Zenith #3 (z3)

John McCarter

Just got this gripper in the mail today. Feels easier than any #3 CoC I have ever tried. (I wonder what these would feel like if a #4 model would be made?)

http://youtu.be/YHTq51QT7bs

• Like 2

About how much easier, would you say? Do you think it would be a good "bridge the gap" gripper?

About how much easier, would you say? Do you think it would be a good "bridge the gap" gripper?

I would have to say it would be a good bridge gripper. I know it will help my left hand.

I would have to say it would be a good bridge gripper. I know it will help my left hand.

Interesting...

Can you measure the spring size with micrometer?

If he doesn't have one, I can do this as soon as mine arrive.

Can you measure the spring size with micrometer?

Here's what I got comparing a normal CoC #3 with the Z3:

CoC #3 -
Spring size above the handle 0.27/7mm
Size of the Spring from the Outside - 1.43/37mm
Size of the Spring from the inside - 0.91/22mm
Spread of the Gripper - 2.94/74mm
Handle Diameter in the Middle of the Gripper - 0.74/18mm

Handle Diameter at the bottom of the gripper - 0.74/18mm

Z3 - Spring Size above the Handle 0.27/7mm
Size of the Spring from the Outside of the Spring- 1.26/46mm
Size of the Spring from inside the Spring - 1.26/31mm
Spread of the Gripper - 2.62/66mm

Handle Diameter in the Middle of the Gripper - 0.97/24mm

Handle Diameter at the bottom of the gripper- 0.77/19mm

The Spring on the Z3 is huge compared to a CoC #3

How does it compare the the coc 2.5?

On the strength, it is stronger than a 2.5, and maybe slightly stronger than G.H.P. Level 6 (but I haven't used one of those for months). This is a good gripper to get to the #3, the only thing that may hinder people are the handles! Those handles are smooth; for myself, I always had trouble with smooth style handles (the gripper will like to slide). I don't think chalk will be good for using the "Z" Grippers, but the one thing I will say, they will not tear your hands up on doing reps. Very easy feel on the skin of the palms.

Edited by John McCarter
  • Like 5

Mine seems weaker than both my 2.5 and my ghp 6 as I cannot close either of those, yet I closed this Z3 right out of the package. To my hands it feels a little bit tougher than my 2 or on par with a BBSM. Also got the Z2 and it is just a little tougher than a Coc 1, but I'm loving them so far , they are nice companion grippers to the Cocs.

Personally, the Z3 is used for TNS reps. It's quite easy for me to get 20 reps TNS on this gripper.

Try holding it higher towards the spring as opposed to lower like a knurled gripper...

For me the Zenith hits the hand a little different than a normal gripper. My hand feels tension in different parts than when I'm just using normal grippers.

I was a bit surprised that I could close the #3 right and lefty with out straining. Id love to get the #4. The larger spring wind must make the tension easier. It also seems to make the tension more consistent throughout the close. I defiantly like this gripper series. The zenith spring on normal handles would be cool to try.

For me the Zenith hits the hand a little different than a normal gripper. My hand feels tension in different parts than when I'm just using normal grippers.

I was a bit surprised that I could close the #3 right and lefty with out straining. Id love to get the #4. The larger spring wind must make the tension easier. It also seems to make the tension more consistent throughout the close. I defiantly like this gripper series. The zenith spring on normal handles would be cool to try.

Are they planning on making a #4?

I'm still not totally sure what purpose these grippers serve.

• Like 2

The larger the diameter of the coil with torsion springs, the weaker the spring tension will be versus a spring of the same wire diameter but with smaller diameter coils. Further, the more coils in a torsion spring of the same wire diameter the weaker the tension will be as well.

A good example is RB grippers with different diameter coils but with the same wire size. The smaller diameter coils of the same wire size will be harder (more tension) than that of larger coil diameters with the same wire size.

Edited by Mighty Joe
  • Like 1

The larger the diameter of the coil with torsion springs, the weaker the spring tension will be versus a spring of the same wire diameter but with smaller diameter coils. Further, the more coils in a torsion spring of the same wire diameter the weaker the tension will be as well.

A good example is RB grippers with different diameter coils but with the same wire size. The smaller diameter coils of the same wire size will be harder (more tension) than that of larger coil diameters with the same wire size.

Was going to say about the RBs and tighter OD, nice call Joe. :)