3.0 Inch Barbell

Shooter77B50

Hey everyone

Would it be a good idea to get a 3 inch rotating thick bar for my birthday? I am wanting to train my grip harder than the rest of me. I'm going to be doing powerlifting exercise with thick bar such as bench press & deadlifts.

Is it worth it along with grippers, pinch, and wrist rollers?

Well... Thickbar is always worth it. Moreso than grippers or wrist rollers. But 3 inches is super thick. If you've never done it before, or don't already have one, go for a 2" inch bar instead.

Also, I find 3" dumbbells to be more useful than 3" barbells. Just my opinion. But be careful with it, I injured my thumb and I think it was related to heavy use of a 3" dumbbell for cleans and presses. The overhead support seemed to over stress the thumb.

Edited by Mephistopholes
  • Like 1

I agree, I would go with the 2" bar because it will really tax the grip but it's not so big to cause injury.

I started using my 2" bar for everything.

• Like 2

Yeah I use mine for just about everything.

I don't think the 3" is necessarily dangerous. Deadlifiting with it could be great, but I think in positions where the hand is supporting it, like in the press, it over stresses the thumb... But also, it's so thick that if you're going the route of using it for everything, you're really going to be limiting the amount that you can use for your larger muscle groups. The 2" is just big enough to tax the grip and make the lifts more challenging without majorly limiting what you can do in your lifts (in terms of the amount lifted by the large muscle groups).

I'll just go with the 3 inch dumbbells if that sounds better

I have a 3" Barbell for sale if you are interested - $60 plus shipping.

• Like 1