New Toys Arrived Today, Sorinex Saxon Bar, Zenith 2 And 3

steve0

Came home to find two packages at the door. A couple of weeks ago I ordered the Saxon bar from the Sorinex website. I have been looking to have one made, but with the free shipping I decided to give this bar a try. I played around with it a little tonight and I am more then pleased with it. The bar is made to take Olympic plates. The handle length is right around 40" and the overall length is right around 64". i will get a weight on it later. The hanle is 3"x4". The powder coating on the bar holds chalk well. The construction of the bar is great, down to the little details like the plastic caps at the end of the bars. This bar was money well spent!

I am also very excited about the new Zenith line from Ironmind. I ordered the 2 and 3 grippers which also came today. The grippers are well constructed and have a good look to them. They feel great in your hand. The feel is different then a COC. Seems easier in the sweep and more difficult in the close. These grippers will be very helpfull for me in my training since I am concentrating less on grippers and more on thick bar for the next few months.

Pictures added to my gallery.

I've been looking at getting the sorinex saxon bar too. I don't have a euro pinch setup and thought this could take the place, plus you can do curls with it.

Btw sweet gym!!

I love my home made saxxon bar, check it out.

how do you find closing those grippers without kurling? is it hard to keep a good set? is it all about the thumb?

Closing the grippers without the knurling is not bad because of the contour. The only gripper closes I have been doing in the last few months are with a polished Atomgripz triple band so I am used to the smooth handles.

I love my home made saxxon bar, check it out.

Are you referring to your youtube link to see your home made saxxon bar? I wasn't sure if you had a link. I'd really like to see if and see how you made it. I've been making a bunch of home made stuff and it's been coming out very nice. Would love to add this to the home made collection.

It is great that many guys make their own stuff, and my hats off to your skills. No disrespect intended here, but this is the guy's business, and he is a sponsor of this website. Making mention of a knock off of his Saxon Bar is not too cool. Just my two cents. I am sure that I will get blasted for my opinion here like I usually do, but Richard Sorin has done so much to put grip on the map, and is a nice guy to boot. He deserves a little more respect than this.

Sorinex's customer service is really great and they have never failed to deliver on their promises to me, and their equipment has always been above my expectations as far as quality goes. When it comes to equipment, you get what you pay for. I will never "cheap out" on equipment, because it is not worth risking my personal safety to save a few dollars. That is a lesson that I learned the hard way a long time ago.

NBranson- If you ask Richard, he may be able to make a custom bar for you that will take standard plates. He built me a custom grip machine years ago that had 3/4" diameter handles to mimic the thickness of gripper handles instead of the 1" diameter handles that the machine normally came with.

It is great that many guys make their own stuff, and my hats off to your skills. No disrespect intended here, but this is the guy's business, and he is a sponsor of this website. Making mention of a knock off of his Saxon Bar is not too cool. Just my two cents. I am sure that I will get blasted for my opinion here like I usually do, but Richard Sorin has done so much to put grip on the map, and is a nice guy to boot. He deserves a little more respect than this.

Sorinex's customer service is really great and they have never failed to deliver on their promises to me, and their equipment has always been above my expectations as far as quality goes. When it comes to equipment, you get what you pay for. I will never "cheap out" on equipment, because it is not worth risking my personal safety to save a few dollars. That is a lesson that I learned the hard way a long time ago.

NBranson- If you ask Richard, he may be able to make a custom bar for you that will take standard plates. He built me a custom grip machine years ago that had 3/4" diameter handles to mimic the thickness of gripper handles instead of the 1" diameter handles that the machine normally came with.

While I appreciate what you are saying here a great deal in regards to knock-offs of the Sorinex Saxon Bar. This is actually the first I've heard they are making one and leads me to believe it is a new product. I made my own Pinch bar to emulate one of the Saxon Pinch feats in mid 2010 and called it a Saxon bar to pay homage. I know for a fact that Parris built his bar based on mine because he asked me for detailed info on it back more than 2yrs back. I'm sure that the Sorinex Saxon Bar is a fine piece of equipment, I just dispute your claim that Parris made a knock off of it.

- Aaron

I also built one back in 2010 after seeing Aaron's. I also know Adam had one similar made prior to that with 2 hand holds and one with the 3" grip quite a while ago as well.

Aaron- I do appreciate that you have taken the high road when not agreeing with me, and also appreciate that you know where I am going with this.

There really is nothing new in The Iron Game. If you or somebody else had a design out there for this piece of equipment before it was marketed and sold by Sorinex, then perhaps the name could have been trademarked and the design could have been patented, or whatever. If you have a good piece of equipment in the future, this is something to consider so you get proper credit for your inventiveness.

Meanwhile, Sorinex sponsors this board, sponsors The Mighty Mitts contest at a large cost to them and is trying to move things forward for grip-related contests and items. That is why I take the stance that I do and will not waver. Richard has given alot to the world of grip and we should all give a little back to him so he can continue to do what he does.

Aaron- I do appreciate that you have taken the high road when not agreeing with me, and also appreciate that you know where I am going with this.

There really is nothing new in The Iron Game. If you or somebody else had a design out there for this piece of equipment before it was marketed and sold by Sorinex, then perhaps the name could have been trademarked and the design could have been patented, or whatever. If you have a good piece of equipment in the future, this is something to consider so you get proper credit for your inventiveness.

Meanwhile, Sorinex sponsors this board, sponsors The Mighty Mitts contest at a large cost to them and is trying to move things forward for grip-related contests and items. That is why I take the stance that I do and will not waver. Richard has given alot to the world of grip and we should all give a little back to him so he can continue to do what he does.

I agree with everything you said. My only issue was that you seemed to be implying he had made a knock off of the Sorinex piece. I normally don't get involved with these discussions because I feel like its none of my damn business and I've got my own things to worry about. I just felt I had a vested interest in this case because I knew Parris had made his "Saxon" bar based on my design. I also agree that it was not really fitting for him to mention his DIY piece in the thread as well. There was nothing commercially available to fit that need when I made mine and I'm a pretty good fabricator as well so I had no issues with whipping up a sturdy tool. I just have no interest in getting into the line of business of making and selling equipment in volume like Mr. Sorin, and so I'm glad as well that he has brought this to market for all to enjoy.

- Aaron

Edited by acorn

I’ve been training with weights since 1959. I built my first grip machine around 1961 maybe – from a design in Strength and Health magazine. My grandfather and I made it using 2 x 4s and it worked just fine. I had a guillotine model in around 1966 or 67 made from steel like most around today that a neighbor welded up for me. I had fat handle dumbbells and barbells around that same time period that I made up as a teenager. I had wooden pinch blocks in the middle 60s. The Saxon Pinch barbell has been around for many decades obviously and many many people have made them long before they were available commercially from a GB sponsor (only recently) or any other company. I have many items from Iron Mind and a few from Sorinex as well and buy from them as possible – they both make very high quality stuff. But I’ll be honest and say I also have many home made items – my power rack – Glute Ham – Squat stands – Olympic platform – band platform – stones - and probably 10 items of my own design that are available no place except in my garage. Did I copy plans to make them - well sort of - a Power Rack looks like a power rack and so does mine - is it a "copy" of someones - no it is not - I made it to my own specs and it's like but in no way identical to any commercial model. Copying designs for personal use that have been around for decades is different that copying items that Richard or Randall etc came up with their selves. Those old items that I see in old books I feel are as fair game for private makers as they are for any manufacturer. Unless of course there is copyright or legal protection in place etc. I also feel you should figure this stuff out on your own and not be given plans off of someone’s commercial version on the board. There is making a home made item from an old picture (or out of your own mind) and there is "copying" a commercial item from their measurements etc - they can be two quite different things I feel.

• Like 3

What were the dimensions on the original Saxon bar if anyone knows?

What were the dimensions on the original Saxon bar if anyone knows?

There are quite a number of differing accounts on that. Most common are either 2" wide or 3" wide. Wood, various lengths, heights and weights quoted.

- Aaron

There's a good article by David Horne on the Diesel Crew site that goes into it pretty good.

Great points from everyone! I guess Saxon or Apollon could tell us more if they were alive about when they were first tossing pinched heavy planks overhead. Concepts in weight training are ageless and we hold in reverence and respect the inventiveness of our early strength heros.I sincerely try to support strength and grip where I can and with the loyal sweat of our workers and the patronage of our customers to provide bread on the table for our families .I am thankful for any of you giving us a means to to that. R. Sorin

• Like 2

Hey guys just saw what's goingon in the thread. To catch u up 3crusher I did get my the Saxon bar info from Aaron a couple years ago I also consulted Jason and I think it was Bob L too. I posted my pictures in January 2012 here on the grip board you can see them your self and the date. I have Olympic and 1" versions too. I'm not knocking off Richards saxon bar so you really shouldn't go there. I made it up the way I personally envisioned it from what I read about Arthur Saxon on page 13 of George Jowetts "moulding a mighty grip" perhaps you should read it yourself before you throw out accusations about me. Take a look yourself and swallow your pride. I think Sorinex made up a functional Saxon bar. However I believe I deserve an apology from you.

Moulding a mighty grip

http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/Competition/Jowett/MMM/grip/grip01.htm

Thanks for watching out for me guys

Parris

Parris,

You have skills and make nice equipment, and that is great.

So sorry (there is my apology) for "going there" (I just love that talk show vernacular) and offending you.

I looked at myself. Overall, I like what I see, but maybe I can stand to lose a few pounds.

Pride swallowed. With a pinch of salt, it tasted great.

Enjoy your training!

PS- I was wrong here, but if you ever make original equipment and it is copied by somebody else, would it piss you off? Next time, I will do my homework before pointing a finger, but maybe you will at least see this point.

Edited by 3Crusher

Parris,

You have skills and make nice equipment, and that is great.

So sorry (there is my apology) for "going there" (I just love that talk show vernacular) and offending you.

I looked at myself. Overall, I like what I see, but maybe I can stand to lose a few pounds.

Pride swallowed. With a pinch of salt, it tasted great.

Enjoy your training!

PS- I was wrong here, but if you ever make original equipment and it is copied by somebody else, would it piss you off? Next time, I will do my homework before pointing a finger, but maybe you will at least see this point.

Apology Accepted. Be cool, I'm not selling anything until I am a sponser

I see no problem in making something for yourself and saving money. Times are hard! They are aroud my neighbourhood anyways!

Only when someone starts making copies and selling can I see a moral issue.

Thats theft in a way.

But not when you build something for yourself, even if you use messurements that are exactly like the ones you buy.

My take on it.

• Like 1