Good Bolt Cutters For Stock?

canthar

So after tearing the tendon sheathing on my right hand some time ago I'm going to get back into bending. Anyone have a good recommendation for bolt cutters that will last for cutting stock with?

Angle grinder. Under 100$ and worth it. Can also grind the ends of bars so you don't destroy your wraps

• Like 1

Angle grinder. Under 100$ and worth it. Can also grind the ends of bars so you don't destroy your wraps

Second the motion.

You guys and your fancy tools! I'm just kidding, that's actually a great option but if you're looking for a good cheap option get a

Neiko Heavy Duty 4,000 LB Bolt Cutter - Chrome Molybdenum Blades - 30-Inch. Price is about $27 on amazon.

This is what I've been using. It's a crude way of cutting your stock but it's super fast, gives a nice cut and easy to do. I lobbed off all the bolt heads on the rest of my grade 5's, grade 8's and tested on a few reds and works great. Just another option depending on how much you want to spend.

You guys and your fancy tools! I'm just kidding, that's actually a great option but if you're looking for a good cheap option get aNeiko Heavy Duty 4,000 LB Bolt Cutter - Chrome Molybdenum Blades - 30-Inch. Price is about $27 on amazon.

This is what I've been using. It's a crude way of cutting your stock but it's super fast, gives a nice cut and easy to do. I lobbed off all the bolt heads on the rest of my grade 5's, grade 8's and tested on a few reds and works great. Just another option depending on how much you want to spend.

Actually...you can get a number of cheap angle grinders...if you don't mind them corded.

I wouldn't recommend the $22 no name one, but there are several decent brands that you get under $60.

Bolt cutters are awesome and pretty much last forever...I just prefer the angle grinder because you can clean the nails up. (As Mike says...it saves your pads bigtime.)

Besides...you can use the Angle grinder to create your homemade Axle. ;)

I can't wait till I finish up on the axel and vbar. Got a new sawzall blade to finish the cutting and only need the floor flange for the vbar and then I'll be in business! The ghetto Euro is a nice substitute as well. Thanks again for the suggestion.

• Like 1

Never thought about an angle grinder was just going to do a bit of filing by hand.

Never thought about an angle grinder was just going to do a bit of filing by hand.

I guess that depends on your quantity of nails. Last time I cleaned nails I did 120. Would of taken a while by hand.

I bought a bench grinder for $40 and had a cheap bolt cutter laying around. The bolt cutter never failed and it only took an additional 15 seconds to grind the ends and wire wheel the burs off. Quickest and fairly cheap way IMO.

• Like 1

Hacksaw, vise and a file. I have a big pair of bolt cutters but I ended up cutting most of my training stock with the hacksaw and filing the ends. Whenever I used the bolt cutters without doing some serious file work on the ends after it would always chew up or punch through my wraps. The cleaner ends on the hacksawed ones didn't punch through quite so often on the big bends.

- Aaron

Aaron does have a good point - if you use a cheaper bolt cutter (I do), it doesn't leave a very clean cut over time, and so one has to take the metal to the grinder to clean it up for the health of the pads.