Getting Tremendous Results From Simple Resistance Bands

jvance

Just thought I'd share some training ideas that have been blasting me through a plateau in my grip training.

The concept is simple; just like using chains with your bench press, I take physical therapy bands and use them to add progressive resistances to just about any type of grip exercise

This has really added a new dimension into my grip training and it has been instrumental in taking me to the next level

Train hard,

-Jon

• Like 3

I forgot to mention this - but you can probably already tell that there are endless possibilities with this kind of a setup. I also use it for Rolling Thunder, hub, or sledgehammer work. Although I don't have a euro, I am sure that could be used as well.

Resistance bands are the future of all training! The benefits are numerous over weights alone.

Bad news is bands are not often used, under rated (by the uninformed), and their potential is rarely

realized due to impatience and a hard wired belief system ingrained from years of misinformation from others

that continue to spread misinformation because they won't question anything and actually test and see for themselves

if said claim works or not.

I would say over 80% of my current training involves resistance bands. My progress since incorporating

bands is unparalleled when comparing past training journals where weights only were used.

You're are the road to success jvance!

Thanks for sharing your ideas here!!!

• Like 1

One of the aspects of band training I'm trying to experiment with is speed. In powerlifting, bands are chains are used to develop the speed at which force is produced.

I think I'm going to need lighter bands though if this is going to work...

MJ, try using a pair of oven mitts when you do your "around the world" routine and tell me what you think...really stresses the hypothenar eminence muscle.

Thanks for the kind words mighty joe,

The best part of using the bands with conventional lifts is that I am getting much stronger at lockout... This will only help me prepare for future competition. I think that it useful neurologically because I am training the cns to pull harder at the top of the lift.

Hope everyone had a merry Christmas and I wish you all a happy New Years with many PRs

This topic is very interesting.

I understand how bands are very helpful with the bench press, squat and deadlift; as I am much stronger in the top position. I like the feel of the bands on the Sorinex Pop's Gripper and "secret weapon" attachment.

However, I do not see how I am stronger pinch gripping a Blob off a 2-1/2 ft. box - vs. pinch gripping the same Blob lying on the floor. This is all thumb/finger, grip strength. The legs, hips and back are not involved. However, I may be missing something here.

I am certainly going to experiment on this.

Mighty Joe, could you please go into a little more detail on what you do with the bands (I really do follow what you say - your video on the "Thumb Blaster" was great).

Gary Gray

Innovative idea bro. I just recieved bands from my PL lifts. I know others have tried it on the 2HP. I know from personal experience that dynamic type lifting is best. I used to load up 2x35s with 27+# with a loose rope. It was like adding chains on a barbell, but for a one hand pinch. The key was to pinch and pull like all hell to get the benefit of the dynamic effort. Being gentle didn't work.

This topic is very interesting.

I understand how bands are very helpful with the bench press, squat and deadlift; as I am much stronger in the top position. I like the feel of the bands on the Sorinex Pop's Gripper and "secret weapon" attachment.

However, I do not see how I am stronger pinch gripping a Blob off a 2-1/2 ft. box - vs. pinch gripping the same Blob lying on the floor. This is all thumb/finger, grip strength. The legs, hips and back are not involved. However, I may be missing something here.

I am certainly going to experiment on this.

Mighty Joe, could you please go into a little more detail on what you do with the bands (I really do follow what you say - your video on the "Thumb Blaster" was great).

Gary Gray

GG,

Using bands with the three powerlifts, you're training your body to explode into lifts. The use of a box in powerlifting is like squatting beyond the range...or pulling from a deficit. No real relevance to grip training unless you're maybe training the hub lifts for endurance or at a certain height...in this case, you'll place the pinch object on the box vice stand on it.

Take the squat for example...in the hole, you've deloaded all the band tension. When you stand up, all that band tension gradually comes back. The slower you rise, the more you'll feel it and risk bombing. However, if you explode up, you'll outrun the band tension.

With grippers, you're essentially teaching you're body to explode into the grippers or lifts, as Daniel stated above.

Innovative idea bro. I just recieved bands from my PL lifts. I know others have tried it on the 2HP. I know from personal experience that dynamic type lifting is best. I used to load up 2x35s with 27+# with a loose rope. It was like adding chains on a barbell, but for a one hand pinch. The key was to pinch and pull like all hell to get the benefit of the dynamic effort. Being gentle didn't work.

The only thing I've ever gotten out of trying 2HP with bands is massive thumb webbing tears. I don't think they crossover quite so well with static friction based lifts like the 2HP as say a squat or DL. I am liking them with grippers lately though.

- Aaron

The only thing I've ever gotten out of trying 2HP with bands is massive thumb webbing tears. I don't think they crossover quite so well with static friction based lifts like the 2HP as say a squat or DL. I am liking them with grippers lately though.

- Aaron

how do you use them for grippers Aaron? Do you hook the finger handle in the band, close the gripper, then try to pull against the band to make the gripper want to open up?

- Aaron

how do you use them for grippers Aaron? Do you hook the finger handle in the band, close the gripper, then try to pull against the band to make the gripper want to open up?

Requires a gripper mod.

I haven't tried the bands with any TSGs, just the Vulcan cuz the band likes to force open the handles, especially when they're really stretched. Plus with the notches on the v2, the amount of band resistance is also adjustable

Daniel-I think my fave use for the bands is 1hp with those rounded 25s- a great weight for speed training

Aaron-what kind of mod do you do with your TSGs?

• 11 years later...

excellent comments and the band can be used in microloading with mini elastic bands on the baraband to work the last 2 fingers or first