Do I Have To Use A Set On Grippers?

duckplus

I've done some grip training before, but never with grippers. Is it really necessary to use a set when training, or is it just for contest use? It feels a lot easier when I don't set the gripper (other than positioning it in my hand, of course).

Thanks.

I've done some grip training before, but never with grippers. Is it really necessary to use a set when training, or is it just for contest use? It feels a lot easier when I don't set the gripper (other than positioning it in my hand, of course).

Thanks.

When it comes to grippers, you can do it any way that feels good to you, and no "setting" isn't just for contest. On easy grippers you can close with no problem, working "Table No Sets" are useful in that area. Harder grippers, if you can't close them, working from a MMS/Parallel distance may be what is needed (this would depend on what type of gripper you are using).

No, you dont. Do what feels best to you. But if you're planning on doing a cert or contest, see what the rules they provide for closing grippers are. If they have a set, you would probably want to train with that set. But for just regular training, no, do what feels best. I dont set grippers.

I guess by definition you always "set" a gripper. Of course that can vary from the slight wiggling around you are doing through all the various distances people use their off hand to help accomplish the partial closing before the final one hand effort to touch the handles. I don't see it as a right or wrong situation but as different ways I guess. In contest situations - you are always allowed to use a "more open" starting position but not a "more closed" one than what is called for - so what you are doing would satisfy the rules in any competitive setting - but would handicap you of course compared to those people taking advantage of the off hand.

if you can perfect your parallel set (paul knight has arguably the best technique i've seen), it will enable you to close much bigger grippers that you would otherwise not be able to table no set ... personally no setting your grippers will make your hands much stronger than if you only train with a parallel set. However, if you wanna go after big certs - at least practice the different set techniques so you can bust out those last millimeters

Really consider two things: 1) What are your goals, and 2) What feels best/most effective to you in your training? The answers to those two questions should tell you what you need to be doing.

I train no set and all different set distances, but in my opinion you get stronger the quickest from training MMS. Torsion spring grippers ramp up at the close. By training MMS, you are training at the part of the close with the most tension. As your MMS gripper close increases, your TNS, CCS etc... will also increase.

• Like 2

I train no set and all different set distances, but in my opinion you get stronger the quickest from training MMS. Torsion spring grippers ramp up at the close. By training MMS, you are training at the part of the close with the most tension. As your MMS gripper close increases, your TNS, CCS etc... will also increase.

In my case, this was also true. As soon as I could MMS a #3, I could TNS my #2.5 even without working that range. I have heard though, that it is not case...for everyone.

the set you train will make you stronger in that ROM. generally the deeper the set the 'easier' it is to close the gripper, or conversely, the heavier the gripper you can close (in that set). think of deep set as a partial, like being able to do heavier rackpulls than full ROM deadlifts.

I usually train with a CCS, but occasionally MMS just to change it up. for my two cents worth I think a CCS has more real world application in my world. ymmv.

Edited by chilliman64

the set you train will make you stronger in that ROM. generally the deeper the set the 'easier' it is to close the gripper, or conversely, the heavier the gripper you can close (in that set). think of deep set as a partial, like being able to do heavier rackpulls than full ROM deadlifts.

I usually train with a CCS, but occasionally MMS just to change it up. for my two cents worth I think a CCS has more real world application in my world. ymmv.

The dead lift analogy isn't totally appropriate, as the dead lift has a descending strength curve (less strength is needed as the bar moves away from the floor as the body is in an increasingly better mechanical position) while grippers have almost an ascending strength curve (more force is needed the closer the handles).

yep, you are stronger in the top of the movement. same as grippers. the closer you are to full crush thanks to the favourable position afforded by the deep set the more strength you can use, or (probably) more correctly, the more strength you can apply to the gripper due to optimal body mechanics.

but then again you sound like you know a lot more than me about it - thank you for your contribution.

edited for spelling

Edited by chilliman64