes. best to clean it not to avoid ruining the spring.

get the 40kg one if you do go ahead with it. i dont think you'll be disapointed with that one.

Yeah, the 40kg would plenty... when it gets too easy, change the position (for example, bend it while it's above your head or behind your glutes) to make it harder. Pinching your buttcheek in the spring could hurt a bit though hahaha.

Yeah, the 40kg would plenty... when it gets too easy, change the position (for example, bend it while it's above your head or behind your glutes) to make it harder. Pinching your buttcheek in the spring could hurt a bit though hahaha.

true enough. to mix it up a bit, you can also grip it by the spring, the handles, or the bit of steel in between the handle and the spring. food for thought. hope this helps.